Home Sports Talk
Options

NCAA TOURNEY - EARLY THREAD

I know it's early but it's my favorite time of year. The Super Bowl is almost over and then it's time to focus on the NCAA hoops for a while. Who is looking good? Bad? Who do you want to win? Etc.... I am a UCLA fan but at this point they would be a long shot to get to the final 4. No clear cut #1 as I thought earlier in the year. UNC is beatable, Wake is right there, Pitt, Duke, and I am sure I am forgetting a couple more. Discuss....

Comments

• Options
    No clear cut #1. I would agree with that, at least a dozen teams could have a legit claim to that title as you see the #1 position
    in the polls seeming to change every few days.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I think the Big East is certainly the best conference top to bottom and an argument can be made that 9 Big East teams should make the field of 65. That said, the top of the ACC is just brutal with Duke, Wake and UNC. I think we may see a few non-power conference top 5 seeds this year. There is a lot of parity and some of the mid-major conferences have Sweet 16 caliber teams right now.

If you asked me right now, I think I like Jamie Dixon's Pittsburgh team to win the tournament, but obviously it all depends on the bracket.
  • Options
    UNC is still #1 in my mind. The team has far too much talent and experience. I still remember people harping on the regular season losses FLA had in their 2nd tournament run. Although I think that FLA team would beat this UNC team, there is still a parallel in the way analysts have somewhat discounted UNC's chances thus far.

After UNC, there is a gaggle of teams, largely from the Big East and ACC, with MSU and OU (and no, I dont think Texas is that good).

The SEC is way down this year. Pac-10 is still too bunched up at the top....it looked like there would be some separation a few weeks ago with Cal, UCLA, U-dub and ASU. But, Cal has lost 3 of their last 4, ASU just lost to WSU and U-Dub lost to a reeling Arizona team. The conference needs to right the ship by separating teams. Otherwise, it may have a tough time getting 4 into the tournament.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, defending NCAA Champion Kansas has played poorly the last two games but won both. Barely beat Colorado at home today. They have a talented team but the freshman are pretty inconsistent. I think they'll be a lot better at the end of Big Twelve play than they are now and I won't rule out that they could make a big run in the NCAA tourney.
    They're currently 17-4 and not even ranked in the Top Twenty.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I'm a big UCLA fan, but the Bruins seem to forgot how to run their offense for long stretches. A few players have been calling out their teamates so we'll see what happens.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UConn!! Both Men and Women, a repeat of 2004!

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Big East is NOT best it's just BIGGEST. What do they have now, 35 teams? WOW you have 9 tourney quality teams out of a TON of teams in your conference. Oh boy! I think the ACC has the BEST teams just like the old days for them. UNC, Duke and Wake are 3 great teams. Big East is certainly better than recent years when they were horid but still not the best in my opinion. I would say ACC is best and everybody else is battling for 2nd best conf. Also, curious about the mid-majors. Utah State is getting a little press but they play in a very weak conference so tough to know what will happen in March.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Big East is NOT best it's just BIGGEST. What do they have now, 35 teams? WOW you have 9 tourney quality teams out of a TON of teams in your conference. Oh boy! I think the ACC has the BEST teams just like the old days for them. UNC, Duke and Wake are 3 great teams. Big East is certainly better than recent years when they were horid but still not the best in my opinion. I would say ACC is best and everybody else is battling for 2nd best conf. Also, curious about the mid-majors. Utah State is getting a little press but they play in a very weak conference so tough to know what will happen in March. >>

Only 16 Teams in the Big East. The ACC now has 12 after they stole the Big East's 3 best football schools. And overall they still suck in football! image
  • Options
    zeus135zeus135 Posts: 1,043
    The ACC now has 12 after they stole the Big East's 3 best football schools

The ACC didn't steal the teams, the Big East just didn't know how to hold on to them. image

It wouldn't surprise me if all four #1 seeds in the tourney are from the Big East and the ACC. Time will tell though, there's still a lot of basketball to be played.
    My humble '63 mint registry set, not much, but it's mine!
  • Options

<< <i> I would say ACC is best and everybody else is battling for 2nd best conf. >>

IF you are going to say the ACC is the best, than at least say the Big East is 2nd. I wouldnt clump the SEC, Big 12 and Pac-10 with the Big East, as it appears those 3 conferences are not as good.
  • Options
    I am just saying the Big East is substantially larger than the other conferences and so the fact that they have 7 or 8 teams in the top 25 is not such a huge deal to me. I don't have time to do the math. Additionally I think UNC, Duke and Wake are all top 5 teams leaving 1 or 2 spots for the Big East and/or Big 12.
  • Options
    I understand. But, the SEC has 0/10, the PAC-10 have 2/10 and the Big 12 have 2/12 ranked in the AP poll. The Big East have 8/16. Percentage wise and using AP rankings, the Big East is better than those conferences. You may have a valid argument with the ACC conf being better since 30% of their conference is ranked in the top 12, but let's not necessarily discount the Big East based purely on absolute numbers.
  • Options
    Well, I dont' really care which conference is No. 1, it really only matters what team is No. 1. In this case of course, its Kansas, until March Madness is over with.

