Home Stamps Forum

Wholesale prices for US stamps ?

Does anyone publish wholesale prices for US stamps ?
Similar to coins with the "grey sheet" aka Coin Dealer News Letter
that publishes bid/ask prices most dealers work around.

I'm trying to get an idea of how much a dealer pays for stamps.
I'd like to know this so I can estimate my downside when buying stamps.

Comments

• coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Wholesale? Go to your local library and pick up a recent Scott Catalogue.

If it is U.S. material released after 1930, it is worth 60-80% of face value (yes, you're better off sticking them on envelopes).

U.S. pre-1930 material in F-VF condition, figure 10-20% of Scott at best (not 10-20% below the value, 10-20% *OF* the value).

World collections, including classic material (pre-1940), unless you have rarities or the material is in gem condition, assume 3-15% of Scott.

Certified and Graded U.S. classics, and niche areas (covers, fancy cancels, etc.) can range all over the map, and can be quite lucrative, but not for the beginner.

Condition is the key determiner, moreso than catalogue value (in my opinion).
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< If it is U.S. material released after 1930, it is worth 60-80% of face value (yes, you're better off sticking them on envelopes). >>>

That's amazing how stamps from then are of so little value compared to things such as coins and cards. And stamps are such an interesting collectible - I guess the problem is everyone was doing it back then and everyone kept their stamps, and stamp collector interest these days is less, resulting in the statement you made about the value...but still amazing to me they would still be of so little value.
  • Yes, sad but true.
  • KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Part of it may be because postage isn't monetized, as is US coinage and currency. For all practical purposes, you walk out the USPS door and your new stamps are worthless, other than their ability to send a letter somewhere. If you could return them to the USPS and get your money back everything would be different.
  • ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, part of it may be the total explosion of philatelic product by USPS. When I started collecting in the 70's, you'd wait 5-10 years between souvenir sheets. Now nearly every issue looks like a souvenir sheet. And many more issues than ever before. It just got too much for me to keep up with all the new issues, so I quit regular issues about 7 years ago.