Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

hmm, is someone trying to scam me?

About a week ago, I purchased a Clyde Drexler on eBay, here is the link.

Here is a scan of the card I received today in the mail... Anyone see a difference? Sad thing is, the seller has 100% feedback. Has anyone dealt with this seller before?

Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yup IMO he pulled a bait and switch, he will try and say that he only said you are bidding on
    a Clyde Drexler card and that he never said it was the one pictured which IMO is BS. By showing
    a card he implies that it is the card being sold. If it was not the card then he should note that.

I'd be a tad pi$$ed off myself.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    The one you have appears to be off centered a bit more than the other.
    However both of them have an EERY mystery hand coming from out of the card to grab poor Clyde the Glyde. WATCH OUT!
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yup IMO he pulled a bait and switch, he will try and say that he only said you are bidding on
    a Clyde Drexler card and that he never said it was the one pictured which IMO is BS. By showing
    a card he implies that it is the card being sold. If it was not the card then he should note that.

Steve >>

If he tries to use that reasoning, he is going to receive his first negative feedback for sure. I'm tired of crap like this.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if he doesn't give your $$'s back.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    all that said.. I like the one you received more for corners
  • Options
    forsure this guy is scamming you....that is not the card u won
  • Options

<< <i>all that said.. I like the one you received more for corners >>

I don't know, the eBay scan shows pretty good corners IMO. With the card I received, an 8 is the best I could expect if I get it graded, and the way recent subs have come back, I'd probably get a 7.5
    Registry Sets

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    BC NO WAY is that the same card. I would NICELY tell him that you believe he sent you the wrong card ... tell him about the centering and see what he says. My guess is he will say he had a couple and must have sent your card to another bidder ... and then offer you a refund.

I have NEVER dealt with that seller. GOOD LUCK. Let us know what happens.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd be surprised if he doesn't give your $$'s back. >>

///////////

Ditto.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    The corners on the one in the auction looked good to me too.

Not sure the one you received would get a 7.5 grade either, 7 maybe.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Seeing he has a return policy getting the money back is not an issue.

The issue is why didn't the buyer get the card pictured?

Also it is going to cost the buyer 5.00 because of the way this seller conducted this sale.

Shipping is non refundable.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    I tend to believe that the seller was fully aware of what he pictured and what he sent you.

His 100% feedback score is deceptive too ... check out his Feedbacks from Others!

The guy's been around eBay for 10 years. The ball is definitely in your court.

I'd contact him to hear an explanation and then proceed with filing a SNAD dispute.

You may even want to file a SNAD asap, as I'm sure that will prompt the seller to contact you right away.

No excuse for his actions.

PoppaJ

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Just noticed he has the name of his card shop, along with a telephone number, at the bottom of the auction. Give him a call tomorrow and see what he has to say.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    If he goes through Paypal I think you'll get the amount of shipping you paid to the seller returned as well. If I made a mistake and sent the wrong card, I'd cover it both ways, but I would think at the most you would be out $2.00 to send it back to him/her Delivery Confirmation after going through Paypal. Again, hopefully he/she will do the right thing and it wont' even get that far.
  • Options
    I just sent the seller an email, I wrote the following:

Dear drdavis1975,

Hello,
    I received the Clyde Drexler card in the mail today and it is not card shown in the scan. The card I received is OC left to right 70/30. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you shipped the wrong card. I'll await your response
    on how you want to proceed.
    Thanks

-bbcemporium

We will see how he responds.
    Registry Sets

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yup IMO he pulled a bait and switch, he will try and say that he only said you are bidding on

Steve >>

Steve, ebay will back you up on the picture not matching the description. OP needs to archive the picture before it is remove!
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    Be SURE to use Delivery Confirmation when/if you return the card.

The seller is a rule violator, and I would not trust him.

• Options
    Sure looks like a different card to me. You've got all the proper advice in this thread to remedy the situation in your favor. Good luck!!!
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cards definitely look different to me, but photos do distort a little so you never know. I would do what you did (emailing him) and see how he responds.

