Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Rate my grades

I'm rather clueless at grading, so could you please review my thoughts on the following, which are all of the same type

Here's a PROOF of the same type for reference purposes.
imageimage
NGC PF-63

Edit: here's one listed as 'Ex-Stacks BU'

imageimage
Wear on the orb and lion. VF-30

imageimage
Slightly more wear on the lion than the 1854. VF-20

imageimage
Lion is not worn XF-40

imageimage
Lion is badly worn in the face. F-15

imageimage
Lion more worn. VG-10

imageimage
More wear to crown, but better lion. F-12?

imageimage
G6 obverse/AG3 reverse

Comments

• spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I think I'd agree with that. That 1898 one (F12) is a tough call... but if a seller described it as you did, grade plus comment on the crown, I think it would be a fair description.

What's your opinion of this 1/10 G?

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    AU-55 Die cracked both sides , cool spoonimage

I have the lion but not the type.

• << <i>I think I'd agree with that. That 1898 one (F12) is a tough call... but if a seller described it as you did, grade plus comment on the crown, I think it would be a fair description.
    >>

The seller doesn't describe his coins, just a name and a picture. The comments are my observations in trying to grade the coins, the grades entirely my own.

<< <i>
    What's your opinion of this 1/10 G?

image >>

Nice coin, shame they're so small. The nice thing about large coins is you can see detail without a 10x life size photo. Shame 18th century crowns are so expensive, otherwise I might own some....
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys image

That's exactly the problem.. it really is nice, but being so small I can't take decent pics that capture the reflective fields. The catch is, there are lines in the fields which, not having a loupe, I can't tell for sure whether they are die polish or from cleaning. So far as I can tell they don't extend into the devices, but I really need to invest in a cheapo magnifier.

TLN,
    In that case, I think you did a good job deciphering the grades from not the greatest pics. And I'll join you in wishing for a nice early gulden image
    Right now my greatest want from the area is a 1914 2-1/2 cent in RB UNC or better... still waiting!

• << <i>
    TLN,
    In that case, I think you did a good job deciphering the grades from not the greatest pics. And I'll join you in wishing for a nice early gulden image
    Right now my greatest want from the area is a 1914 2-1/2 cent in RB UNC or better... still waiting! >>

Do you want the 1914 as the first date of its type? Or do you have all the other coins?

The 2 1/2 cent is quite a short series. Not sure why, but they were not popular in the Indies.

Speaking of BU, check this listing

ebay