Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

WHAT IS BEST WAY TO SELL REGISTRY SET?

hey yall,
i have the number 1 finest set in a mint set category a couple years running. i wanted yall's opinions on which is the most profitable means of selling my set. is it 1. selling the entire set together; or 2. selling the set piece by piece?
also, where is the best place to sell? or, who is the best person to sell to? it is a set from early half of 1900s.
thank yall for your time and consideration.
LIVE WORTHILY, LOVE DEEPLY, AND DIE WITH STRENGTH AND HONOR

Comments

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    mnay options

and best depends on urgency of sale
    and how long willing to wait for payment

do you have an approximate value you would be happy with?

I would start with the Buy, Sell, Trade coins forum

then possibly eBay as a group if capable of pictures and listing

then maybe a sale to coin dealer/auction houses like Heritage or David Lawrewnce

then maybe a consignment to any of the major coin houses with reasonable reserves, unless definitely want all sold

these options all have different lengths of time for payment recieved
    and if market tanks, highest method may get lower result if takes 3 months longer to sell
  • Options
    thank you for your help...
    greatly appreciated
  • Options
    Get the set imaged and post the images to your Registry Set. Then see if there are any buyers interested in buying the entire set in a private transaction ... posting on the BST is one way to approach that. If that doesn't work, consider consigning the set either to a suitable high-end retail dealer who handles the type of coins that you have, otherwise consider consigning to auction (the latter approach works best for coins that are low-pop, high-end, high-value.

You might as well post a link to the set and tell us what it is ... no point in being mysterious if you're looking for buyers !!

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Straightforward (unsaturated) pictures of PQ coins works wonders.

Best way to sell is to find a buyer willing to buy your set - one on one - no middleman!

Good Luck!
  • Options
    I have read that sets tend to make more when sold together. Buyers of completed sets aren't always people who are both very rich and very lazy; they are often dealers who specialize in a particular category and who have clients who are likewise specialized. Getting a full set of their preferred coin types allows them to fill a number of client wish lists at once.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    the set is my 1922 mint set. it is the number 1 set and won 2007 and 2008. i dont have pics of it yet, but will see to it that i get some. it only has 4 coins in it. 1. 1922-D ms65rd penny 2. 1922 peace dollar ms66 3. 1922-d peace dollar ms66 and 4. peace dollar 1922-s ms65. the only idea i have of what its value is, is adding up the pcgs values of each coin. does that give me the amount i should ask for, or b/c it is a number 1 set going into its 3rd year is it worth more? or, are the coins not worth as much as they are listed for in the price guide and they are worth less than adding them up like i did? i am a colllector, and do not sell much, but i am in financial crisis. i need to get as much as possible as soon as possible, but i do have a little wiggle room to wait. if possible, please email me at slide.31@hotmail.com
    thanks to everyone that has replied to my thread!
  • Options
    PM sent. Thanks, Joe Shirley
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Why sell it... you could just sent it to me.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auction the high-grade keys. Consign the others.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Good BST post. Good luck.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I was surprised sp few coins minted in 1922

since only 4

the Peace dollars might make a better group

and the Lincoln cent would make a Lincoln collector happy

the 1922 mint set by itself is not a very strong draw, unless someone was born that year and just getting into collecting top mint state coins
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess maybe I should have looked at some other years before jumpin into the 30 coin 1909 mint set image

Good luck with your sale!
  • Options
    What is the best way to sell your registry set?

For Cash $$$
  • Options
    I deliberated over how to sell (most of) my Bust Half Registry set for months
    Dilemna I resolved by just consigning my coins to Bower's and Merena for their March auction in Baltimore.

edited to add: hint hint
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the best way to sell your registry set? >>

By selling it for more money than you have in it. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Why does it matter how much you have into your set? The price you paid for a set is a sunk cost. You should try to get the most for your set but it has nothing to do with how much you have in to the set.