Home Sports Talk
Options

Manning, Brady... Warner?

AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
Manning and Brady are typically thought of as the best 2 QB's from this generation. Warner now too?

Collecting
HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Comments

• Options
    Your QB is only as good as your offensive line, receivers, and OC.

Does Kurt Warner throw passes as well as Peyton and Brady, yes.

McNabb is not a hall of famer. I've never seen a guy miss so many open receivers in my lifetime.

After watching guys like Steve Young, Montana, Marino, Elway, Warren Moon, Manning, Brady, and Warner
    hit open receivers time after time, it is a bad idea IMO to mention McNabb with them.

McNabb looks like Rodney Peete about 30% of the time. Other times he is a very good QB.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Well Warner is now 3 for 3 in NFL championship games and has one Super Bowl win and 1 Super Bowl Mvp which makes him an elite QB. I wouldn't say he's as good as Manning, but he's certainly a better big game QB than Manning.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    An interesting career trajectory - that's for sure. Shone brilliantly for a brief stretch, then completely fell apart. During those grim NYG years, I never would've guessed he'd still be in football at this point, let alone leading a team to the Super Bowl.

Not sure where he ranks relative to his peers, but I'd not begrudge him an eventual trip to Canton. I kinda prefer those who dominate for a relatively short time to those who are pretty good for a really long time.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

In naming all these big time QB's you have left out a guy named Troy A. from the big "D". He won three count'em three Super Bowls and was one of "THE" best passers of all time who always hit the open reciever.
  • Options
    Aikman isn't from this generation.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean not from this generation. 1992 1993 and 1995? That's just 10-15 yrs.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    The year was 1994. Peyton Manning was starting his career at the University of Tennessee and Kurt Warner was a bag boy at the Hy Vee supermarket...fast forward
    to 1998-99. Peyton Manning the first pick of the nfl draft leads the colts to a 3-13 season while throwing 28 interceptions. Kurt Warner leads the Rams to a super
    bowl throwing for almost 4300 yards!!! Enter Tom Brady, who at Michigan was the 7th QB on the depth chart there!

Sounds like destiny to me!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurt Warner not quite yet in my opinion, even if he wins the Super Bowl
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warner is in the HOF. His stats are not adjusted for playing in Fenway Park.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In naming all these big time QB's you have left out a guy named Troy A. from the big "D". He won three count'em three Super Bowls and was one of "THE" best passers of all time who always hit the open reciever. >>

Plus I believe the Cowboys had the most wins in a decade by an NFL team in history. Where are ya Matt, is this correct.
  • Options
    ugh . I'm talking about from 2000 to present, the era clearly defined as the Manning/Brady era of NFL quarterbacking. Is Warner in that same breath now? No Aikman, Favre, Marino, Elway, Young, Montana.
    Hell I was 13 years old when Aikman played his last game, I dunno how good the dude was. Heh.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Is Warner a HOF...YES
    Is he near good a QB as Manning or Brady...NO
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Everyone's all time greatest QB (Manning) is something like 8-9 in the playoffs in his career. Shouldn't that be a little better to be considered an all time great?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Everyone's all time greatest QB (Manning) is something like 8-9 in the playoffs in his career. Shouldn't that be a little better to be considered an all time great? >>

It depends, if you consider Marino & Moon an all time great then its a no brainer.

He is an all time great IMO
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Everyone's all time greatest QB (Manning) is something like 8-9 in the playoffs in his career. Shouldn't that be a little better to be considered an all time great? >>

It depends, if you consider Marino & Moon an all time great then its a no brainer.

He is an all time great IMO >>

Playoff records for these two:
    Marino-8-10
    Moon-3-7

Everyone loves the stats guys, but give me an Aikman, Brady (not a big stat guy until 2007), or Bradshaw over these guys any day of the week.
  • Options
    Oh I'm sure if Marino were in the offense pittsburgh had with bradshaw they would have been fine.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

He is an all time great IMO >>

Playoff records for these two:
    Marino-8-10
    Moon-3-7

Everyone loves the stats guys, but give me an Aikman, Brady (not a big stat guy until 2007), or Bradshaw over these guys any day of the week. >>

Except for Brady Aikman had phenominal playmakers along side him during his Super Bowl victories, put Marino & Moon behind the same teams or vice versa and you would include these two guys along with Aikman.

Brady on the other hand won with minimal talent surrounding him- thats why I rate him better.

