Home Sports Talk

Sometimes I wish the Pirates would get contracted

MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
After reading some stuff this weekend it is just pointless they even play this year. Here are some sad details......

1. Kevin McClatchy sold out his share to another Media mogule that has "0" interest in making the team successful and won't "lose" money to try. I love the fact that 3 years ago Mark Cuban inquired about the team and it wasn't for sale, yeah right they just didn't want him to buy a team. MLB must hate Pittsburgh.

2. When McClatchy's group bought the team (he is a native Californian) the real goal was to make money. He disclosed the team was bought for 90 million and is now worth 275 million. Prety nice return.

3. The guy gets a stadium built but now it sits half empty due to the crappy product and it was built largely with public money. He and the other owners want to make McClatchy like some kind of hero for saving the team, but it was all about the money, he couldn't care less about Pittsburgh. If he didn't get his stadium he would move them to OKC or St. Petersburgh or wherever a town would build him one and threatened to do so.

4. If that don't make you mad, look at their plans for this season. Makes you want to puke

“There are still a couple of guys out there who might not have had a great 2008 but are still major league-caliber players,” general manager Neal Huntington said. “We’re probably in the market now for a guy ready to have a bounce-back kind of season.”

Translation: We don't have the money to get a real MLB player, we will go after a guy that was terrible in 2008 (Craig Monroe) and hope he can regain old form (he won't Matt Morris anyone?) and then try and trade him for prospects later if he does play well.

I would rather have my memories then be the laughingstock right now. There is 0 hope, none. The owners won't spend any money and our minor league system is TERRIBLE. Andrew McCutchen is supposed to be our next best player WTF!!!! He can't even figure out how to run the bases and how far off 2nd base he should stand. Steve Pearce has terrible plate discipline. So does Moss. Tabata can't help for at least 2 more years so we are at least 5 years away from being .500. Which means we will be the losingest franchise ever by that time.

We can't even sign our draft picks w/o going through a media embarrsement (Alvarez being signed past midnight and holding out for more money).

We are now the Detroit Lions of the MLB. Maybe if we go 0-162 we will get sent down to AAA.

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

Comments

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I still remember that the Pirates wasted the #1 pick in the 2002 draft by picking up Bryan Bullington, who their scouts said had the potential to be an average #4 or #5 starter. !?!?!?!? They also said that Bullington was their pick because they figured he wouldn't say "no" to them.

Wow, talk about lowered expectations.

Think they'd sign me? I'm 32, I last played organized baseball when I was in high school, but I can still hit 75-80 mph on the pitch-speed booth at the local fair. Not much location though, but I can work on it. I once stole 7 bases in one game, and had the ability to make routene catchs in the outfield look like a Sportscenter highlights (e.g. falling on my back to catch a pop-fly, stopping a slow grounder with my groin, etc). I also hit a few monsterous foul balls during that era as well. I once "picked a ball out of the dirt" with my face during practice at 1st base. Got blood everywhere. Folks pay to see that kind of stuff though.

Pitching, speed, defense, power, and durability. My 5 tools. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • It is truly a sad situation when the people in charge of a sports team just don't care. If they don't care, why should the fans? This is example #1 of why every time people start talking about a salary cap, I say, "Only if it comes with a salary floor." I wonder what former Pittsburgh greats like Stargell, Clemente, & Wagner would say if they were alive to witness this disgrace.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Who needs contraction? They should be relegated to the minors like in English football. Do the same with Kansas City. We can promote Toledo and Pawtucket in their places. Can you imagine if they were to do that like they do in soccer? I guarantee you the Pirates would feel like their games in late September mattered!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I know it is sad, growing up the Bucs were a team I rooted for. I remember as a kid in 1966 knowing the lineup and announcing
    the names as we played 'against the wall' Most guys were the Yanks I was always the Pirates or in some cases the Cubs.

