Home Sports Talk
Options

Be Honest ... Who Really Knew This Was All-Star Weekend For The NHL?

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
Again, I log onto ESPN and see the headline Kovalev MVP as East edges West in All-Star SO and I think, what!, this was All-Star weekend in the NHL. I had no idea. Okay now, seriously, who did? The NHL could do a lot more to market themselves. But if they think marketing is unnecessary, more power to them!

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I heard them interviewing some hockey player on Fox Sports Radio today... otherwise I would never have known.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did, only because ESPN had a poll on their homepage on Friday, asking people how they were going to spend the "off week" before the Super Bowl. Watching the NHL All-Star Game was one of the choices.

If it hadn't been for that, I would have had absolutely no idea; not that I would have watched it anyway.

Steve
  • Options
    I'm a big hockey fan and yes I watched the skills competition last night and the game tonight. Despite how much I love the game I will say that the all star game sucks. It is just a goal scoring fest with absolutely no defense involved whatsoever. The skills competition was much more interesting. As for all star games themselves I think that all sports should just do away with them. They are a complete waste of time. 95% of the time the games are horrible. Here's a few of things that could help the games be a bit more interesting though. First all fan voting should be stopped for all star games. Way too much ballot stuffing goes on and way too many undeserving guys get voted in. Secondly any rules about each team having to have a representative needs to be thrown out. Just as many undeserving guys get in this way. I'm all for seeing the greats of the game but I strongly believe that any all star squad should be made up of the players who are statistically the best at selection time. I don't care if they are all time greats or a career minor leaguer that is having a hot first half. Having hot players in the game may create a more charged atmosphere. All in all though I think all star games are a joke.
  • Options
    I did. I went out last night but taped the skills competition and watched it this morning. Chara's 105 mph slapshot was pretty beastly. My boy Vinny topped out at a WHIMPY 97 mph. image

The game was a joke though. Nobody tried until about 5 minutes to go in regulation. However, there was the first penalty in an NHL All Star game since 2000 image.
  • Options
    Yup we all knew here in Canada,but we have nothing else to do besides shovel snow and drink decent beer
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched part of the game today. I dislike this AS game as much as I dislike the NBA AS game. Offense is all that matters, so very unlike the way the game is played. Skills competitions for hockey AS weekend are much more enjoyable for me to watch than the skills competitions (three point shooting and dunk contest) for the NBA.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    The game was a joke, but I still enjoyed watching it. I love watching hockey in HD. Boy those poor goalies get hung out to dry with no offense though.
  • Options
    naturally there was a tie game image and it went to a shootout.

so unlike regular games....
  • Options
    I loved the game. I don't care at all for fighting, so the all star game is a great display of skill.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    not me
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    All of Canada knew. I didnt and Im in 'Sota. Just never got into hockey, don't know what to say. It is fun to play, but watching it is like watching paint dry to me.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know and I even watched our local Sunday sports show yesterday...I don't recall catching any coverage of the all star game.
  • Options
    I'm Canadian, but I won't watch it. It isn't hockey to me, I don't want my players on my favorite team hanging around with guys they want to kill on another team--just seems stupid. But I feel this way about all All-Star games (especially in the NBA though), although it makes me sick to watch guys who hate each other's guts sitting with each other on the field in baseball, just sick! I'm no major leaguer, but if I were, I would NEVER participate. Although baseball is my favorite sport, the home run derby is the biggest bunch of phonies hanging around together, just disgusting in my opinion.
    Being in Montreal though with the team celebrating it's 100th Anniversary is cool, having 4 Habs in the starting line-up was cool as well. But now the race for the playoffs begins, and real hockey starts up soon!
    Jay
  • Options
    I knew it because I turned on VS. wanting to see the latest hemorrhoid infomercial, but the regular programming was interrupted with a hockey game image
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    The two Wings selected didn't play, so I didn't watch. I really never watch them anyways. As some mentioned, the skills competition is much more entertaining (although I didn't watch them this year either).

The AS games in general are lame. Does anybody ever watch the NFL one? I don't think I've ever seen a down of it except for on ESPN. The basketball AS game is just like the NHL game. No D, let everybody shoot from the rafters. Yawn. The MLB AS game is probably the best, and I don't really care for baseball. I still don't watch it unless a Tiger is playing that I like. These games are all pretty lousy though.
    I just wished all of them were played at the end of the season like the NFL's, so it didn't interrupt the season.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NHL AS game is Women's hockey (no checking).

However, a 12-12 hockey game IS like watching a train wreck . . . . .

Nice job by Thomas shutting out the West in the shootout.
  • Options
    Who knew there was still an NHL? I thought they folded......

Jasen
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i knew because the game was an option on the espn game streak. lol

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>Yup we all knew here in Canada,but we have nothing else to do besides shovel snow and drink decent beer >>

Oh, you guys drink a lot of imports in Canada? image
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the NBA all star game, some funny stuff usually happens. How can you not like watching high flying athletes throw down monster slams, etc?
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I'll be honest, I had no clue that this was NHL all star weekend. Being from the Cleveland area though it is not surprising. The last team that really had any full backing was the old AHL Barons years ago.
  • Options

<< <i>I like the NBA all star game, some funny stuff usually happens. How can you not like watching high flying athletes throw down monster slams, etc?
    John >>

Because I can watch that during the dunk contest, which they don't try to disguise as a competitive game.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    very true. However, you dont get to see Lebron in the dunk contest.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I watch more VS this past weekend than I will watch whatever channel the Super Bowl is on this weekend. I don't even like the NHL, but this Super Bowl is junk. Nothing interesting at all, actually very similar to the hockey game just more people watching.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    I always watch it but I couldn't believe it wasn't on a real network (a la NBC which has carried it in the past). It was on Versus aka the Pheasant Hunting Network.

