Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

smallest coin... ever

something about this coin I like... Pardon the image, it's very small, and gets a little messy when it's resized.

Nepal - 1 Dam, minted between 1881 to 1911. This is the 4 character variety. It's between 4 and 5 mm in diameter.

I have heard these coins were actually snipped for change in trade.

i have a feeling they got their name because people kept saying... dam, I lost my coin again!

oops! Image is also upside down - don't know how I missed that.

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I had a 1/32 ducat from Nurnberg, 1700, which was also less than 5 mm in diameter. That's incredibly small!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    These are pretty small, too...

• Options
    The world's smallest coin is actually the 1/4 Jawi from Nepal,which is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Aidan.
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    wow a comparison side by side shot would be nice
  • Options

<< <i>These are pretty small, too...

image >>

This one looks like it is a Travancorean silver coin,but it could be from another Indian princely state in southern India.

Aidan.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I have one of the "Panama pills." This thing is tiny! Why?!? I could just see people trying to get it out of there pocket to pay for something. "Wait, it is here somewhere!" I could literally see someone pulling there pocket inside out to reach the darn thing. -Dan
  • Options

<< <i>I have one of the "Panama pills." This thing is tiny! Why?!? I could just see people trying to get it out of there pocket to pay for something. "Wait, it is here somewhere!" I could literally see someone pulling there pocket inside out to reach the darn thing. -Dan >>

Dan,
    I had one of the 1904 2-1/2 Centisimos in my collection until late 2006,when I offloaded my non-British Commonwealth coins to raise some cash to buy my computer.I also had a copper clad 2-1/2 Centisimos dated 1972.Talk about a tiny coin with a face value of 2-1/2c. American.

Aidan.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are smaller ancient coins, 1/64th obols etc from Ionia Miletos from ca. 5-4th centuries BC. Because of their diminutive size they are not found often.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    David,
    The 1/4 Jawi from Nepal is slightly bigger than a pinhead,which goes to show that you need to have a pretty powerful magnifying glass,such as a linentester,to see the coin.

Aidan.