Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

My results in the half point review process...!

OK, I was skeptical at the bump process but took the plunge about a month ago. I divided my likley candidates in PSA 8 into 4 submissions of 8, 8, 7 & 4. I got 11 half point bumps out of the first 3 submissions (23 cards). The last submission of 4 was for cards valued over $500. Much to my amazement I got a full point bump to PSA 9 for card #1 Al Attles! So I am thumbs up for the process now!

My observation on the process is that centering is important as are 4 sharp corners. The cards that received the bumps really deserved it. I probably made a big mistake several years ago when I sent over 100 of these cards I bought as a kid in only 3 submissions.. $5 specials I think. Doing so puts too many cards at the mercy of a single grader who may be having a bad day etc. When sending in cards for review, you have to take a hard look at the card and ask yourself if it is really a cut above the averarge PSA 8. If you honestly think it is, then you have a good shot at a nice percentage.

Finally, a rough cut card is a good thing! It is a badge of honor in this era of hi-tech trimming and doctoring. I think the best cards of all for getting a bump are well centered and at least slightly rough cut, as was Attles.

Reggie
Completed 12 bb & fb sets during 1956-61 from nickel packs...

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you did your homework.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    Good Job with that Reggie.......
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the reviews. What were the other cards that got bumped? Any Mantle, Mays or aaron.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Finally, a rough cut card is a good thing! It is a badge of honor in this era of hi-tech trimming and doctoring. I think the best cards of all for getting a bump are well centered and at least slightly rough cut, as was Attles.

Reggie >>

Agreed about the rough cut, I submitted this one with a minimal amount of hope for the bump as I thought the right edge would prevent it. Needless to say I was suprised and pleased- this card is the highest graded example now!

• Options
    That's a beautiful card, Perkdog! ..Exactly my idea of a perfect bump candidate. My Attles was even more rough cut by the way.

Mickey, all my bumps were from the '61-'62 Fleer basketball set. I seriously considered trying to bump a '57 Mantle up from PSA 6, but ultimately decided it was properly graded at 6. Same decision with a '61 Mantle in PSA 7 that was well centered and sharp, but had a slight vertical print line down through his shoulder. It didn't deserve the bump. I have a lot of PSA 8 commons from '59 thru '62 that would bump but probably aren't worth the expense (money & time) to submit right now. The thing about the '61-'62 Fleer is that when I bought 'em I didn't really like 'em that much so they just went into a cigar box. There were no stats to read on the back and pretty boring to me at the time. They didn't get handled much a stayed in great shape.
    Completed 12 bb & fb sets during 1956-61 from nickel packs...