Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any OFEC collectors?

I'm attempting to do a birth year OFEC collection focusing on silver whenever possible. My birth year, 1979, happened to be the International Year of the Child, so their is an abundance of silver commems to accumulate. I've already got quite a few attractive pieces and I'm happy with my progress.

Anybody else pursuing OFEC? If so, how have you customized the pursuit?
"YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents

Comments

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody else pursuing OFEC? >>

Yes, I'm sure you'll find plenty of OFEC collectors here, including me.

<< <i>...how have you customized the pursuit? >>

I haven't. "One from every country" that ever existed, and issued coins. Once you start going back before 1500, "country" starts to get hard to define, but I like to keep the definition as broad as possible; ancient and mediaeval countries are welcome, too. I'll also accept Mexican states, Chinese provinces, Argentine provinces, US state tax tokens etc. as separate "coin-issuing entities", even if they're not technically "countries".
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, gave it up.

I mentioned something similar in a recent thread, my OFEC started resembling a SFSC -- several from some countries.

Who knows, I may go back to it some day, but once I start looking at a country it's hard to pick just one...plus all that difficulty in defining 'country'.

Now, maybe if I'd limited it to my birth year it would have been do-able--but the biggest deterrent for that theme in my case is the dreaded Churchill Crown image (and now you all know roughly how OLD I am).

1979 would be a much funner year (especially for me and my mommy/baby/child theme)

Cathy

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I also have a OFEC collection that currently I rarely add to. Like Stork I find that I have never been able to stop at just 1 from each.

I'm also doing the collection by issuing 'country'/political form/monetary reform so as countries change their monetary system or re-value their currency that adds another set of coins to look for. I do include states (German, Italian, Swiss, Malaysia, etc.) as well as Leper colonies in my lists and as countries have changed their political structure they need to be added to the collection (ex. France).

Currently I have 375+ issuing entities in my collection. This does not include monetary reforms or political structure changes were the country name has not changed.

Edited: BTW Stork I have 11 years on you so you are still quite young! At least my birth year set would include lots of silver possibilities! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    The ambiguity of what constitutes a country and which other entities I should include in my collection led me to think about it for quite a while before I decided what I was going after. I have rigidly defined my collection goal as one (whenever possible) gem (whenever possible) silver coin from every country that existed at any time during the calendar year 1979. When silver is not available I default to gold. If no gold, copper. If no satisfactory gem coins are available grade is flexible. It was only 30 years ago, so this hasn't been much of a problem.
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    I started a birth-year proof set collection and is work in progress.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm also doing the collection by issuing 'country'/political form/monetary reform so as countries change their monetary system or re-value their currency that adds another set of coins to look for. >>

My approach exactly. Maybe we should form a club. The "sorted" collection is in the 300s, and the unsorted box probably has another 50-100 in it.

<< <i>BTW Stork I have 11 years on you so you are still quite young! >>

Hey kids, I've got a daughter eight years older than Cathy!
    Roy