Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What does it take to get an origional raw coin off E-Bay?

image I'll tell ya, it is getting harder to detect coins that have been altered in anyway when buying from E-Bay! I have been trying to get a decent 1909 Wheatie that is gradable and everyone I submitted either came up questionable color, altered or cleaned. Where can one get a decent coin without paying a price like it has been graded? Just had to get this off my chest! image
Earlycoin

Comments

• Options
    Ebay is not really the right venue to buy raw coins that you want to get slabbed. You really need to look at raw material in hand before purchasing.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a VDB that I cracked out of a 66RB PCGS holder that I'll let go of for a reasonable price. I have the insert too. I haven't been submitting anything lately, and only cracked it for inclusion in a Dansco album before I finally decided to just go with slabbed coins. How about 80% of price guide?
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm..... I bought a nice 1909 Raw Lincoln off ebay a couple of months ago that has no problems. Got lucky I guess.

Search Store Inventories, thats where I found the above coin.

Ken
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image I'll tell ya, it is getting harder to detect coins that have been altered in anyway when buying from E-Bay! I have been trying to get a decent 1909 Wheatie that is gradable and everyone I submitted either came up questionable color, altered or cleaned. Where can one get a decent coin without paying a price like it has been graded? Just had to get this off my chest! image >>

$= questionable color, altered or cleaned
    $$$ = MS64RB
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Very true, although I have been lucky with other coins off E-Bay. It's just the 1909's I have been unlucky onimageimageimage
    Earlycoin
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While you can save some money to buy a raw one for grading, by now you could have probably bought a great MS example already in a slab and be done with it. Great coins on Ebay that are very original tend not to go that cheap and will have flaws that may not go MS 65 as claimed, but rather MS 64. The question is how long can you AFFORD to gamble to get the coin you desire.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    << What does it take to get an origional raw coin off E-Bay? >>

It takes looking elsewhere, try a B&M or coin show where you can buy sight seen. feePay is strictly sight unseen.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< What does it take to get an origional raw coin off E-Bay? >>

It takes looking elsewhere, try a B&M or coin show where you can buy sight seen. feePay is strictly sight unseen. >>

Ebay is just too dicey. I try to ask Ebay sellers direct questions about cleaning, scratches, damage, etc. Too often the answers are variations of "I'm not a coin dealer" or no response at all. You can't beat sight seen when it comes to raw coins. Wishful speculation about raw coins on Ebay leads to too many mistakes.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Luck.
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    sellers who do not know what they have

bad pictures

a very high tolerence for risk from the buyer

an astute buyer that can extrapolate so-so pictures and decide rough grade/condition/originality of coin

depending on what type of coin you are looking for and availability,

the success rate should be between 10% and 90%
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    The RIGHT seller with the right coins.

Experience along with Luck
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes peaches.....sometimes pits. I got an '09 and a '09VDB off the bay, both made 66Rd. Alot of flotsom and jetsom inbetween.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>sellers who do not know what they have

bad pictures

a very high tolerence for risk from the buyer

an astute buyer that can extrapolate so-so pictures and decide rough grade/condition/originality of coin

depending on what type of coin you are looking for and availability,

the success rate should be between 10% and 90% >>

That works for me picking off MS Classic Commems and Walkers off ebay. I think copper is more difficult, but it is more difficult for me because I do not focus on copper, and am less knowledgable in this area than for MS silver.