Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

can someone identify anything about these 2 'Pirate type' gold coins?

A friend gave me these two gold coins to submit for him to PCGS, but the amount of information he had is "limited" to say the least. All I know about them is what's on the flips, and I'd like to learn more information about them to put on the invoice. Can anyone help? All I know about them is:

Larger coin -- Thin planchet. About 1" in diameter. Flip is marked "Portugese". That's it.
Smaller coin -- Thicker planchet. About 3/4" in diameter. Flip says "2 Escudos. Santa Fe de Bogota"

When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    The one on the left is Portugal, from the reign of Sebastiao I (1557-1578). I'm not sure what the denomination is, I think it's a cruzado.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The one on the left is Portugal, from the reign of Sebastiao I (1557-1578). I'm not sure what the denomination is, I think it's a cruzado. >>

Thank you very much!! That's way more than I knew before.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    wow! your friend is no novice when it comes to collecting coins!
  • Options

<< <i>The one on the left is Portugal, from the reign of Sebastiao I (1557-1578). I'm not sure what the denomination is, I think it's a cruzado. >>

The king is correct, but Sebastiao I didn't struck cruzados (400 Reis), that coin is a 500 Reis (3,8 grams - .9219 fine), and it is one of the common types.
    P.S.: you should rotate the reverse (1st pic) 90º clockwise.

Jose