Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

2002 Donruss Diamond Kings Cuts Collection

Now starting the 2002 Diamond Cuts Collection Thread. I might be the only person out there collecting this set graded or raw and it doesn't show up on the set registry. I will have to contact PSA about that. Not in a hurry though. Anyway, my first submission just popped so I though I would share the results. As always, I will scan and post pictures when they arrive in the mail.

Grade Description Type
NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC97 BABE RUTH BAT Card US
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC96 ROBERTO CLEMENTE DIAMOND CUT-BAT Card US
NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC89 EDDIE MATHEWS BAT Card US
NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC72 TED WILLIAMS JERSEY Card US
NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC59 AL KALINE DIAMOND CUT-JERSEY Card US
NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC43 CAL RIPKEN JR. JERSEY Card US
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC36 DON MATTINGLY JERSEY Card US
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC27 ALBERT PUJOLS DIAMOND CUT-AUTOGRAPH Card US
NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC24 BOBBY DOERR AUTOGRAPH Card US
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC13 BARRY LARKIN AUTOGRAPH

Comments

• Options
    Nice lot. Looking forward to scans.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    If you want to have the set added more quickly, my suggestion would be to generate a complete listing of cards in the set, assign weights to each individual card, and then forward an Excel spreadsheet with this information to PSA. Basically, this is what PSA set registry folks have to do anyways to generate a composite for a set to be added. When I started my 2002 Studio Private Signing Set, I used Beckett's to generate a complete list with the numbers of cards produced and then determined a weighting system for each individual card based upon the number of cards produced. For example, cards numbered to 15 got a 10 weight, cards numbered to 25 got a 6 weight, cards number to 50 got a 3 weight, etc. (see link below for the composite I set up). After forwarding the spreadsheet with this information to PSA, the set was added very quickly because they had to do little work to generate the composite.

Link to My Composite

I have found that it is fun and frustrating to work on a set that nobody else is collecting. For my Private Signing set, all of the cards have been personal submissions because only a handful of cards of the 211 cards in the set have been submitted by others. So far, I have submitted about 160 of the cards for the set and am waiting for a cash flow improvement to submit the remaining 50 or so cards.

Good luck with your set!

Mike
  • Options
    Picked up cards at Post Office this morning! They came in large holders, which I had never seen before except in other people's scans. Bulky, but not that bad. I will have scans up by the end of today.

This should motivate me to get another submission put together. Maybe I will send in some of the "commons" this time. Much less dramatic unless you have a fascination for Marlon Byrd or John Buck!

Mike,
    Thanks for the tips on adding a set. I will probably do that and also factor in the player's popularity into the weighting as well.

Charlie
  • Options
    Charlie,

I decided not to base my weighting on the popularity of the players, but I did consider than alternative as well. Since popularity changes over time, a weighting based upon popularity would need to be updated periodically. My choice was to provide a weighting based on rarity sp that I did not need to revisit the weightings in the future. Since you are starting the set, the choice of weightings is completely yours. That is the beauty of collect a more obscure set!

Good luck with your set!

Mike
  • Options
    Here are scans of the PSA 8s...

• Options
    Here are the other 7 scans, resized for easier viewing.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are some nice looking cards.

Thanks for the scans...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Those cards are really nice looking...a great collection you are building.

Can you explain more the nature of PSA's grades? Does the card thickness lead to wear around the corners, etc. that cause these relatively conservative grades? Would be interested in your perspective.

Cheers,
    m
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting set.

To the previous question, many of these modern issues with thicker cards are coming out of packs no better than 7 to 8 condition. The card companies need to find a way for these cards to come out of the packs clean given the cost of the product. Depending on the issue, an all 8 set can be a real accomplishment.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    I submitted not really knowing what to expect for grades. These are extra thick cards, colored borders, and the edges do look very prone to chipping. I believe PSA grades them to the same standard that they grade any other card issued in 2002.