IMO its not even debatable ( SteveK quote ) image
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I hope we don't get too caught up in Super Bowl appearances and/or victories being a criteria for the HOF. In that case, after next Sunday, there's a strong possibilty that Big Ben will be sitting with two Super Bowl rings and a good chance at seeing more opportunities. Would he be mentioned as a potential HOFer or all-time great based upon his track record so far?

Does anoyone recall his passer rating in the last Super Bowl he won? It was the LOWEST ever. Not just the lowest by a winning QB, but the lowest by any starting QB in the past 42 Super Bowls.

I can't put Warner in with Brady or Manning at this time. Too much inconsistency. When he was on, there weren't too many better, but when he was off, he was benched for the likes of Green, Bulger and an unprepared Eli Manning. Could you imagine Manning, Favre or Brady being benched after a couple of bad games?

Best of the era (2000-present)? Only three: Brady, P. Manning and Favre.
  • Options

<< <i>I hope we don't get too caught up in Super Bowl appearances and/or victories being a criteria for the HOF. In that case, after next Sunday, there's a strong possibilty that Big Ben will be sitting with two Super Bowl rings and a good chance at seeing more opportunities. Would he be mentioned as a potential HOFer or all-time great based upon his track record so far?

Does anoyone recall his passer rating in the last Super Bowl he won? It was the LOWEST ever. Not just the lowest by a winning QB, but the lowest by any starting QB in the past 42 Super Bowls.

I can't put Warner in with Brady or Manning at this time. Too much inconsistency. When he was on, there weren't too many better, but when he was off, he was benched for the likes of Green, Bulger and an unprepared Eli Manning. Could you imagine Manning, Favre or Brady being benched after a couple of bad games?

Best of the era (2000-present)? Only three: Brady, P. Manning and Favre. >>

Good point about Big Ben. I will never say Super Bowl victories should play a big part in HOF consideration nor do I think its a neccesity for a QB to be considered an all time great either. I will say however that in a strange way if Brady lost the Super Bowls he won would you people still consider him an all time great? I think the fact that Brady DID win three Super Bowls with subpar teams means everything when talking him up as an all time great- until 2007 he was not a great "Stat" QB....
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aikman was a solid QB, but is not on the same level by any stretch as Brady and Manning..Aikman, like Bradshaw, benefitted greatly by having future HOFers all around him: Smith, Owens, Newton and one of the best O-lines in football. Warner is tougher to categorize, if only because his career trajectory has so wildly fluctuated between brillaince and despair...I'd like to see him get to Canton one day, but Manning and Brady are both consiiderably better QBs than either Aikman or Warner..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    If Roethlisberger wins this Super Bowl, and another (I know, getting greedy), he's a lock for the HOF. It won't matter what his stats look like.
  • Options
    Big Ben is on his way, potentially, to the HOF, if only because no QB that has even led his team to the Super Bowl three times (never mind winning it) is not in the HOF...and next Sunday Ben will be 2-0 in the big game..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Getting back to playoff performances and QBs, here is Peyton Manning's career playoff passer rating-84.9 and here is Roethlisberger's-86.5 (that's with his crummy 22 rating in SB 40). I know that Peyton Manning is probably the all time greatest 'regular season' QB, but there's definitely something to be said for his performances in the playoffs. He's pretty much had a very good team around him, better team on offense than Roethlisberger has ever had.

So what happens to Manning in the playoffs? I've already stated he's a great QB, so that's not up for debate, but why does he perform so poorly in the playoffs? That goes a long way in my book to determine HOFers (which he is one already, but that's only because his regular season stats are so ridiculously good).
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the fact that Brady DID win three Super Bowls with subpar teams means everything when talking him up as an all time great- until 2007 he was not a great "Stat" QB.... >>

Aikman wasn't really a great "stat" QB, either. Never had a 3500 yard passing season and threw for over 20 TD's once in his career. Still managed to have a HOF WR and RB beside him, though. Soon, they'll add an OL or two...
  • Options
    Maybe Manning underperforms in the playoffs for the same reason some subpar QB's have overperformed in the playoffs... a random coincidence.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Maybe Manning underperforms in the playoffs for the same reason some subpar QB's have overperformed in the playoffs... a random coincidence.
    John

That is very likely..After all, the sample size, we're talking about here is very small..Elways was considered a Super Bowl bust QB till he got TD running the rocks behind him...the postseason record has more to do with the persoinnel around you than the individual QB, IMO...though I will give Montana the benefit of the doubt, LOLO..