Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

cool whatsit...

Well, don't know what it is, but it's kinda neat.

Best as I can gather, it appears to be year 1335 (?)... which would put it around 1956. I'm guessing on the last number.

So could be a medal, could be a fantasy token of some sort - I'm pretty sure it's not a coin... Anyone else know?

Comments

• BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty cool! image I don't have any idea on the ID though.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Figures look persian... I dunno, I'm horrible at reading script anymore. Lemme stare a bit longer image
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the middle line reads "nuwruz" - ie, Nowruz, the traditional new year celebration. Which makes sense. I know there are a bunch of tokens out there for Novruz.
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, I'm pretty sure the middle line reads "nuwruz" - ie, Nowruz, the traditional new year celebration. Which makes sense. I know there are a bunch of tokens out there for Novruz. >>

That's correct. I'm guessing it's a token or a fantasy piece

• << <i>Actually, I'm pretty sure the middle line reads "nuwruz" - ie, Nowruz, the traditional new year celebration. Which makes sense. I know there are a bunch of tokens out there for Novruz. >>

sweet! Thanks for the info - do you think I have the year correct? the last number looks to be a 5, but the more I look at it, it could be a crude 4... it's just real hard to read.

I'm pretty sure it's silver.

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually, I'm pretty sure the middle line reads "nuwruz" - ie, Nowruz, the traditional new year celebration. Which makes sense. I know there are a bunch of tokens out there for Novruz. >>

sweet! Thanks for the info - do you think I have the year correct? the last number looks to be a 5, but the more I look at it, it could be a crude 4... it's just real hard to read.

I'm pretty sure it's silver. >>

It could also be a 6. And it's probably the solar Hijriya calendar, which would make it 1957 or 1958.
  • Could the figure on the obverse be the Persian king Nebuchadnezzar? I know Saddam Hussein had some medals or coins minted with both his and Nebuchadnezzar's image on them, sort of comparing himself to the famous king. I am not saying this is from that period, only that King Nebuchadnezzar is celebrated in Iraq, since he was king during the time when Persia ruled the world, sort of like the Persian glory days. So it wouldn't seem strange to me if they had minted medals, or even coins, with his image on them several times in the past.

<< <i>Could the figure on the obverse be the Persian king Nebuchadnezzar? I know Saddam Hussein had some medals or coins minted with both his and Nebuchadnezzar's image on them, sort of comparing himself to the famous king. I am not saying this is from that period, only that King Nebuchadnezzar is celebrated in Iraq, since he was king during the time when Persia ruled the world, sort of like the Persian glory days. So it wouldn't seem strange to me if they had minted medals, or even coins, with his image on them several times in the past. >>

It could be him, but the language on the token is definitely not Arabic, which makes it unlikely to be Iraqi.
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭
    How about Ethiopia? To me it looks like something from that country.
    "Have a nice day!"
    Ebay linky - this from a big seller of Iranian stuff

He seems to think it's silver and calls the year at SH1336. Of course, it being ebay, his calling it rare and his asking price may not be accurate. I've never dealt with the seller.
  • Cool find. Man, this one has been sitting in my stash for 4 years or better, and I wrote it off as "unidentifiable token".

Another example of the amazing knowledge base of this forum...