Here are some other interesting facts about the set.
    100 cards "Diamond Cuts" (30 Autos, 50 Jersey, 20 Bats)
    All serial #'d between 100 and 500. Add'em all up and you get 40,425 cards.
    Almost every 2002 Diamond Kings Box came with one Memorabilia card.
    20 subjects appear twice (jersey + auto or bat)
    60 subjects appear on only one card
    2 cards were mail in redemptions (Gwynn Bat and Ishii Bat)
    The hottest three young players in 2002 that appear in the set are Mark Prior, Kaz Ishii, and Albert Pujols

The 2002 Diamond Kings sold with such success, that Donruss issued a Football product with virtually the same features as the Baseball set called Gridiron Kings and the Memorabilia Set inserted called Gridiron Cuts.
  • Options
    nice set of cards.
    here is a 8 beckett

Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    It took about a month, but PSA added 2002 Donruss Diamond Cut Collection to the Registry! I added my cards. Now I am motivated to put together another submission. Maybe I will submit the "Whatever happened to that guy?" cards to balance out with the HOFers I submitted first.

I just love the look, player compostition, auto/jersey/bat compostition of the set, even if it never gets popular with other people, especially in graded condition.
  • Options
    I just got 13 cards back from PSA. The thick cards take much more time than the regular cards for anyone thinkng about submitting the thick memorabilia cards. I have submitted 23 so far and a PSA 8 is the highest grade received due to the delicate edges. I don't even know if a PSA 9 is possible let alone a PSA 10.

Here is the best of the recent bunch, and it is a multi-color cut.

Link to my sets if you want to see pictures of the rest of the set in the registry.

Charlie's Registry Sets

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Neat looking Henderson, Congrats!
  • Options
    New grades popped, When they arrive in the mail, I will post some scans. Let me know what cards you would like to see!

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC61 BERNIE WILLIAMS JERSEY
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC64 PEDRO MARTINEZ JERSEY
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC71 JORGE POSADA JERSEY
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC75 GARY CARTER JERSEY
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC82 DON MATTINGLY BAT
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC51 MANNY RAMIREZ JERSEY
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC26 ROBERT FICK AUTOGRAPH
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC29 ANTONIO PEREZ AUTOGRAPH

NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC14 GARY CARTER AUTOGRAPH
    NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC17 KAZUHISA ISHII AUTOGRAPH
    NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC21 J.D. DREW AUTOGRAPH
    NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC23 JUAN MARICHAL AUTOGRAPH
    NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC30 WILSON BETEMIT AUTOGRAPH
    NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC33 GEORGE BRETT JERSEY
    NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC47 ROGER CLEMENS JERSEY
    NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC56 CARLOS BELTRAN JERSEY
    NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC66 MIKE PIAZZA JERSEY
    NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC68 BO JACKSON JERSEY
    NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC88 BO JACKSON BAT
    NEAR MINT 7 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC95 BERNIE WILLIAMS BAT

EXCELLENT-MINT 6 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC31 ALEX RODRIGUEZ JERSEY
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC22 SO TAGUCHI AUTOGRAPH
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC98 ROBERTO ALOMAR BAT
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC86 CARLTON FISK BAT
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 2002 DONRUSS DIAMOND KINGS DIAMOND CUT DC50 CARLTON FISK JERSEY
  • Options
    No requests from my earlier post so I will post a scan of my favorite. Paid a premium for it on ebay (fierce bidding above book value), but was worth it to me as I am a lifelong Royals Fan and the card has the most distinctive feature of the Royals logo.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if PSA has started to put thicker memorabilia cards like these into the new smaller holders? I would love to see someone's scan or photo of the new holder with a thicker card in them. Thanks. P.S. I am on the lookout for the Joe Torre Auto and the Rafael Palmeiro Auto Cards from this set.
  • Options
    I submitted the rest of the cards I had for this set since PSA changed its holders for thicker cards. Very Happy with the new holder, but the grader I got for this batch was about a full point tougher. My first cards sent in registered mostly 7s and 8s. This time, years later, the cardsrecieved mostly 6s and 7s. I am nearly certain that even a pack fresh card will never recieve a PSA 9. Thick Cards like these with brown borders are SO prone to chips and dings. Still I love the composition of this set. Autos, Jerseys, Bats, HoFs, Stars, and Rookies, it has it all.

Enjoy the pics...
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage