Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You've all seen them.............

DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
Those framed "20th Century U.S. Coins" collections.............

I was just reading thru various posts here, and saw some nice pics of a SLQ and Barber dime and thought to myself that I wish I had started collecting them when I was younger, so I could have some in my collection today, as they are both beautiful designs..........

And it got me to thinking a bit more that it might be nice, since it's too late and too expensive & too hard to start & complete (or come close to) a set of such coins, to maybe shoot for collecting a nice, clean, detailed version of 1 coin of every Type just to be able to look at and admire their collective beauty (especially the older stuff - - not a HUGE fan of "moderns"...). As it stands right now, most of my coins in Whitman folders are from circulation gathered over the years.........

So here's a question for Forum experts with a bit of excess time on their hands............................

What would the complete list of 20th Century "type" coins be that are usually included in that single-framed set (none of the "varieties" or errors or DD's, etc) , and what year/mintmark would be my best bet to go after to get the most reasonably-priced "handsome" piece possible for each of the pieces? (Keeping in mind that I am definitely not rolling in money)

For example, I know I could only get a 1964 for a 90% JFK. But when considering IHC's, I could get anywhere between a 1900 & 1909 IHC (WITHOUT the "s" mintmark) - - but what would be the most "common" or accessible/affordable date to get if only looking to spend a few $ per coin? What would be the best date/mintmark to get for ALL the varieties I would need?

Again, I wouldn't be looking for Proof, but would like ones with sharp details & a nice shine to them.

Anyone up to the challenge?

And for anyone with even MORE time on their hands, what would be needed & what would you suggest for a 19th Century set ? (I just LOVE the designs for the Morgan, Flying IHC, 2-cent piece, etc!)

Thanks!image

Comments

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...Anyone up to the challenge? ... >>

Geez, get a Red Book; or aren't you up to the challenge? image -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Man, I was just searching for an empty frame on ebay. I have one I'm filling for obverse and want another for the reverses.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    evsiteevsite Posts: 141 ✭✭
    1) Look into the registry sets and review the set compositions. They list both 19th and 20th Century type sets
    2) Look at a 7070 set composition.
    3) review the PCGS price guide to hone in on what you can afford.
  • Options
    I see complete 20th century framed sets on Ebay ranging from $90 to $225. I have to wonder why so many basic questions about a basic set from someone with over 2000 posts?

Common dates, are common dates, for most series, if a coin isn't expensive it is one of many common dates. You mentioned Indian cents, all would be around the same price, except the two S mintmarks. Common date 20th century coins are everywhere. Just look for them, no need to mention any years. If certified, some will cost some money, but in high grade circulated, or low grade uncirculated, virtually all of them going to be under $10, quite a few under $2, with the Morgan and Peace at $12 to $20, depending on where a person buys.

The 19th century has quite a few more expensive coins such as the Seated dollar, the Trade dollar, some of the early Bust coins, and early copper. Someone who flinches at the $60 to $200 needed for a 20th century type set probably isn't going to have the money to afford the 19th century set. Search for "Dansco 7070" (it is an album) on the forum, and you'll find lots more information about type collecting.

• Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    To see what PCGS considers as a 20th Century
    type set, click on the link in my sig.

Edited to say that this is just one type set.
    Circulation strikes with no gold.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I think he is asking not because he doesn't have his own idea, but because he is curious as to what others would think should be in a "complete" set.

I would say the following:

IHC
    1909 VDB Lincoln
    1909-1958 Wheat Lincoln
    1943 Steel Lincoln
    1959-82 Lincoln
    Post 82 Lincoln
    2009 Lincoln (if you want)
    Liberty Nickel
    1913 Type 1 Buffalo
    1913-38 any buffalo.
    Any Jefferson
    1942-45 Silver Jefferson
    Any Barber Dime
    Any Merc Dime
    46-64 Silver Roosevelt
    Clad Roosevelt
    1916-17 Type 1SLQ
    1917-30 Type 2 SLQ
    1932-1964 Washington
    1965-1998 Clad Washington
    1976 Bicentennial Washington
    Statehood Washington
    Any Barber Half
    Any Walker Half
    Any Franklin Half
    1964 Kennedy (90%)
    1965-70 Kennedy (40%)
    1976 Kennedy
    Clad Kennedy
    Ike Dollar Silver
    Ike Dollar Clad
    1976 Ike Dollar Bicentennial
    1979-81 SBA Dollar
    1999 SBA Dollar
    Sac Dollar
    Any President Dollar

I think that covers the bases. Intentional changes only, though admitedly a couple of those weren't intended for circulation, but none are outright weird commemoratives. You could make the case for adding a silver and gold eagle too - but I wouldn't.

