Home Sports Talk
Options

Sox-Papelbon Agree on $6+ Million Contract

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
this tells me that Papelbon's time in Boston will end when he becomes a free agent. As a Boras guy, he's as good as gone when eligible. I'd consider Daniel Bard the one guy in the Sox farm system that is untradeable -- as he is the heir apparent to Papelbon.

Comments

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're right. Boras and $$$$$$$$$ have a way of screwing things up. A $6m contract is like getting paid a mil a month for "playing" baseball. If you break that down to $250k per week, the per hour rate for Papelbon's services for his one and maybe two inning effort is truly staggering. At some point in the distant future I think the bubble will burst as the burden of contracts continue to fall upon those who buy the tickets...or, at that point refuse to do so.

If memory serves, Ted Williams never made more than $100k per season. I know it's way back when money, but still a paltry sum compared to those who mostly warm the pine and contriubte little if anything. Mike Hampton comes to mind.

Oh well, let's enjoy it while we have it I guess.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, him too? That blows.

Well Pap, have fun saving games for the Orioles in 2010.
  • Options

<< <i>Geez, him too? That blows.

Well Pap, have fun saving games for the Orioles in 2010. >>

I think this was his first arbitration year, so it won't be 2010. Chances are Rivera will retire when Papelbon becomes a FA, so NYY will give him $12 million a year or more (unless Papelbon gets injured or pulls a Gagme)
  • Options
    Papelbon has the second lowest ERA since 1900 for pitchers over 200 innings.

I think Reggie Jackson got 124,000/year in 1976 from the Yankees.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    He's no Brad Lidge, but if he can get that amount of cash, then good for him!
  • Options

<< <i>He's no Brad Lidge, but if he can get that amount of cash, then good for him! >>

I think this is the second time in as many weeks that I have agreed with a JS post. image

as an aside, Sox fans: check out boston.com for a good article by Amalie Benjamin on the Sox minor league system and its prospects.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I wouldn't be so quick to write off Papelbon . . . according to the Globe today both sides brought up signing an extension for multiple years but they wanted to get the one year deal signed right away.

"The Sox avoided arbitration for Dustin Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis earlier this winter by signing both to long-term contracts. While Papelbon is signed to a one-year deal, both he and the Sox remain open to a long-term commitment.

'We did have some discussions along the way,' assistant GM Jed Hoyer said. 'I would say certainly those discussions are open and we may pick them up going forward. I think both sides felt like in the interest of time and not exchanging numbers [for an arbitration hearing], the best thing to do was to agree on a one-year number today. But we are certainly open to exploring those ideas, and I think their side is, too.'"

Globe Article
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't be so quick to write off Papelbon . . . according to the Globe today both sides brought up signing an extension for multiple years but they wanted to get the one year deal signed right away.

"The Sox avoided arbitration for Dustin Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis earlier this winter by signing both to long-term contracts. While Papelbon is signed to a one-year deal, both he and the Sox remain open to a long-term commitment.

'We did have some discussions along the way,' assistant GM Jed Hoyer said. 'I would say certainly those discussions are open and we may pick them up going forward. I think both sides felt like in the interest of time and not exchanging numbers [for an arbitration hearing], the best thing to do was to agree on a one-year number today. But we are certainly open to exploring those ideas, and I think their side is, too.'"

Globe Article >>

while that would be fine and cool if it were to happen, I believe he will test the FA waters in 2011 (I think that's when he is eligible...unless it is 2012).
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    With Boras looking like an idiot in his approach with Varitek and Manny, and the economy staying in the crapper for another 3-4 years, it wouldn't shock me to see some Boras clients jump ship to be able to sign these deals that will get them through the arbitration years and first year or two of free agent eligibility.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>this tells me that Papelbon's time in Boston will end when he becomes a free agent. As a Boras guy, he's as good as gone when eligible. I'd consider Daniel Bard the one guy in the Sox farm system that is untradeable -- as he is the heir apparent to Papelbon. >>

An article by Rob Bradford says Pap is represented by the Levisons, not Bor-A$$.
  • Options
    just read some Boston Herald, that is correct: Seth and Sam Levinson. I guess I hate his agents less than I do Varitek's agents, which will help me root for Papelbon a bit more this year. THANKS!
  • Options
    I heard a good point made on WEEI today as a reason why Varitek isn't signed yet - he's going through a divorce which is finalized next week. So he's holding off signing a new deal so he doesn't have to give her 1/2 of that money.
  • Options

<< <i>I heard a good point made on WEEI today as a reason why Varitek isn't signed yet - he's going through a divorce which is finalized next week. So he's holding off signing a new deal so he doesn't have to give her 1/2 of that money. >>

and he can go public with Heidi Watney?
  • Options
    yes, he can! (that might be one of the worst kept "secrets" in Boston)
  • Options

<< <i>yes, he can! (that might be one of the worst kept "secrets" in Boston) >>

her endless primping prior to a Sox game was disgusting. She's totally into herself and her looks.

And yes, wouldn't stop me, but I'm just sayin'
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    great signing for Boston. I actually believe he is worth that much!