But it was sure funny seeing both Duke and Wake Forest getting beat by 27 points tonight. Oklahoma barely got by Texas AM, and Missouri beat Texas.
    Just goes to show in my opinion there are at least 10-15 teams that could win the whole thing.
  • Options
    i say the lakers will win///or maybe duke...lol
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options

<< <i>Well, defending NCAA Champion Kansas has played poorly the last two games but won both. Barely beat Colorado at home today. They have a talented team but the freshman are pretty inconsistent. I think they'll be a lot better at the end of Big Twelve play than they are now and I won't rule out that they could make a big run in the NCAA tourney.
    They're currently 17-4 and not even ranked in the Top Twenty. >>

UPDATE:
    #15 Kansas dismantles #11 Missouri today 90-65. Coach Self should be coach of the year after this.
    No starters remained from last year's team, and now they're 24-5 and gunning for a possible No. 2 seed in the NCAA tourney.
    Amazing!
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, defending NCAA Champion Kansas has played poorly the last two games but won both. Barely beat Colorado at home today. They have a talented team but the freshman are pretty inconsistent. I think they'll be a lot better at the end of Big Twelve play than they are now and I won't rule out that they could make a big run in the NCAA tourney.
    They're currently 17-4 and not even ranked in the Top Twenty. >>

UPDATE:
    #15 Kansas dismantles #11 Missouri today 90-65. Coach Self should be coach of the year after this.
    No starters remained from last year's team, and now they're 24-5 and gunning for a possible No. 2 seed in the NCAA tourney.
    Amazing! >>

Shows how laughable those rankings where last month.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    This might be the year a number 8-10 seed wins the whole she-bang....I mean seriously, there is not one single team you can point to that is head and shoulders above the rest...I think we're headed for a scenario like a few years ago, when no #1 seeds made it to the Final 4....which means dismal ratings, since everyone's brackets will be shot.
  • Options
    "....I mean seriously, there is not one single team you can point to that is head and shoulders above the rest...I think we're headed for a scenario like a few years ago, when no #1 seeds made it to the Final 4...."

Yup, I agree. I like Villanova. They've been ranked somewhere between #10 and #16 for the entire year. They've been very consistent (they don't get blown out even when they lose). They've competed well against the best Big East teams. They're difficult to defend because all of their players can and do score. They have great guards (i.e. each can distribute the ball, each can drive the hoop, and each can shoot "the 3") -- and great "guard play" usually beats a great "inside game" in college basketball. Villanova should be a #4 seed in the tournament.

Since I just talked 'em up, they'll probably lose in the 1st or 2nd round. image
  • Options
    My Pac 10 is way down. I could see all 5 teams from the Pac 10 losing their opening games....
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, as you guys know, we (Kentucky) lost the last two crucial games (we really could've used that LSU upset) and now we find ourselves *gasp!* on the bubble. image If we win our last two we should still squeak into the field but even then at least one win in the SEC tourney wouldn't hurt.

Still, I refuse to give up until the final buzzer, no matter how bleak our situation looks right now.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>This might be the year a number 8-10 seed >>

Well, if we even make the tourney at all, that'll be our seed. image So if we can (somehow) get our act together and start trying a little harder, who knows?

Then again, we haven't even gotten past the first weekend of the tourney since 2005 (when we came just short of a Final Four).

<< <i>which means dismal ratings, since everyone's brackets will be shot. >>

I couldn't care less as long as my team can (somehow) make a last mintue comeback and makes a deep run this year (Why not? Stranger things have happened; who saw 2006 George Mason coming?)
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    I think the #1 versus #2 thing is so silly. Why is Memphis so worried about being a "#1" seed!? Being #1 out west seems much worse than being a #2 in the east or midwest. I assume they can't be in the south the second weekend they are the host!? However, if they are #1 in the west they would play in Phoenix the second weekend where as #2 in the midwest and they would play in Indy the second weekend where many more of their fans could be!?
  • Options
    Anybody else watching the NCAA selection show!?
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Louisville #1 overall? Please.
  • Options
    I don't see how UCLA fell to a 6 seed and IN PHILI where they would play Villanova in game 2!? That's a raw deal. Also, my west coast bias has me upset that SDSU and St. Mary's were excluded. With Patty Mills healthy St. Mary's is a very strong team.
  • Options

<< <i>Louisville #1 overall? Please. >>

Why not?
  • Options
    How is LSU only an 8 seed? If they don't lose to Miss St in the stupid conference tourney, they are probably a 3 or 4.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    LSU good luck with Butler, nobody wants them in their first game.

