Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Set rating question.

Why is it that cards in the registry are rated based on the raw card value rather than the Population Report?

This doesn't seem right to me.

In the 86 Fleer set for example, Maurice Lucas, Rolando Blackman and Steve Johnson are 3 of the tougest 9s in the set. Yet their rating doesn't reflect that.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Because the composition is based on the importance of the card to the set not the rarity of the card.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    My understanding is that the rating of the card isn't based on the raw value, but the value in PSA 8.

I think the system does have some flaws though. PSA 8 in 1952 Topps is a lot harder than PSA 8 in 1990 Leaf. In my opinion, there is no one standard that makes sense when applied to all sets across the board. I think each set needs to be evaluated on its own to account for the vast differences in conditions from year to year an issue to issue.

I also find this very confusing from the Set Registry's FAQs:

"What are weights?
    Within a set, not all cards and tickets have the same value. Sets in the PSA Set Registry are weighted on a 1 to 10 scale with 10 being the rarest item and 1 being the most common. While it may be in true in some instances that an item may be many times over 10 as rare as the most common item in the set, the Registry keeps the scale simple so that all levels of collectors can compete. Each item within the set is assigned a weight based on the value of the item in NM-MT condition."

So, is this saying that it is rarity that gives a card it's weight or the NM-MT condition? Or is this saying that the value of a PSA 8 already reflects the rarity of the card?

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    so you think a low pop common should be higher than a HOFer? What happens when someone submitts 20 of that low pop common??

they have a tough time keeping up with weights at the present. if they used the pop, which isnt 100% current to adjust weight we would really be behind.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so you think a low pop common should be higher than a HOFer? What happens when someone submitts 20 of that low pop common??

they have a tough time keeping up with weights at the present. if they used the pop, which isnt 100% current to adjust weight we would really be behind. >>

How about basing the rating on the percentage of grades given vs. the total number of cards submitted?
  • Options
    so by that measure you dont want the Jordan to be rated as high as a low pop common??

pop numbers dont mean that the cards arent out there. they just havent been graded yet to the numbers of more popular cards.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    does card sensitivity (ie. black borders) taken into consideration for weight of card?
  • Options

<< <i>does card sensitivity (ie. black borders) taken into consideration for weight of card? >>

no that is dealt with when the cards are graded. only price in psa 8 determines the weight of the card. for example all 1971 topps baseball have black borders, so that plays no part in weighting that set.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>does card sensitivity (ie. black borders) taken into consideration for weight of card? >>

no that is dealt with when the cards are graded. only price in psa 8 determines the weight of the card. for example all 1971 topps baseball have black borders, so that plays no part in weighting that set. >>

i understand if the set is all the same type of card. but wouldnt a player set have different standards for weight then. I would think a 1992 donruss joe carter with centering issue would be weighted higher than other card in the collection.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Insofar as card sensitivity affects the price of graded cards, it is taken into account in Player Sets, which encompass black-border (and other very easily damaged border) cards as well as non-black border cards.

You'll see a higher registry weight for '71 than '69 or '70, for example, on some player sets where the difference cannot be attributed to series (e.g., Gaylord Perry).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of grade weights, does anyone know why the O-Pee-Chee baseball sets, in particular the 1971 set, have not been weighted?