Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Bought A Coin Based On A Bad Image

I felt like taking a chance on this one. Here is the auction image:

And here it is after I took a few images of it:

Comments

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Was that in the clear plastic holder or loose? Looks AT to me but if it was loose in one of those clamshells it could have very well toned this way. The Royal Canadian Mint has made many a toned coin with their holders!
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    You definitely took a chance on a bad image!! Great luck on your part. -dan
  • Options
    What a shame that it is so tarnished.
    Roy

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    The capsule was intact, but tilted at an angle allowing air to enter in at one spot. You can see it right above the H in Elizabeth.
    I'm positive this one is NT and very similar looking to the earlier issued un-encapsulated dollars found in the clam-shell cases.
    I think it's pretty cool looking and worth the big chance I took at $14.00 to buy it. image
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    I got to looking at my 72's and they look like this one except for the orange color... the rest of the toning and spotting are the same.... Nice pick up!
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Very natural toning.

Compare this to some of the AT coins on eBay and you'll see the differentiation:

Here we have blue that pops up almost unexpectedly in several places and merges with the orange/gold hue.
    There are no artificially sharp straight or perfectly rounded lines of demarcation between color edges, rather a natural melange or blending
    of colors in an ebb and flow.

The toning and colors are at once subtle and vivid, the area where most "doctors" make their mistakes-
    would be almost impossible to do quickly or naturally.

Really a beautifully toned coin!
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options

<< <i>I felt like taking a chance on this one. Here is the auction image:

And here it is after I took a few images of it:
    image >>

Bill,
    Can you please post a photo of the reverse? This commemorates the 1978 British Commonwealth Games,which was hosted by Edmonton.

Aidan.
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Bill, Can you please post a photo of the reverse?
    This commemorates the 1978 British Commonwealth Games,which was hosted by Edmonton. Aidan.

My Pleasure. Here you go:

• Options
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py