Home Stamps Forum

Would you break this?

Hey guys

New, sort of, to the forums, but I've had the pleasure of posting on Richard's board asking for some good Washington/Franklin sources a couple years ago and have met Steve at a Javits Mega 2005.

Few months back, I bought a 393 strip of 4 in OG NH. The seller (nameless for now) asked $400 and I put an offer in for $350. He accepted. I also had a 50 dollar coupon from eBay after having a problem with another seller. It was their way of thanking me "for being a valuable member of the eBay community." So I only paid $303.00. I took a chance because I could see the pressure ridges and the "tear away" from the perf discs in each hole in the photo. Two characteristics that ya look for on flat plate coils, right. This strip is pristine. I've compared it with my genuine 390 strip of three, 392 pr and 396 pr all with certs and it matched up well in all regards while also referencing Schmid's Expert's Book. I planned on sending it in and the PF called it genuine. So, I basically got a strip for the price of a pair. My original intention was to break it into two pairs. Having trouble picking! LOL
Help me out here. Left or right??? LOL Which side looks better to you? Also, any tips for breaking it if I choose to do so? I'm thinking using a black plastic stock card with the center perfs half way inside (one pair in card and one pair outside of card) while gently lifting outside pair to form a nice crease in center perfs?

Thanks. Looking forward to posting here more often

Ralph Marana
Maywood NJ
At 47, I'm wondering why I'm one of the youngest people at stamp shows!!!!!

Comments

• LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    I would have no problem breaking it as coils are usually collected in pairs and or singles. I like the right pair.

My 2c.

Lou
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Be careful those perf 10's are easy to create short or pulled perfs on when separating. I almost always lightly score the perfs on the gumside with a new CLEAN (remove any oil first) X-acto plate. The trick is to do it lightly enough so the stamps come apart naturally without the look of scissor trimmed perfs. Have to be careful though one slip and there goes a perf or a sound stamp. I like to use this method on very valuable items that I don't want the risk of losing perf teeth on. Well it's not for everyone or the faint-hearted but it has worked well for me. And by the way the only way you can make two pairs is to divide between the 2nd and 3rd stamp right? I wish you luck with this ( I always use gloves with MNH stamps, much easier to handle that way without fingerprints) Just my 2 and 1/2 cents : )
  • The Philatelic Foundation used to offer a service where they would break things like this for you. Don't know if they still do or if PSE does something similar. That way at least the risk is theirs.

Matt
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful strip, I'd be afraid to touch it.
    Be careful and good luck
  • I tell ya.....you know...........I may just end up keeping it as is. BTW edueku, you mean 8.5, right? **winking and smiling friendly**
  • right side looks more saturated
  • Ralph HA HA yeah I wasn't paying attention, 8.5 is even worse, there is more paper then perf hole.

edueku (Zac)
  • I like the 2 in the middle! Seriously, I'd leave them in the strip together.

• << <i>Ralph HA HA yeah I wasn't paying attention, 8.5 is even worse, there is more paper then perf hole.

edueku (Zac) >>

LOL I know! I hate 8.5s!!!!!!! LOL

<< <i>I like the 2 in the middle! Seriously, I'd leave them in the strip together. >>

That's funny. I was thinking the same thing when I first got it. The pic is from the guy's eBay listing. It looks far better in person with pristine gum. To quote Eddie Reiser, "Immaculate gum without a single bend or skip." Who loves ya, Ed? **wink**