Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

OT Eddie Logan Santa Anita

EDDIE LOGAN, SANTA ANITA "FOOTMAN" SINCE 1934, CALLED HOME TO REST AT AGE 98
ARCADIA, Calif. (Jan. 31, 2009)—Eddie Logan, Santa Anita’s iconic shoeshine attendant since opening day, Dec. 25, 1934, and a former boxer and Negro League baseball player, passed away at his home in nearby Monrovia early Saturday morning at the age of 98. Born in 1910, he would have been 99 on May 20.

Eddie was quite a character and I was lucky to have him share stories as he shined my shoes many times through the years. He worked at Santa Anita from when they opened in 1934.
And he shined my shoes on my wedding day! Here's the photo's when he told my wife how it's done. I was married at Santa Anita.

RIP Eddie. You were one cool dude.
Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax

Comments

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    cant say I've ever had my shoes shined by anyone
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Great story, Eddie sure had a full life. Cheers to him and my he rest in peace. image

Cute wife, congrats. image
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Walked by him a few times. Now I wish I had stopped for a shoeshine and to chat.
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Walked by him a few times. Now I wish I had stopped for a shoeshine and to chat. >>

He loved to talk about the old Hollywood movie stars. Especially the big tippers.
    Sinatra gave him a $100 tip back in the 50's.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Walked by him a few times. Now I wish I had stopped for a shoeshine and to chat. >>

He loved to talk about the old Hollywood movie stars. Especially the big tippers.
    Sinatra gave him a $100 tip back in the 50's. >>

Sinatra was the most legendary tipper ever. There is a famous story about Frank playing golf in Palm Springs. When he was leaving the course he asked the valet what the biggest tip he ever got was. The valet said $100. Sinatra was amazed and gave the kid $200. As he was getting in his car he said, "by the way, who gave you the $100?" The kid said, "you did Mr. Sinatra, last week."

I love that story
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Santa Anita was my second home prior to moving up north 5 years ago. Met Eddie back in 1985. Too bad he never wrote a book. But BOY!!-he sure had the stories... RIP--May the Lord SHINE on you image