Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

*UPDATED!*. My nephew is headed home today! :)

Came home from work today to find out that my Nephew was hit by a car. He's 12 years old and has Aspergers syndrome, his name is Ben. He was crossing the street to catch his school bus and some 16 year old kid who has had license for 2 goddamn weeks; The bus had his lights on and there were other cars stopped while he was crossing and this jackass plowed into him and threw him 60 feet.

The report from the hospital is that he has 8 broken ribs, a broken leg and they are doing surgery on him now to stop some internal bleeding. He was med-flighted to Boston Childrens Hospital. His Mom was sitting there in the driveway and saw the whole thing unfold.

Im waiting for the next report. Hopefully some good news.
Here is the story from one of the Boston stations:
News Report.

Comments

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Wow, I am, really sorry to hear about this. I am almost sick about this. I have three kids and if anything happened to any of them I am not sure what I would do. I will be praying for Ben.
  • sorry about the bad news. hopefully they will nail the driver hard.

Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Horrible man just horrible

16 is too young to drive IMO
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    That is terrible news.
    I hope he recovers fully. My thoughts are with him.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • We will all say a prayer for Ben and your family that everything turns out okay. Even though he is badly injured, we thank God that he has been spared. You and your family should all find comfort and strength in each other now and give your love to Ben as he struggles to get better.

Keep us posted.
    "It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it."
    - John Wooden
  • daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Our thoughts and prayers will definitely be with you tonight. There is no excuse for passing a stopped school bus. I hope they take his license away for some time. Please keep us posted on the progress.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    That is just horrible news! We will have him and his family in our prayers. Keep giving us updates on his progress, and I wish him the best!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yikes!

Sorry.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prayers and positive vibes sent.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Dear IchiroDeported,

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry to hear that. I will say a prayer for Ben and his entire family.

All my bests,

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Sorry to hear that . I hope everything turns out alright . Kids have an amazing ability to bounce back from things like this
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our thoughts and prayers will be with your nephew tonight. God bless.
  • Our Thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and of course your Nephew.

-John
    -John Stevens
    Ebay ID: jrconcessi

Collecting 1993 Finest Refractors & All Refractors 1993 - 2001, 1964 Topps Psa 8.5 or Better
    Soon to be Collecting 1966 Batman Color and all Hall of Famers in all Sports in as High a Grade as I can Afford.
  • That's very sad news, best well wishes and prayers sent for Ben.
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    One of the worst things I can imagine, I hope all is well. God Bless
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    IchiroDeported,

Our prayers and thoughts are for Ben.

God bless him and hope he recoups quickly.

PoppaJ
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    My prayers. That is tough.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Ichiro,

Ben and your entire family will be in my prayers. Having been thru a tough time with my little girl, the best thing I can say is be positive & stay strong for each other and for Ben. If there is anything that I could possibly do for moral support, just PM.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • dang, my thoughts and prayers are with ben' and with your family ichiro, i am so sorry

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ichiro, That is tragic news. My thoughts and prayers are with him and your whole family.
    Please let me know if your nephew collects baseball cards, I would like to put together a "welcome home" package for him once he is released from the hospital.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Ben is officially on my prayer list. That's absolutely terrible, God's speed to a full recovery for young Ben.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Our thoughts and prayers are with Ben and all of your family tonight.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Ichiro, That is tragic news. My thoughts and prayers are with him and your whole family.
    Please let me know if your nephew collects baseball cards, I would like to put together a "welcome home" package for him once he is released from the hospital. >>

WOW ... What a GREAT idea. Ichiro, ask Ben's mom/dad if it would be OK for us to send cards to Ben's home. His parents could even bring in a few packages to the hospital when Ben is feeling better. If he is into cards, imagine his face when his parents bring him package after package to open up. He will be the most popular kid in the hospital!

If they do say it is OK, maybe you could post their name and addy here. Also let us know what his favorite players and teams are.

