Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

'Genuine' Question

I am thinking of sending in some coins that are varieties.
But some have slight scratches that might or might not grade.
If they do not grade and are put in 'Genuine' holders, would the variety be attributed?
These are going in through PCGS' 90% complete set freebie submissions, so there shouldn't be an extra fee to attribute the variety (as far as I know).

Any experiences or thoguhts?

Comments

• Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    The $24 fee does apply

This is under the benefit link at the top of your registry page.

Due to the amount of time it takes the PCGS graders to attribute varieties, the free submission benefits are for grading only, not variety attribution. If you wish to use the variety attribution service as well, please include payment for this service with your submission. It is your responsibility to pay for postage and insurance.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Just read it online.......

Due to the amount of time it takes the PCGS graders to attribute varieties, the free submission benefits are for grading only, not variety attribution.
    If you wish to use the variety attribution service as well, please include payment for this service with your submission.

OK, so there is a fee for the attribution.
    But the question remains, if I pay for attribution, will the attribution be included if the coin 'Genuine's'? image

$24??
    My submission form list this as $20. Was there an increase??
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it will be included on the holder.

The Variety (VAM) attribution fee was raised to $24 effective January 1. Sucks doesn't it?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Sux BIG time.

So......on a 'normal' submission that means at least $18 for grading + a $25 variety fee + a $5 'Handling' fee + $16 minimum shipping fee.
    Let's see, $64 to slab a variety that may only be worth a bit more to a lot less?
    Are we shooting ourselves in the foot?
    Heck, most of these don't take but a second more to identify (in my case a 1964-D/D....very obvious).

Gee, I wonder why pop's will stay low on many of these.
  • Options
    Oh great, any other fee increases I've missed? image

Time to pimp out PCGS slabs to 'friends' so they can use me as a reference! image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's say you cherrypick a B.U. common VAM and you decide to get it graded at PCGS. Here's an Idea of what you're in for cost-wise:

-- Cherrypicked coin: $25
    -- Economy grading fee: $18
    -- VAM designation fee: $24
    -- Per-order handling fee: $8
    -- Postage/insurance to get it to PCGS (assuming you ignore their request to use Registered and you use regular 1st Class instead: $3.66.
    -- Minimum PCGS return postage fee: $16

Total cost of your cherrypick plus getting it into a PCGS holder: $94.66.
    Moral of the story: Make it a good cherrypick.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Total cost of your cherrypick plus getting it into a PCGS holder: $94.66.
    Moral of the story: Make it a good cherrypick. >>

And you might just end up with a Genuine slab the first time around... either make it a very good cherrypick, or send a bunch in at once to save on the shipping per coin...
  • Options
    Maybe instead of running promotions to try to get more submissions, all the while increasing fee's, TPGs should think about making submissions more affordable.
    No shame in price reductions in this economy.....better than a 'Going Out of Business' sale.
  • Options
    Wow things just keep going up, I guess I have to raise my prices to
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    "...If they do not grade and are put in 'Genuine' holders, would the variety be attributed?..."

So that's the 64,000 question. Will they DEFINITELY add the variety (if one specified that as an added service and included it in the price/payment) to a genny or not?

I hope (and suspect) they will (would be - at best - sorta stupid to return the variety fee and not to or - at worst - criminal to keep the fee and not to). Can someone conform unequivocally?
  • Options

<< <i>"...If they do not grade and are put in 'Genuine' holders, would the variety be attributed?..."

So that's the 64,000 question. Will they DEFINITELY add the variety (if one specified that as an added service and included it in the price/payment) to a genny or not?

I hope (and suspect) they will (would be - at best - sorta stupid to return the variety fee and not to or - at worst - criminal to keep the fee and not to). Can someone conform unequivocally? >>

PCGS' printed word:

<< <i>We will not net-grade coins and will not print any other grading information. The no grade code to the right of the coin number is what should be used to determine the problem that PCGS has identified. Other than what has been mentioned the labels will remain the same, i.e., same color, design, etc.

Genuine coins will be eligible for variety attribution. This should be great news for collectors of many series such as CBH or early dollar where many coins, especially the rarer varieties, have been cleaned or impaired in some way.

Genuine coins will continue to be eligible for Registry sets. Coins in genuine holders will have a set value of one (1). Genuine coins are not eligible for 'low ball' sets.

We at PCGS hope that the revised Genuine process will help many collectors achieve their goal of completing their sets and having their coins authenticated and encapsulated by the most respected grading service in the world. >>

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    "...Genuine coins will be eligible for variety attribution..."

Great news and thanks for digging it up. image

• Options
    Seems they do go in a genuine holder, I got jinxed.

1 1 13208840 37706 1928-S 1C US VF30BN
    2 1 13208841 37900 1953-D/D 1C US MS64RD
    3 1 13208842 37962 1959-D/D/D 1C US MS64RD
    4 1 13208843 3555 1961-D 1C US Genuine (93 - Planchet Flaw)
    5 1 13208844 37971 1963-D 1C US MS63RD
  • Options
    Mike,

Nice to know you have a 'genuine' 1961-D Lincoln cent! image

Interesting that a 'planchet flaw' is cause for a BB....I mean a 'Genuine Coffin'.
    How bad was the flaw?
  • Options
    Its actually a D/Hor D if that matters, but its genuine. The flaw is a crater which the R in Liberty was struck over, I tried sliding the coin thru, but seems that didn't work.image I'll try to get a pic when it gets back.

I've had a NGC 1909 PR65RB not cross because of planchet flaw, that I never could find on the coin.
  • Options
    I know image ....Would this coin have gotten a grade if it went in under the MINT ERROR service?

• Options
    MJHMJH Posts: 538 ✭✭
    It would have received a grade.

For the extra $40 error service fee.
    the only thing once its in an ERROR holder it does not qualify for any registry sets.

Mint Errors
    PCGS grades some coins through the Mint Error program. These are coins such as planchet clips and off-metal strikings that have been unintentionally struck by the Mint. Mint errors are designated by an "E" in front of the coin number on the PCGS holder insert. Mint errors can be added to "My Inventory" and the Collectors Showcase, but cannot be used in competitive sets.