Good luck...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Send him an email and see if he can find glasses bigger.
  • Options
    You guys are tough. Why don't you wait until you hear from the guy before coming into a public forum and accuse the guy of running a scam.
    Considering the seller has 100% feedback let's look for some more logical explanations than someone is trying to scam you for $13.00
    Checking the sellers auction history you see he sold the card on Jan 19th and it appears the same card on Jan 26th

The most likely explanation is that he accidently relisted the card and tried to honor your bid, or any number of other reasonable explanations.
    7000+ feedback with great DSR's and 100% should give a seller the benefit of the doubt -- shouldn't it?

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys are tough. Why don't you wait until you hear from the guy before coming into a public forum and accuse the guy of running a scam.
    Considering the seller has 100% feedback let's look for some more logical explanations than someone is trying to scam you for $13.00
    Checking the sellers auction history you see he sold the card on Jan 19th and it appears the same card on Jan 26th

The most likely explanation is that he accidently relisted the card and tried to honor your bid, or any number of other reasonable explanations.
    7000+ feedback with great DSR's and 100% should give a seller the benefit of the doubt -- shouldn't it? >>

Why not come to a forum with this? This is a discussion forum afterall. As you can see, the OP sent a very good email giving him the benefit of the doubt. Or maybe the guy has multiple of the card and used the same pic thinking no one would bother. Either way the seller was not 100% honest. I think this was a great time and place to post this discussion.
  • Options
    Yeah, this seller's feedback is so scandalous! In his 9+ years on Ebay he has had 2 negatives, 5 neutrals, and 2 withdrawn in 9,981 feedbacks received.. Guys like this are scum bags. Especially, when he plots to scam someone for $13. Hang him!

bbcemporium,

I hate that it happened to you, and I realize it's incovenient to have received the wrong card, but wouldn't it have been better to contact the seller before some of the folks on here got to running wild with this? It's hard to say if it was an honest mistake, or intentional, but either way, we will honestly never know for sure. I highly doubt the seller would try to scam you for $13. There is no need to file a Paypal claim at this time, since it's better to communicate with your seller, than to jump the gun.. If he refuses to communicate, or make it right, then that would be the time to file a claim. I don't see the seller not wanting to make it right with you, but I could be wrong. Best of luck with a proper resolution.
  • Options
    Stan,
    The reason I posted this before contacting the seller was to get other people's opinions on how to deal with this. After all, maybe I was not seeing something that other people would see. As stated by yankeeno7, isn't the purpose of a collector's forum to discuss issues like this? I think considering all of the facts, the seller has been treated justly.
    Registry Sets

• Options
    The seller is NOT a "scammer," in the sense that we usually discuss here.

However, he is a rule-breaker and that causes me not to trust him.

1. He continues to violate the no paper-payment rule.

2. He advertises an off-EBAY business in his listings.

Additionally, he misleads buyers with his statements about Delivery
    Confirmation and Insurance.

I NEVER report the kind of violations that the subject seller perpetrates
    because I disagree with the rules that give rise to those violations. I do,
    however, abide by those rules. I have found that folks who violate EBAY's
    TOS - no matter how ridiculous the TOS are - are NOT trustworthy in their
    dealings with buyers.

I have NO doubt that seller will cheerfully refund in this matter. If he did
    not do so, PayPal would do it for him.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seller switched card = scammer

Case closed.
  • Options
    With that mindset, I am not even going to try and reason this issue. I am all for calling out a bad seller, when it merits it, but in this case it could have been an honest mistake. We don't know one way or the other, and in my opinion, it's foolish to hammer/slur the guy before we even know what his reply is, when it could have been an honest mistake. I know I have made many of those in my lifetime. None of you have, I guess?

I don't know how much advice/guidance is needed to just contact the seller and say that you received the wrong card, and ask if will he make it right? I swear some folks act as if they can't think on their own anymore..

• Options

<< <i>With that mindset, I am not even going to try and reason this issue. I am all for calling out a bad seller, when it merits it, but in this case it could have been an honest mistake. We don't know one way or the other, and in my opinion, it's foolish to hammer/slur the guy before we even know what his reply is, when it could have been an honest mistake. I know I have made many of those in my lifetime. None of you have, I guess?

