Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Exhibiting at National coin show.

Has anyone here ever competitively exhibited a collection at a coin show?

I will be putting my collection of Ludwig Gies WWI art medals into the competition at the National Money show in Portland and I have a few questions for anyone with previous experience.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I'm no help. But I'll be rooting for ya and waiting to hear your report after the show! image

I dare say this may be a topic where you'll find help at the US forum?

Maybe image
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Thanks...my question primarily hinges around "Rarity". All the medals are rare because they number <10 pieces or less...at the same time, 9 may be in museums with only one available for private collection. My pieces are either unique, which is how I'd list them, while the others are among only two or three available...my question would be then, If there are five in the museum and three or less available for private collections would they all just be ranked as RRRR?

I'm thinking that if only 1-3 examples are available, due to ownership of the remainder by museums, they would all rate an RRRR on the rarity scale. Anyone agree?
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think the rarity is in the quantity known, then an * for quantity held by museums. You never know when the museum may decide to liquidate a portion of their collection.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't label anything with RRR or RRRR if I were the exhibitor, but I'd let the facts speak for themselves.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • I agree with Dimitri, but I might add a note such as...
    X of Y privately owned, with the remainder residing in museums.
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Good luck!! I have always been impressed with both your collection of medals and the pics that you post.image
    Unfortunately Dimitri, a portion of the awarded points hinges on information part of which is 'rarity'. Since it is a coin show in the U.S. I will use the Sheldon rarity scale this time around. I only need to use the top three ranges for this collection, e.g.

R-8 Estimated 1-3 known (Unique or Nearly Unique)
    R-7 Estimated 4-12 known (Extremely Rare)
    R-6 Estimated 13-30 known (Very Rare)

Included on the description card will be the rarity info at the end in this format;

R-7
    Known Examples: 5 (4 bronze,1 iron)
    Private Collection: 1
    Museum Collections: 4 located at B1, D, H, and M.

(there will be a legend with Museum names/locations and Sheldon Rarity Scale at the bottom right of each case.)

You'd be surprised to see these in person...all very small, with the exception of "The Neue Chaos", and all very unassuming, much like the artist. I have fears that people will have a difficult time seeing them in the ANA display cases and can only imagine how bad the lighting will be. I'm tinkering with ideas to somehow integrate color images of the medals at a larger scale in order to see the details. Tricky since I want a polished and uncluttered presentation.
  • Scott - Good luck, I have no doubt that you will have a professional looking display. Wish I could make the jaunt from Spokane to Portland but am tied down for a while.

Shep
    Thanks Shep...it would be nice to finally meet you. I am planning a "FatBoy" ride up the eastern flanks of the Cascades into Canada sometime this summer...perhaps a stop to meet you then.