Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

'Luster spot'

I asked the seller of his coin about the red mark on this picture:

He said:

"The red mark on the picture is the spot of luster of the coin.there are luster spots on the coin. "

Any ideas what that means?

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it might be scanner created, as well as the blue.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    The red mark on the picture is the spot of luster of the coin.there are luster spots on the coin

What the dealer wanted to say (and you to believe) in this case is that the red spot is the remaining mint luster on the coin, i.e. the
    coin has almost completely toned but there are spot(s) of original mint luster remaining.

Ajaan has a lot of scanner experience and may be completely correct in his assessment of what the spots actually are.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    I think it far more likely that it is just toning. A scanner creating a spot or spots of 1 color - maybe. But creating 3 or 4 different colors - not likely.
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options

<< <i>The red mark on the picture is the spot of luster of the coin.there are luster spots on the coin

What the dealer wanted to say (and you to believe) in this case is that the red spot is the remaining mint luster on the coin, i.e. the
    coin has almost completely toned but there are spot(s) of original mint luster remaining.
    >>

He has sent me another message (unprompted) saying just that:

I am just affraid that you missunderstood or you didn't get what I said at previous message regarding "Red Spot" at my limitation of my English.I said Lustre,the coin is not lustre on the whole parts but some small spots of lustre here and there in the coins,the red spots is one of the spots of very small parts of lustre.I hope you understand what I mean.If you have any other question,please feel free to contact me.Thank you
    Best Regards,
    Wisnu BAskoro

FWIW, here's a BU example of a different date that I own (not my photos)

Very nice in hand.

THis is a BU 1945 Philadelphia mint example (very common) from the same seller:

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I tend to agree with Ajaan's assessment of it being an artifact of a poor quality scanner image, which has been additionally compressed. Notice the rainbow colors are limited to the coat of arms, which most likely refracts light in strange ways for the scanner. I've seen similar effects on some coins with my scanner. If the price isn't high, and it fits your collecting interests, why not give it a chance, especially if the seller has a good return privilege?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>I tend to agree with Ajaan's assessment of it being an artifact of a poor quality scanner image, which has been additionally compressed. Notice the rainbow colors are limited to the coat of arms, which most likely refracts light in strange ways for the scanner. I've seen similar effects on some coins with my scanner. If the price isn't high, and it fits your collecting interests, why not give it a chance, especially if the seller has a good return privilege?
    >>

I may do.

The coin is listed by Krause at

F VF XF UNC BU
    $6 $12.5 $25 $45 $60

and the auction is at $10.

The pictures are a bit small to judge how much wear there is, I was going with VF as a minimum.