I don't know how much advice/guidance is needed to just contact the seller and say that you received the wrong card, and ask if will he make it right? I swear some folks act as if they can't think on their own anymore.. >>

As stated above, I didn't want to accuse the seller of switching the cards before I got the input from other people. Granted, it is rather clear that the cards are different, but hey, as you stated "we all make mistakes". Perhaps if you were on the receiving end of a transaction like this you may be more sympathetic.
    Registry Sets

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>With that mindset, I am not even going to try and reason this issue. I am all for calling out a bad seller, when it merits it, but in this case it could have been an honest mistake. We don't know one way or the other, and in my opinion, it's foolish to hammer/slur the guy before we even know what his reply is, when it could have been an honest mistake. I know I have made many of those in my lifetime. None of you have, I guess?

I don't know how much advice/guidance is needed to just contact the seller and say that you received the wrong card, and ask if will he make it right? I swear some folks act as if they can't think on their own anymore.. >>

As stated above, I didn't want to accuse the seller of switching the cards before I got the input from other people. Granted, it is rather clear that the cards are different, but hey, as you stated "we all make mistakes". Perhaps if you were on the receiving end of a transaction like this you may be more sympathetic. >>

I just think the seller should have had a fair shot at giving you a reply, before this board knew about it, and started piling on, since it could have been an honest oversite. It's hard to be on Ebay for 9+ years, have 9,981 feedbacks recieved, and only 9 flaws on your record. People on here complain about loony buyers all the time, yet, knock this guy for 9 flaws in almost 10,000 feedbacks received? He must be a pretty decent seller with that kind of record, wouldn't you say?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

As stated above, I didn't want to accuse the seller of switching the cards before I got the input from other people. Granted, it is rather clear that the cards are different, but hey, as you stated "we all make mistakes". Perhaps if you were on the receiving end of a transaction like this you may be more sympathetic. >>

I just think the seller should have had a fair shot at giving you a reply, before this board knew about it, and started piling on, since it could have been an honest oversite. It's hard to be on Ebay for 9+ years, have 9,981 feedbacks recieved, and only 9 flaws on your record. People on here complain about loony buyers all the time, yet, knock this guy for 9 flaws in almost 10,000 feedbacks received? He must be a pretty decent seller with that kind of record, wouldn't you say? >>

Stan, I understand your point, but don't agree with it. I wanted the opinion of the forum members before contacting the seller.
    Registry Sets

• Options
    "...He must be a pretty decent seller with that kind of record, wouldn't you say? ..."

/////////////////////////////

I would say that is true.

I would say that even though I KNOW that most buyers who
    get screwed simply move-on and NEVER complain.

I just don't like sellers who refuse to abide by EBAY's TOS. As
    I have said many times,

"Sellers who will screw EBAY will screw their buyers, too."

• Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>You guys are tough. Why don't you wait until you hear from the guy before coming into a public forum and accuse the guy of running a scam.

7000+ feedback with great DSR's and 100% should give a seller the benefit of the doubt -- shouldn't it? >>

I couldn't agree more. Why would some seller with great fb and a selling history on ebay of 10 years purposely scam a buyer for $13 by doing a switch a roo? Why would they take a chance of getting drilled with a neg. and called out on a message board for that little amount of money and have their reputation called into question?

Ask yourself, would any of you risk your ebay reputation for a lousy $13 sale?

I'm sure the seller simply made an honest error with the scan and used it twice and didn't even realize it. I've done this myself with a graded card with a serial number. This stuff does happen when you're a high volume seller or simply are busy with life.

Mistakes do happen guys. Give the seller the benefit of doubt and let him make the transaction right. I'm sure they will.

The OP's email to him was fine in my opinion too, but you guys calling him a scammer without even hearing his side of the story for maybe using the wrong picture are pretty harsh.

For the record I think both Drexler's look pretty sharp.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Say you are driving a 2007 Honda Accord. You get into an accident and bring it to a body shop that has a great reputation. Come to find out, instead of replacing that fender with an original Honda part, they replace it with another aftermarket company's fender because they make more money on it. Most dont complain cuz they dont know the difference or they are just happy that it looks all pretty and shiney again. Now it looks as good but it isnt QUITE as good as the original. Would you think that is ok? Not me.

The OP has given the seller the benefit of the doubt with his curtious email. And probably the seller will make good on it and that would be great.
  • Options
    "Send him an email and see if he can find glasses bigger."

Damn Lee you been on a roll lately.

Steve
    Good for you.