I hope they say OK. I can't wait to send him some cards!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Roger that, if he collects, great idea.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts and prayers are with Ben and your entire family. (Downtown1974 Great idea to send cards) It would be my pleasure to send cards to Ben.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • I think he might be into the Yu Gi Oh (spelling) cards, or stuff similar to that. I can find out this weekend and let you guys know.
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Our prayers here are with him as well, I dont have any Yo gi oh cards, but I have some Marvel and Spider man cards if he wants them.

Hope things turn out for the best.
  • MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    My thoughts and prayers are with him too. Keep me posted on his card interest.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this news, I hope he makes a full recovery.
    I just said a prayer for him.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Ichiro, that is terrible news to hear for sure. My thoughts go out to Ben and here is hoping for a full and speedy recovery. Keep the FAITH!!!
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Newscast stated he is "expected to have a full recovery" so that was great to hear. Hope everything turns out as well as possible.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry man

Glad to hear he is going to be okay!
  • I'm praying for a speedy recovery!
    Paul
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. Saw that on the news tonight. I have him in my prayers.

• We fathers fear this worse than anything in the world. Anything.

Prayers for Ben and your family.
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    thats terrible. hope ben makes a full and speedy recovery.
  • Finally got an update; spoke with his Dad. He is in ICU, they just finished working on his spleen, to stop bleeding in the area. There is a lot of damage to the spleen, but hopefully it can regain partial function down the road.

He is in a neck brace because something show up on the scans; but that's undetermined at this point. He has 6 broken ribs, confirmed, multiple fractures in one leg. confirmed.

Ben has been surprisingly brave and has entertained the nurse with several witty comments such as "my hospital room isn't up to my usual standards" He's also pleased that he has cartoon network in the room. His Mom and sister are spending the night at the hospital; his Dad and his other siblings and grandma are back home right now.

I called some co-workers (Doctors & Nurses) and Boston Childrens is ranked #2 in the world for kids and #1 for Orthopedic, so he is in capable hands.

Confirmed with his Dad that he does indeed like all things YuGiOh, sadly he is not a sportsfan lol.

Thank YOU for you kind words and prayers.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Ohhh (sigh of relief) ... that is so good to hear. Thanks for the update.

/s/ JackWESQ

• BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    You are in my prayers!!!!
    1964 Topps Football
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Prayers and good wishes to him and all your family.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    my god... I went through this with my nephew when he was 11..
    my heart goes out to you..
    I wish I could take that memory from her head of seeing it.. god help us all
    that we never know that

father of 2 boys myself
  • TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    My thoughts are prayers are with your family.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfreaking believable, Im having dinner with my girlfriend tonight and she listens to WBZ radio talk/news with Keller at Large every morning/evening driving to and from work, during dinner I ask her what was going on in the world on WBZ radio and she says not much although she was disturbed by hearing about this 12 year old boy getting hit by a car driven by a newly licensed 16 year old, obviously this was what she was telling me about.

My sincere hopes that he will recover, and my thoughts and prayers to your entire family.
  • My thoughts and prayers go out to Ben and his family. I will say a prayer for him tonight.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear this; I watched the video and was glad to hear that he is expected to make a full recovery
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭
    Ichiro,

My prayers go out to you and of course to Ben and his family.

Guys, we also need to pray for the 16-year old driver. I'm not sure we'll ever know what happened in his mind to cause him to disregard the bus, but I'm guessing this cannot be a good time for him.

-Tom
    I don't have anything nice, but I'm pretty sure I have some loose YuGiOh cards, mostly played with, and 2 slabbed cards by "Mint." He's welcome to them.
  • It's nice to hear he is doing well. Accidents like this always seem to put thing in perspective.

J
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Just saw the news report and now this. Such a tragedy! He sounds like a strong little boy.
    Prayers and wishes for a full recovery go out tonite for him and the whole family. God bless.