NOTE: I would think it would be especially cool to use transitional years for certain ones. For example 1909 VDB and a 1909 non VDB. A 1913 Type 1 Buff, AND a 1913 Type 2 Buff. A 1917SLQ Type 1 and a 1917 SLQ Type 2....... you get the idea.

Eric

• Options

There is also this one with type variations,
    which includes the VDB Lincoln, the No VDB
    Lincoln, The VDB on the obverse Lincoln, etc.

I'm still missing two coins in this set.

Mister Bungle's Other (Incomplete) Type Set

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    Thanks to all for their suggestions & links! I guess I should have been a bit clearer in my original question...........

Having spent my youth and ever since building a "circulated" collection in Whitman folders, I was lamenting a bit that I had never really stopped to put together a nice (and more limited than all the possibilities) type set with a beautiful example of each piece from the 20th Century. In addition to continuing my quest to fill holes, I was thinking about getting an example of each coin that I could hold up or hand to my friends/grandkids (wearing cotton gloves, of course, which I never had to do with my Whitman collections) and just marvel at their overall beauty & detail. Rather than try to put together a full-blown 7070-type 20th Century Type set, I was really talking just about a narrower, single-framed-page variety I've seen in the past standing on a bookshelf or hung on a wall.

Using MisterBungle's linked list as an excellent starting point, I would think the framed version of such a "collection" would have just 1 SLQ, for example, rather than the 2 "varieties". It would also have just 1 version of any Bicentennial coin vs 1 each clad & silver. And, as the example I remember was from many years ago, it likely would not even have separate holes for the most recent Lincoln "zinc" vs "copper", the state quarters, or the "raised" vs "flat" Buffalo.

I was really thinking along the lines of a more limited set. One where I could look at with my grandkids and say "here's what a Buffalo Nickel or Morgan Dollar, or IHC looked like", and be able to show them a nice example with little wear, full mottos, etc for them to "WOW!" over, as opposed to showing them a whole folder dedicated to any 1 variety that was mostly in circulated condition (that could come later).

To put something more basic together like that - - with nice examples but at a reasonable expense, was really the focus of my question.

As clarified by PutTogether, and in part to answer Preussen's and RedTigers' questions, given that starting point, I was really looking for opinions vs flat-out Red Book entries. While I agree the Red Book is an excellent source of info, sometimes those entries aren't very "real-world". The book might say that such-and-such a date was the most common, or cheapest in a certain condition, but my experience on these boards has been that people often have much keener insight as to actual trends, and would be able to say "the Red Book says go with the 1911, but my experience has been that the 1924 is more available in a better grade for less cost in reality........". Or that "there's been a flood recently of quality 19xx dates, and you'd never find the date in the book available in the condition you are seeking...." - - stuff like that.

I wasn't trying to get anyone to do a simple "homework" assignment that I could do myself - - it was to solicit opinions as to what others might recommend, given a similar experience or their knowledge of a specific series. After all, I don't think over 2000 posts means I should stop "learning" from the experience of others ........... it's been learning from others here on the Forum that has been responsible for many of those posts.

Hope that clarifies more where I was coming from.

Thanks to all who have responded so far!

- - Dave

P.S. As did PutTogether, I also fell into the "trap" of 20th vs 21st Century coins.......... I was wondering how I'd account for all those Pres Dollars, and 2009 Lincolns he had on his list, as well as the Jefferson obverses & reverses, until I remembered they were all from 2000 & beyond! image

And, by the way......... does the year 2000 (Sac $'s) count as 20th or 21st Century?
  • Options

"And, by the way......... does the year 2000 (Sac $'s) count as 20th or 21st Century?"
    -----
    They would go in the 21st Century set.

20th Century is considered 1900 through 1999 for the type sets.

~

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I picked those frames up at a coin show two years ago and filled them from stuff I had. They are up on the wall in my office. Nothing special, just decoration. I got two and did obverse and reverse.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options

Those are pretty cool frames.

I see that they consider 20th Century to run from
    1901 through 2000, and have the Sac Dollar
    included.

Interesting.

~

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone gave me a framed 20th c. type set, the coins are in Air-tites nested in the holes, makes taking them out and handing them around easier (can skip the gloves).
  • Options
    wasn't that a big argument, pre-millenium?

it actually starts/started in 2001, not 2000?

• Options
    Raybob:

Those 2 framed examples are exactly what I'm talking about! VERY nice!! And a bit larger/different from the older one my dad has at home from several decades ago. But one where I would truly get "oohs" and "aahs" on from the grandkids, and spark their collecting interests!

So in your case, you filled them from what you had - - I would be starting pretty much from scratch, which led to the main theme of my post.

Thx for the pix!

- - Daveimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file