I have to get this one in while it's early. GO CORNELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Red 2 in a row.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>How is LSU only an 8 seed? If they don't lose to Miss St in the stupid conference tourney, they are probably a 3 or 4. >>

No offense, but you guys aren't THAT good on paper.

1. The SEC is GARBAGE this year. (there's a reason MISS St. has the same seeding as Cleveland St., Akron, and Portland St.)
    2. You got WORKED by Utah (91-61, at Utah)
    3. Lost to Texas A&M (neutral floor)
    4. Lost to Xavier (at home)
    5. One win vs. the Top 50 (Tennessee by 6)
    6. Beat an NIT bound (maybe) Washington St. team (at home)....that's your best Non Conference win.
    7. RPI-37 ( San Diego St. was snubbed with an RPI of 35)

edit: If you win the SEC tourney, you're probably still a 6 seed at best.
  • Options

<< <i>edit: If you win the SEC tourney, you're probably still a 6 seed at best. >>

SHUDDUP!!

I agree the SEC was garbage this year but the losses you stated were the only losses of the entire season with the exception of the Miss St game. How does Duke lose twice in the same week and only drop 2 spots in the polls? Not related but still irks me.
  • Options
    Sorry image
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry >>

Forgiven
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Not worth creating a new thread but you can stream the 1st round for free here -> link
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    What upsets are you guys predicting in round 1?

I like Utah State over Marquette.

Also, who do you have lower than a 9 seed that you pick going to the sweet 16?

I like Wisconsin to win two games.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I have to get this one in while it's early. GO CORNELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Red 2 in a row. >>

Better get to prayin, sir... here comes the fastest 40 minutes in basketball.

MIZ ZOU

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of prayer, NDSU made the big dance for the first time. They get to play Kansas image . Will be a fun game to watch anyways. For a NoDak that is image
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    go western ky....

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking of prayer, NDSU made the big dance for the first time. They get to play Kansas image . Will be a fun game to watch anyways. For a NoDak that is image >>

Karb, I'm a Kansas fan and I hate to say it but you guys might have a decent chance. We lost to both Texas Tech and Baylor late in the season. Before those losses KU was playing very well, so I hope they haven't lost their confidence.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Noles baby!
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    UCLA survives. Go Western Kentucky
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    How about my local Hilltoppers? image I guess if Kentucky isn't in it this year, might as well root for someone. Plus I'll root for whoever is playing Loserville. Go Morehead State! image
    WISHLIST
  • Options

<< <i>Noles baby! >>

Buh bye now, Joey.
  • Options
    Villanova really took it to UCLA today -- beat them by 20 points.

Yep, I know the game was played only 25 miles from the Villanova campus. But Villanova has a fun team to watch -- tough defense, 3-point shooting, excellent passing, and about 8 guys contribute in a significant way. Very well balanced.
  • Options
    Defending champion Kansas in the Sweet Sixteen after returning 0 starters from last years team.
    Cole Aldrich, 13 points, 20 rebounds, 10 blocks.

• Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    i say UNC will take it all..
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Villanova really took it to UCLA today -- beat them by 20 points.

Yep, I know the game was played only 25 miles from the Villanova campus. But Villanova has a fun team to watch -- tough defense, 3-point shooting, excellent passing, and about 8 guys contribute in a significant way. Very well balanced. >>

I saw this early loss/exit coming for the Bruins as they had really struggled this year. Great win for Villanova and their fans.
  • Options
    I'm gonna keep tootin' the Villanova horn. Great win against Pitt -- was that an exciting game or what?!

I was out in Vegas on Saturday. I bet on Villanova to beat Pitt and watched the game in the Caesars Palace sports-betting lounge. Hundreds of sports bettors cheering wildly with each basket of an exceptionally-close game. It was awesome. Very exciting and lots of fun.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    So, what's been happening?
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Carolina Rolled over Villanova last night!
    UNC vs Michigan State Monday night.

GO HEELS!!
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Go Green!

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com