Home Sports Talk

Which Player's [Baseball] Career Do You Wish You Could Resurrect?

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
After reading this story about the Giants hiring Will Clark as a special assistant, I thought I would pose this question ...

Which player's career do you wish you could resurrect?

Preferably, a player from 1980 and on, but any player would do. For me, off the top of my head, I probably would go with Will Clark. You?

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Either DARRYL STRAWBERRY or DOC GOODEN

BUT

PRE- DRUGS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry Walker

Steve
  • Bret Saberhagen, the Royals version, not the spit on reporters and throw fireworks at them (not that there is anything wrong with that) version.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • honestly i hate to see talent wasted, either by injury or drugs. daryl strawberry could have clubbed 600 homers, Doc Gooden could have won 300 games and Eric Davis could have gone 40/40 about 7 times.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Dickie Thon was on his way to becoming one of the best shortstops in the game, when he was hit in the face by Mike Torrez. Although he did struggle to make it back to the bigs, he was never the same.
  • Kerry Wood & Mark Prior
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bo Jackson, just to see if he could have improved much. He wasn't very good, I can remember him striking out in bunches. But it would have been interesting to see if he could get better year by year.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bo Jackson. He was really just starting to reach his potential. Maybe Tony C. too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Andy Van Slyke
    Faith No More
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dickie Thon was on his way to becoming one of the best shortstops in the game, when he was hit in the face by Mike Torrez. Although he did struggle to make it back to the bigs, he was never the same. >>

+1

As for the original topic, Jeff Bagwell is a GM assistant.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bo Jackson, just to see if he could have improved much. He wasn't very good, I can remember him striking out in bunches. But it would have been interesting to see if he could get better year by year. >>

Bo Jackson was a freak of nature...Incredible athlete. I remember seeing Brian Jordan play a few times...He was nothing like Jackson but that guy was built like a rock.

I guess I would have loved to see Sandy Koufax pitch like his prime, but when I was a kid in the 70's...that would have been hot. This is a good thread and there will be lots of good ones.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>After reading this story about the Giants hiring Will Clark as a special assistant, I thought I would pose this question ...?

/s/ JackWESQ >>

I just wanted to say congrats to the Giants...Hiring Will Clark is awesome and he will be a great addition to the Giants. I wonder if he ends up as a manager one day?
  • The original Guns N Roses.
  • I'd have to go with Doc Gooden. In 1985, I lived about 250 miles from New York. I used to listen to Mets radio broadcasts through the terrible static of AM radio -- just to hear "the Doctor" operate on National League hitters. Gooden was absolutely amazing -- he won the Triple Crown of pitching that year -- and he's the last pitcher to do so in either league.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

<< <i>he won the Triple Crown of pitching that year -- and he's the last pitcher to do so in either league. >>

Gooden did win the triple of pitcher, e.g. leading the league in wins, strikeouts and E.R.A. But he is not the last pitcher to do so, to wit ...

1. Roger Clemens, 1997;
    2. Roger Clemens, 1998;
    3. Pedro Martinez, 1999;
    4. Randy Johnson, 2002;
    5. Johan Santana, 2006;
    6. Jake Peavy, 2007

/s/ JackWESQ
  • "Gooden did win the triple of pitcher, e.g. leading the league in wins, strikeouts and E.R.A. But he is not the last pitcher to do so,"

Yep, you're right JackWESQ. Now I'm not sure why I thought Gooden was the last pitcher to do so.

Gooden had a 1.53 ERA in 1985. Is that the lowest ERA since then? Could that be what I was thinking?
  • "Herb Score"

I might be wrong [again] on this one, but I think Gooden broke Herb Score's record of "Strikeouts by a Rookie Pitcher". If I'm correct, then Gooden broke Herb Score's record in 1984 -- and then followed up that amazing rookie year with his 1985 Cy Young Award (where he had a 1.53 ERA).
    Gooden's 1.53 E.R.A. in 1985 is the lowest since. Greg Maddux had a 1.56 E.R.A. in 1994. To find an E.R.A. lower than 1.53, you have to go back to, what else, Bob Gibson's 1.12 in 1968.

Gooden did break Herb Score's rookie strikeout record. Score had 245 SO in 1955, which Gooden topped with 276 in 1984.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. Gooden also has eight (8) career HRs. Nice.
  • jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    joe charboneau or pete incaviglia, just kidding......kirby puckett.. loved that guy
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nomar's, before he got plunked on the wrists.

Since then, he went from being a HOFer SS to being a journeyman infielder.
  • "Nomar's, before he got plunked on the wrists. Since then, he went from being a HOFer SS to being a journeyman infielder."

Hmmmm, wasn't Nomar playing on the Boston Red Sox when he got plunked? How could you consider him "a HOFer SS" when he was playing on a minor league team?

<< <i>Hmmmm, wasn't Nomar playing on the Boston Red Sox when he got plunked? How could you consider him "a HOFer SS" when he was playing on a minor league team? >>

Whoa! Reminds me of when I heckled my friend who was a Clippers fan. I used to tell him that the Clippers were an exceptionally talented high school basketball team and probably could go undefeated and win the State title.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Barry Bonds while with the Pirates. Well only if he would once again be with them!! Once Bonds left the franchise went down the drain. Perhaps if Bonds would have stayed he may have stayed straight and contributed to a few championships.