Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

News - Postmaster General: Mail days may need to be cut

As if USPS isn't annoying enough already:

Postmaster General: Mail days may need to be cut

Massive deficits could force the post office to cut out one day of mail delivery, the postmaster general told Congress on Wednesday, in asking lawmakers to lift the requirement that the agency deliver mail six days a week. If the change happens, that doesn't necessarily mean an end to Saturday mail delivery. Previous post office studies have looked at the possibility of skipping some other day when mail flow is light, such as Tuesday. ... [ continued at link]

Another article on the subject:
Postal Service seeks end to Saturday delivery requirement

And rates are expected to go up by the maximum allowed by law this year (likely by May)...

Comments

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Everything goes up eventually, in a capitalistic free trade society...... look at it this way, at least it didn't keep pace with gas prices!
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    A LOT OF COMPANIES' BILLING SYSTEMS HAVE TO CALCULATE DAYS UNTIL BILLS ARE DUE BASED ON "BUSINESS DAYS".

If the Post Office chooses to stop delivery on a Tuesday, that might mean added expense to those business to re-calculate bill days, Late payment Charges, and other calculations.

For that reason alone, I would think businesses would chime in to have the Post Office elect not to deliver on Saturdays, which are already not treated as a "business" day. Plus, would give carriers a weekend off like many other people................image
  • Options

<< <i>A LOT OF COMPANIES' BILLING SYSTEMS HAVE TO CALCULATE DAYS UNTIL BILLS ARE DUE BASED ON "BUSINESS DAYS".

If the Post Office chooses to stop delivery on a Tuesday, that might mean added expense to those business to re-calculate bill days, Late payment Charges, and other calculations.

For that reason alone, I would think businesses would chime in to have the Post Office elect not to deliver on Saturdays, which are already not treated as a "business" day. Plus, would give carriers a weekend off like many other people................image >>

Damn goo point.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, wait, wait... Let me get this straight. You people in America get mail delivered to your house on a Saturday? image

I don't think that happens anywhere else. Around here, Saturday mail delivery only happens on the two weekends before Christmas.

And they call Australia the "lucky country". image
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

where else can you have a valuable service performed for 40-odd cents !?!!?
    you can't even get a gumball out of a machine at the mall for that much anymore
    (ok.. not the GOOD ones anyway!)
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    For what the Post Office does their prices aren't what they should be, again...be thankful the prices of mailing something didn't keep up with the price of gas.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    This is why the USPS should be in the private sector.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have Saturday hours, except at the PO itself when you want to mail stuff. I could really careless about Saturday delivery.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

It may make NetFlix less attractive and on-demand cable movies mor popular....

My mail carrier doesn't seem to work on Saturdays anyway, I won't notice.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson