Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

QDB Stickers

I went by the Stacks table at the FUN show and saw both PCGS and NGC slabs with CAC stickers on them as well as QDB stickers.
I guess the sticker business is "the thing". After all Q David Bowers is a Numismatic legend. So lets all sticker the stickers !

Imagine if there was a David Hall sticker on an NGC slab and PCGS would not cross the coin ?

Is the P.Q. designation forthcoming on a PCGS slab ?

How about the % of Red on a copper coin listed on a slab ?

Stewart

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    magine if there was a David Hall sticker on an NGC slab and PCGS would not cross the coin ? Now THAT would be funny!

Given the many recent changes to increase revenue I can see them at least thinking about it. How about another PCGS sticker on their own coins. The benefit would be is that we knew they looked at it longer than most coins and it would tell us not to bother to send that particular coin in for a regrade...

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see 2 grades in the same coin case from the same grader - 1 for the condition of the coin's strike and the 2nd for the coin's color(s). I've seen red mint state wheat Lincolns I would not give a dime for because the strike is pitiful - the 1916 D, 1918 D, and the 1920 D comes to mind. I've seen XF and AU brown wheat Lincolns that deserve to be noticed for their strike and not so much for the color (although I like both red and brown).
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breen used to use milk spots (or something like that)
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally think ALL the stickers are just plain stupid. If you don't agree with the grade on the holder and the coin does not have eye appeal to you.....................DON'T BUY THE COIN!!!! How hard is that????
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL. As far as stickers, the only one I can see of real value would be a pedigree sticker, so you wouldn't have to reholder.
    Doug
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    How about more stickers? Lets just put as much stickers as it takes to cover up the entire slab until you can't see the coin?
  • Options
    1918D 1C
    PCGS MS65RD (color)
    PCGS VF20 (strike)

2507.65.20/12345678
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

• Options
    stickers = chopmarks
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭

<< <i>I personally think ALL the stickers are just plain stupid. If you don't agree with the grade on the holder and the coin does not have eye appeal to you.....................DON'T BUY THE COIN!!!! How hard is that???? >>

I think I have to agree with this one. I thought that's what the "plastic" was for.

<< <i>Imagine if there was a David Hall sticker on an NGC slab and PCGS would not cross the coin ? >>

If I see an NGC coin with a CAC sticker on it, that tells me it should cross to PCGS. Right?

Regardless of differences in grading opinions, if CAC stickers it then whomever graded it got it right. Right?

If an NGC coin has a CAC sticker on it, should it be allowed in the PCGS Registry? If it's got the CAC sticker, it's "primo". Right? I've always understood the reason NGC coins aren't allowed in is because of the grading differences between the two companies.

To me CAC is usless. Just a money grab. The only positive thing is see is it might slow down the upgrading attempts. If you fail to get the upgrade you'll have to send it back to CAC for another sticker.

Dan
  • Options
    HA! Interesting the CAC thread vanished!

• Options
    TreemanTreeman Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    "If an NGC coin has a CAC sticker on it, should it be allowed in the PCGS Registry? If it's got the CAC sticker, it's "primo". Right? I've always understood the reason NGC coins aren't allowed in is because of the grading differences between the two companies."

PCGS allows only PCGS coins on their Registry in order to keep the illusion that PCGS coins are "better". This keeps PCGS coins selling at a higher price, in turn, adding to the illusion. NGC shows respect for other (PCGS) graders, and allows these coins on their Registry. Seems, logically speaking, that NGC is geared more to collectors, and the advancement, and enjoyment, of the hobby. Just my opinion, formed by the use of logic, rather than Kool-aid.

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    One cannot split a hair with a dull axe.

Old American proverb, just invented.
  • Options
    Perhaps the quickest way to get rid of a thread is to put a CAC sticker on it. But, only if the thread is solid for the grade.

I can understand PCGS limiting the set registry to their own, since they're a business, and it's counterintuitive to endorse one rival but not others. It would be the equivalent to Lexus advertising how both their own cars and Infiniti are better than other car manufacturers. Consumer Reports, maybe, but to expect it from the company itself is out-of-character. NGC is being kind to include PCGS in their set registry, even though the two are both pretty much neck and neck in industry respect, with the other guys off in the distance behind.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"If an NGC coin has a CAC sticker on it, should it be allowed in the PCGS Registry? If it's got the CAC sticker, it's "primo". Right? I've always understood the reason NGC coins aren't allowed in is because of the grading differences between the two companies."

PCGS allows only PCGS coins on their Registry in order to keep the illusion that PCGS coins are "better". This keeps PCGS coins selling at a higher price, in turn, adding to the illusion. NGC shows respect for other (PCGS) graders, and allows these coins on their Registry. Seems, logically speaking, that NGC is geared more to collectors, and the advancement, and enjoyment, of the hobby. Just my opinion, formed by the use of logic, rather than Kool-aid. >>

Why should PCGS care about anyone else's coins? That's what I don't get. NGC could make their registry NGC only and that would be understandable.
    If you want a coin, you want a coin. If you want to play in the registry, then you go with the rules set up. As a business, I would do the same thing PCGS does....koolaide or not.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    PCGS has nothing to worry about from NGC or CAC if they are financially sound and continue to offer high quality service that people have come to expect from them. It appears very weak of the business to go so far as to sensor information on a web site. I don't care that they don't allow other coins in their registry. I sent a PCI graded coin to PCGS and it went up a grade so, so much for the lesser valued companies. It's in the registry now. image

• Options
    "Why should PCGS care about anyone else's coins? That's what I don't get. NGC could make their registry NGC only and that would be understandable.
    If you want a coin, you want a coin. If you want to play in the registry, then you go with the rules set up. As a business, I would do the same thing PCGS does....koolaide or not."

I can't really disagree with what you are saying, as it is their company, and their rules. Just pointing out the "mystique" with the PCGS coins. If they did allow NGC coins, they would lose all that "crossover" money. Like you said, "If you want a coin, you want a coin". That's why the whole "crossover" thing can only be explained by the "PCGS only" Registry thing. The COIN never changes, just the PLASTIC around it. It's all about the REGISTRY. That's why I commented that NGC seems more geared toward the hobby...
  • Options
    This sticker thing is getting way out of hand. I appreciate CAC thinking there was a need for it for those to lazy to study grading, but now copy cats are coming out of the woodwork to try and make a buck on their idea and investment. Quite frankly, I am perfectly satisfied with the product that is provided by the major TPG's, and do not need, want, or willing to pay for anything else.
  • Options

<< <i>This sticker thing is getting way out of hand. I appreciate CAC thinking there was a need for it for those to lazy to study grading, but now copy cats are coming out of the woodwork to try and make a buck on their idea. Quite frankly, I am perfectly satisfied with the product that is provided by the major TPG's, and do not need, want, or willing to pay for anything else. >>

I think they should all merge and rename themselves CRAP

• Options
    " I think they should all merge and rename themselves CRAP "

Isn't that name already taken by the "Certified Registry Acceptance Corporation" ?
  • Options

<< <i>" I think they should all merge and rename themselves CRAP "

Isn't that name already taken by the "Certified Registry Acceptance Corporation" ? >>

hehehe

• Options
    I propose that "Date-sensitive USDA Meat/Beer Stickers" (DUMBs) be added to slabs to ensure that we are all being fresh! Especially Stewart image
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who needs the stink'n stickers anyway... image