Home Sports Talk
Options

Joe Torre's new book takes pot shots at certain Yankee players and management

Joe Torre's new book "The Yankee Years" is making headlines this morning well before its February 3 release date.

The juiciest morsels are splashed all over The New York Post front cover and are on NYPost.com. Apparently Alex Rodriguez was dubbed 'A-Fraud' in the locker room and had something of an obsession with teammate Derek Jeter. Torre also says that GM Brian Cashman betrayed Torre's trust and that team doctors told Yankee boss George Steinbrenner that Torre had prostate cancer before the diagnosis was given to Torre himself.

The report on the book from NYDailyNews.com says:

According to a source familiar with the book, Torre does not step out of character. He simply recites the facts as he saw them and does not unfairly disparage the Yankees. As has been reported, he reiterates the claim that Cashman did not stand up for him at the crucial meeting with the Steinbrenners in Tampa as the 2007 season wound down and the Yankee brass discussed whether to bring him back or not, even though publicly Cashman had let it be known that he wanted Torre back as manager.

According to the source familiar with the book, Torre confronted Cashman about his role in the meeting and the Yankee GM confirmed to him that he had offered no opinions to the Steinbrenners on whether they should upgrade their offer from the one-year deal to the two-year deal Torre wanted.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Apparently Alex Rodriguez was dubbed 'A-Fraud' in the locker room and had something of an obsession with teammate Derek Jeter. >>

Well, then this is sure to make him a bit jealous.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna run right out and buy that book....

....uhh....No
  • Options
    "Apparently Alex Rodriguez was dubbed 'A-Fraud' in the locker room ..."

Glad to hear that. I don't find A-Rod to be a very likeable player. Do most of you guys like him or not like him? Just curious.
  • Options

<< <i>I do not like ARod. Never have, and never will unless he is a major contributor toward some Yankee titles. I've always maintained that Torre is an ungrateful whiner. The book just proves that point. >>

What baseball said image
  • Options
    My feelings on A-Rod:
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The yankees have a long history of scum on their team.
    Trash like Billy Martin, Nettles, Rivers, Jackson, Giambi.
    A-rod is only the latest in a long line.

• Options
    hey ive been calling him A-fraud for years lol.
    I want a royalty check.
  • Options
    I can't say much on A-Rod personally because I've never had a chance to see the guy off the field. However, I do know that I enjoy watching him play the game of baseball.

I hate books like these. It's JMO but there's no need to air out all the dirty laundry in front of everyone, unless it has any real significance (i.e. Canseco's "Juiced"). Drama queens.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Memo

Please do not compare Arod to Nettles, Rivers and Giambi

Sincerely,
    Stats
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I normally don't read any tell all books, but I might read Joe Torre's book and see how it's written. I heard on the radio that Joe Torre wrote the book as he heard it during his time in NY....It doesn't mean he believes it or that he agrees with what he wrote. I have always respected Joe Torre, but the book seems like it could be questionable. I will read it before I cast any judgement.

Edit: added
    I guess Joe also rips his old team from what I read...?
  • Options

<< <i> I've always maintained that Torre is an ungrateful whiner. The book just proves that point. >>

Come again ?

That would be like Francona writing a book and saying Manny was a lazy, self-centered player at times.

Would Red Sox fans say Francona is a whiner ?

Torre is just telling his side of the story. I love the way Yankee fans can't deal with the problems Arod is causing.

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Torre seems either brave or stupid to publish this prior to retirement. Dodger fans get ready - whenever your team plays on the Fox game of the week or ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball, this book will be rehashed ad naseum.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Torre was snubbed and disrepected by Yankees management. First was the insult of a contract they offered him before he left. Then he was snubbed during the Yankee Stadium farewell. The man is a legend. He made championship teams out of hard nose players back in the late 90s. I say good for him.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Torre was snubbed and disrepected by Yankees management. First was the insult of a contract they offered him before he left. Then he was snubbed during the Yankee Stadium farewell. The man is a legend. He made championship teams out of hard nose players back in the late 90s. I say good for him. >>

I agree. The Yankees were foolish to let Torre go if he still wanted to manage there for less the 1/3 of Pay-Rod's annual salary.
  • Options

<< <i> How do you think his current players are going to feel knowing that this guy is prone to airing private dirty laundry. . >>

Current players are contract/performance driven. Current players are not like former players who may have played harder for
    a certain manager, because back then you got paid pennies.

Current players play for money only. They could care less about the manager. They only care about their next big contract.

So I'd say that Torre's airing of dirty laundry would have the guys in the Dodger clubhouse straighten up, because they know
    if they act foolish, then they're going to have a guy who is going to say how unprofessional they are.

It really doesn't matter "how they feel". The only thing that matters is performance. If they don't perform, they don't get paid.

I can't believe this isn't plain and simple to a knowledgeable baseball fan such as yourself. image
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I look at the Yankees rosters during those late 90s teams and I dont see how Torre was riding any coat tails. There were a couple of hired guns but the rest were either hard nose players and players brought up through the minor league system. Torre helped developed those guys. It's crazy to think that Torre didnt do a great job.
  • Options

<< <i>I can't believe you that the concept of human interaction is so foreign to you, EF. You must live a cave. Your comments about players motives certainly worked out well with Manny in Boston. Get a clue! There are plenty of players at any given time with contract guarantees. Playing for the next contract only applies in a certain percentage of the clubhouse due to age and other circumstances. Furthermore, you only need to really put out in your contract year. I never said that the players are not going to perform. But if you think chemistry matters so little, then the Red Sox were obviously foolish to get rid of Manny.

What's simple is your utter lack of understanding on such obvious matters. >>

Chemistry is important from player to player. Dick Williams was known as a hard a$$, and he took the 1967 pathetic Red Sox team
    to the playoffs. He won three straight world series with the A's. Earl Weaver was tough, and took Baltimore to the promised land.
    Your own Billy Martin would be tough on Reggie and a few others, and he was a winner.

Chemistry is not important from manager to player. Chemistry is important from player to player. Totally different concepts.