Yeah, ANOTHER great marketing move NHL! You REALLY know how to sell the game! I'm looking forward to watching Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals between Montreal (in their 100th year of existence) and another Original 6 team on the Women's Shopping, Nailpolish and Entertainment channel. Hmmm, maybe they can get Linda Hunt to act as the eye candy/player interviewer? Right Said Fred for intermission musical entertainment? Oh, how about luring James Brown back from CBS to call play-by-play? When I think of the hockey play-by-play greats (Foster Hewitt, Bob Cole, Dick Irvin, etc) they don't even come close to J.B. OH! And lest we forget two words: glowing puck.

Thank God I can LISTEN to the games on the internet.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know.

I don't follow the NHL so it could be just me.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I watch more VS this past weekend than I will watch whatever channel the Super Bowl is on this weekend. I don't even like the NHL, but this Super Bowl is junk. Nothing interesting at all, actually very similar to the hockey game just more people watching. >>

The Super Bowl is a fraud. You can't have a major championship decided on a neutral field. I'll give the NCAAB tournament a pass on that, because it would be a logistical nightmare to do it any other way, but the NFL should have the Super Bowl on the home field of whichever of the two teams had the best regular season record.
  • Options

<< <i>

The Super Bowl is a fraud. You can't have a major championship decided on a neutral field. . >>

I'm kind of afraid to ask but, why can't you? In a sport that demands a one game championship (not a series) I think it's probably the way to go. However, I am looking forward to your reply to see if I'm not thinking of something. (seriously)

That being said, I'll probably watch a total 10 minutes of the Super Bowl this year. But I did go to the "NFL Experience" over in Tampa and had a blast!
  • Options

<< <i>The Super Bowl is a fraud. You can't have a major championship decided on a neutral field. I'll give the NCAAB tournament a pass on that, because it would be a logistical nightmare to do it any other way, but the NFL should have the Super Bowl on the home field of whichever of the two teams had the best regular season record. >>

I completely disagree. As goot eludes to, I think it is the best way to determine it in a one-game championship. If somebody plays in the toughest conference within the toughest division, I don't believe they should be penalized for losing 5 games versus a team that may play in the weakest conference within the weakest division and only suffered two losses. I think a one-game championship should be void of anything that provides an advantage to one team.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Super Bowl is a fraud. You can't have a major championship decided on a neutral field. I'll give the NCAAB tournament a pass on that, because it would be a logistical nightmare to do it any other way, but the NFL should have the Super Bowl on the home field of whichever of the two teams had the best regular season record. >>

I completely disagree. As goot eludes to, I think it is the best way to determine it in a one-game championship. If somebody plays in the toughest conference within the toughest division, I don't believe they should be penalized for losing 5 games versus a team that may play in the weakest conference within the weakest division and only suffered two losses. I think a one-game championship should be void of anything that provides an advantage to one team. >>

You and Goot certainly raise a fair point, and I can't argue with that way of thinking. Also, I should have been a little clearer in my original post-- 'fraud' was a bad choice of words.

What I should have said is that I don't like having the Super Bowl on a neutral field because it strips the joy out of watching the event on TV. Compared to the conference championships, the Super Bowl is a total snooze-fest. Here you have a game where the ambience of the stadium plays such an enormous role in how the game is perceived by the TV audience, and that element of the game is completely eliminated.

Ditto goes for playing football indoors, or not playing on natural grass. When it comes to watching football on TV, the game is at its finest when the crowd is heavily biased, the weather is foul, and the players have dirt on their unis. When any-- or worse, all-- of these aspects are eliminated (read: 'Pro Bowl') the game loses much of it's fundamental appeal (at least for me).
  • Options

<< <i>You and Goot certainly raise a fair point, and I can't argue with that way of thinking. Also, I should have been a little clearer in my original post-- 'fraud' was a bad choice of words.

What I should have said is that I don't like having the Super Bowl on a neutral field because it strips the joy out of watching the event on TV. Compared to the conference championships, the Super Bowl is a total snooze-fest. Here you have a game where the ambience of the stadium plays such an enormous role in how the game is perceived by the TV audience, and that element of the game is completely eliminated.

Ditto goes for playing football indoors, or not playing on natural grass. When it comes to watching football on TV, the game is at its finest when the crowd is heavily biased, the weather is foul, and the players have dirt on their unis. When any-- or worse, all-- of these aspects are eliminated (read: 'Pro Bowl') the game loses much of it's fundamental appeal (at least for me). >>

Where I can understand what you feel the game is lacking, one must consider the advantages if they don't try to minimize outside effects on the game. Crowd noise is fun, but when it effects a teams ability to get plays off then it's creating an advantage for the home team. Further, bad weather (wet field, snow, wind) usually creates an advantage for a running team and make it insanely difficult for a passing team to make big plays downfield. Grass is terrible at some of the fields, constantly coming lose in big chunks. RB's that make their bread and butter by cutting are forced to simply become north & south backs.

I think the fans get to see teams play in a variety of conditions during the regular season. That's fun. But when a championship is being decided on one game, I want to know which team is best, period. Not which teams is best when it's raining.