Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What auction company would YOU choose?

Let's say you had the #2 1968 OPC Baseball set nearly 85% complete
with a combined grade average of about 7.7 and you were going to
take out the Seaver card in PSA GEM MINT 10 because it is the only
one and replace it with a 9, so you can sell the Seaver separately?

And suppose you had some other pretty tough stuff to auction,
who would YOU use? (Not including FEEBAY, of course)

Just hypothetical of course! image

Tony
KalineFan

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Goodwin
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Goodwin or Huggins & Scott. It would get lost everywhere else.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Not Mastro
  • Options
    Thanks to all for all the personal and open replies!

I have seen Huggins and Scott, but, why them if someone could elaborate?

Thanks,
    Tony

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Why Huggins and Scott?
    They don't specialize in "investment quality" cards. It's a lot more aimed at collectors that are not looking necessarily for the best of the best, but rather nice items presented well. They often have a lot of scarce items as well- Felins Franks, '49 Leaf proofs, things like that, but a set like yours (not complete, and OPC rather than the Topps issue) would be much more appreciated.
    They have a high quality catalog, have built a solid reputation over many years, are well connected, are professional, are not currently under investigation or on parole, and treat people well. Their buyers premium is reasonable, and they recently announced a reduction in that premium. They treat both buyers and consigners well, and IMO would certainly be worth talking to about your set.
    Please note- I do not work for H & S, have no affiliation with them, and have not consigned anything to them in the last 2 years. I base the above on my experience bidding (sometimes successfully) over the last few years, and with them when they were operating under the name "House of Cards".

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    fyi
    the last month or so I have been using my psa set registry as an inventory. I have been going back thru vintage card prices and putting a value of every card I have (not done yet) but after about 3/4 way completed it is clear goodwin easily gets top dollar. nothing even close.

I have never sent acard to any auction so Icannot say what other factors would be...
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Mile High has a pretty good rep, don't they?
  • Options
    To me REA is the top auction house around.Mr. Lifson provides top notch service everytime.However I think your set may get lost on his auction.I would call him and express that concern.
    Mike
  • Options
    I also agree about Huggins & Scott.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To me REA is the top auction house around.Mr. Lifson provides top notch service everytime.However I think your set may get lost on his auction.I would call him and express that concern.
    Mike >>

I think REA required all items to be in by 1/20/2009 for the May, 2009 auction.
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Mile High sold a friend of mines ruth card-did a great job !

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Mile High or Goodwin. I think both of these guys do a very good job. I know that they are very reasonable to consign with as well. Depending on what you give them to auction off and how much money it will bring will only help you on getting a good percentage off of the sellers fees.
    Mastro, REA and HA the items would be lost in there huge auctions.

Regards,
    Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Wow, certainly between the broadcasts and the private messages I have been sent,
    I am getting a TON of good input.

I find it interesting that very few talked about Heritage. They are a HUGE company
    in the RARE COIN BIZ and just had a $50 Million auction at the just completed
    Florida United Numismatists (F.U.N.) show. I am not tooting their horn, I am just
    wondering with a company that did over 1/2 Billion last year in ALL of their auctions
    was rarely mentioned.

But, once again, thanks for all the great input!

Tony
    KalineFan

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I like REA and Huggins but Greg Buisneau (sp) at Legacy is starting up his non ebay auctions this year. I would give him a call as his terms are nice, he does a great job in promoting and I feel he is a good guy and will try hard for your items since he is just starting.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set