Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Last nights Teletrade auction proved once and for all who is the king of the 1972 DDO cents!

In case you missed it last nights Teletrade auction proved once and for all who is the king of the 1972 DDO cents. Many folks before the variety registry ever started have been hunting for Die #4. Next question will be did any one here buy it or will vanish out of site?

WS

Text 1972 Die # 4
Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Comments

• Options
    Surprised the heck out of me. The 66RD in an error holder only sold for about $1,250 on eBay a few years ago.

The power of registry completion fever.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the diagnostics on this? Ive got three or four 'funny' 72/72's that I picked out back then when I found my 'real' one. they are around somewhere, maybe I should have another look at them.
  • Options
    I couldn't see the cud on the one on Teletrade. Did I miss it?
  • Options
    loro1rojoloro1rojo Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    Is it possiblt that people bid on this coin thinking that it was the BIG ONE 1972 ddo?
    -Gabe
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    No way. It is MUCH BIGGER than the "big one". image
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In case you missed it last nights Teletrade auction proved once and for all who is the king of the 1972 DDO cents. Many folks before the variety registry ever started have been hunting for Die #4. Next question will be did any one here buy it or will vanish out of site?

WS

Text 1972 Die # 4 >>

WOW!

And the higher grade 64BN lists for $ 25.00 in PCGS Price guide!

The seller Scored big time!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Jury may still be out on the diagnostics of this coin. The famous cud that is often referred to is not always there. Likewise the die crack which is very small above the L in Liberty may not always be there I am told. With only a few specimens known, and only one made public (I have the 64 brown example) it’s very hard to see what these diagnostics are and in what die stages do exist. So far CONECA has the best description.

I did email David Hall to tell him of this pending auction. Not sure what value he places on Teletrade.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    WS, it may be prudent to watch teletrade for a few months to make sure the coin wasn't artificially reserved by the consignor......the price sure does seem high. Although it is very difficult to say that with any authority since they so very rarely trade hands.

And, I'm on board with the diagnostics, the die was new at some point and would it have cuds on the rim right from the get-go? Or would they have taken a little time to form and create this 'diagnostic' for this die variety?
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    I guess CONECA has only seen one die stage:

Description: Medium spread on LIB of LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST, and 2 of date

Stage A:
    EDS (unconfirmed)

Stage B:

Small die breaks on rim from K-8:30 to 9:30 – EMDS
    Numerous die scratches East-West above and below the building – EMDS
    Die scratch Southeast from lower Left N of UNITED
    Die scratches East-West through 7th, 8th, and 9th bays

Stage C:
    LDS (unconfirmed)

Hard to see it on Teletrade's images but I believe the 2nd & 4th markers of Stage B are there.
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    That price otta make whats available come out of the woodwork.

Hard to see it on Teletrade's images but I believe the 2nd & 4th markers of Stage B are there.

I can't see those but maybe the die scratch from the lower N southeast
  • Options
    I am very confident that the price paid was not an accident, in fact, ALL of the 1972 DDO listed sold at a wide level of prices which tells me the owner had not a clue (nor did Teletrade) what the coin was worth. I paid over $1200 for mine a year ago. I was expecting a price near or just past that. What is impossible to know is the number of variety collectors who want that coin to complete the entire set. They have been hunting for years. The pent up demand is what drove that price and I will be very surprised if it even shows up on one of the registry sets.

Because of the PCGS gasket, I can not see any cud on mine and given the size that is photographed in the Cherrypickers Guide I am pretty sure, mine has none. The theory is the die did not last long. The coin looks EDS compared to mine. I do have all of the diagnostics listed for Stage B.

WS
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    mines only an au-58....in ngc

p.s. WITH the cud
  • Options
    Mozeppa, do you have the hairline die crack over the L in liberty also?

WS
  • Options
    welll ...I knew I had one ....

as it turns out ...I was wrong... its an au-55

and it had just enough dirt on it to NOT be able to tell about a die crack...

any one have a pix of said crack?
  • Options
    Yes, under my sets

Text variety set
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am very confident that the price paid was not an accident, in fact, ALL of the 1972 DDO listed sold at a wide level of prices which tells me the owner had not a clue (nor did Teletrade) what the coin was worth. I paid over $1200 for mine a year ago. I was expecting a price near or just past that. What is impossible to know is the number of variety collectors who want that coin to complete the entire set. They have been hunting for years. The pent up demand is what drove that price and I will be very surprised if it even shows up on one of the registry sets.

Because of the PCGS gasket, I can not see any cud on mine and given the size that is photographed in the Cherrypickers Guide I am pretty sure, mine has none. The theory is the die did not last long. The coin looks EDS compared to mine. I do have all of the diagnostics listed for Stage B.

WS >>

WaterSport, As you know, I removed yours from a 1x1 pvc flip and held it in hand. I can assure you that the cuds on the rim are identical to the photos in the cherrypickers guide. The rest of the diagnostics can be similar to other die varieties of 72. I think one might have a hard time getting one attributed without the cuds present. Congratulations on a great buy! Shag image
  • Options
    Now we know, and thanks for chimming in! If PCGS ever goes to the 4 point holder like NGC, it will be sent in for sure.

WS
  • Options
    and i've gotten mine out and examined it under the scope....

bingo !

i do have the die crack above the "L"
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mozeppa, How about some pics of the die 4? What do you think it will grade? Watersport, Why don't you send the die 4 in for a Trueview photo. They will remove the Lincoln to take the photo, and reholder it with the same designation. We then will all see your rim cuds that are the key to this variety. Shag