ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    A great one!!!!
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is Canadian money.

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I love it when the high mintage of a type runs only 350K and this one is a beauty! Recent acquisition? MS64?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one is looking very attractive... congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Don. I saw it posted on the CCRS site. So, what is your opinion of grade?

Mine is: MS63 weak strike
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    As much as I would like to offer an opinion as to the grade, I would need to see this one in hand.

• Options
    Gene,
    I'm stumped on the grade. I don't think it is MS. I'm leaning towards AU or so. The problem is there are a few rim marks that don't show up in the image. You can just make them out at 4:00 on the obverse.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    to me the fields look too busy to be MS...I'd call it AU.
  • Options
    Quite honestly, Edward VII coins have always been very difficult for me to grade. Vicky coins are a lot easier. All the silver coins seem weakly struck to me. This particular coin could grade anything from EF45 to MS. It's also a coin that probably could be graded three different grades if submitted three different times. That is, if it isn't BBed for the the very minor rim damage.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    My gut reaction was EF45-AU50. I'm seeing a fair amount of wear on the leaves on the reverse...
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Great coin!
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Judging from the recent cents that you posted, it seems you know to grade Edward VII coins better than you care to admit.Good luck.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Don,
    I am really floored by this coin.The Canadian silver coins prior to 1937 are extremely tough to find.The prices in Krause are all over the place,but I'm not sure what Charlton prices are like on them though.

As for the C.C.R.S.,most of those who post on there are a bunch of wankers anyway.They're also the same scumbags who had me banned off Coins & Canada & Numicanada as well.

Aidan.
  • Options
    It is a minimum 55 if not 58... just a terrific coin

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coin, Don - you take better pics than I do!
    I couldn't grade it either, but then again I'm primarily a US guy. When I walked it around FUN, the dealers who wanted to buy it all said XF. Those I showed it to with no vested interest all said AU....go figure image
    In any event, Don made a fair offer for it, then further compensated me by helping me sell my '58 large cent to another fellow.
    I'm glad he likes the coin, and I give him two image
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    The 2009 Charlton lists this year as 700 in AU-50; 1,000 in AU-55; 1,500 in MS-60 and 4,500 in MS-63
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Options
    Charlton is WAY OFF for 50 cent pieces, at least from an auction point of view. At the last few heritage sales nothing came close to full book. More like 50% and that was before the Canadian Dollar tanked. Hard to say what it'd go for

Nice coin. I'd say 55-61 but Id need a better picture. Edwards are all about surfaces. What appears to be wear may not be, the strikes were so weak.

show me the money image

My eBay