If I felt really down I'd be the Mets. Now batting Jose Pagan, Pagan

Steve
    Good for you.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I will go out on a limb here and say unequivocally that no team, in any of the four major sports (MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL) will ever be contracted. There are simply too many lives, too many dollars at stake for that to happen.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    If someone could tell me what or who has this problem with Cuban ending up owning a MLB team... is it the other owners who are afraid to get someone who wants to win owning a competing franchise?
    JOhn
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Digicat - that's pretty funny!

Ahmanfan - right now I think the holdup with Cuban buying a franchise is the spectre of him going to jail for insider trading unless that whole mess has been cleared up and I missed it.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    This was before the Cuban insider trading issue but I can see it being an issue today. I think it is 100% an old boys club and Cuban doesn't play by their rules.

They don't want owners who would be smart enough to bend their own systems to his advantage and call them out when they are wrong. He wouldn't in any way go along with their plan if it meant he wouldn't gain. To me he would at least make the Pirates fun to watch again.

No they wont contract them but if they fail at this level for 2 to 3 more years, the park will be so empty that either MLB will step in to the owner to do something about it or else force the new owners to sell. Thank about it, they are trying to force all small market teams into building new stadiums as a way to compete. Usually through public funds. If the Pirates fail at this level with arguably one of the best parks in the league then why would a team like Florida even try. Pittsburgh is one of the original teams for god sakes. So maybe some hope remains.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
    Oh I have posted about how bad our draft picks have been. Problem with the Pirates is not only do they draft poorly (looked for cheap not good young players) but how quickly they give up on them or write them off.

Some examples, Oliver Perez. Great one season, mediocre one season and awful one season. They label him a headcase unwilling to listen, so they ship him off for admittedly a pretty good player in Nady, but I would rather have a good Perez than a good Nady.

Bryan Bullington, never got a real shot in Pittsburgh, and even last year when they were running out the worst pitcher (based on ERA and IP) ever to pitch more than 50 innings in MLB history, wouldn't let him pitch and released him instead. He was called up and they wouldn't even let him off the bench for mop up duty. He ends up pitching for Cleveland and starts 2 games with a 4.91 ERA and a 1.16 WHIP, which if he was on the Pirates he would of qualified for the #2 starter role.

Tom Gorzellany- after a great 07 year and good 06 he complains about pain in his arm. Instead of shelving him on a team going nowhere, they question his manhood, and then sent him to single A as punishment for saying he wanted his own doctors to examine him. He will be traded I am sure at some point due to his "surley" attitude.
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This was before the Cuban insider trading issue but I can see it being an issue today. I think it is 100% an old boys club and Cuban doesn't play by their rules.

They don't want owners who would be smart enough to bend their own systems to his advantage and call them out when they are wrong. He wouldn't in any way go along with their plan if it meant he wouldn't gain. To me he would at least make the Pirates fun to watch again.

>>

The only people getting screwed over are the loyal fans. That burns my butt. Baseball would rock if they could get a couple things straightened out to level the playing field.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>The only people getting screwed over are the loyal fans. That burns my butt. Baseball would rock if they could get a couple things straightened out to level the playing field. >>

John,

I agree with you. There are too many owners out there who just don't give a damn about the product they put on the field. Yes, I agree they must make money, but things should be a LOT different than than are right now.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    I agree it's 100% owners fault. The owner of the Pirates demanded that Aramis Rameriz be traded and since that time the Pirates have had the worst record in MLB. They traded and AS at a tough position for basically zip. It was so lopsided it has to be up there with worst trades in BB history. He was already signed long term to a good (cheap) contract but not cheap enough for the idiots in Pittsburgh.

• << <i>I agree it's 100% owners fault. The owner of the Pirates demanded that Aramis Rameriz be traded and since that time the Pirates have had the worst record in MLB. They traded and AS at a tough position for basically zip. It was so lopsided it has to be up there with worst trades in BB history. He was already signed long term to a good (cheap) contract but not cheap enough for the idiots in Pittsburgh. >>

These are the only trades/moves that the Cubs were able to do...because their brain trust has never been good enough, or were too cheap, to build a team without a gift falling into their lap.

I can't imagine being a Pirates fan, or a Royals fan. But there is always hope, because the Devil Rays were on par with those teams as well.
    Wow awesome new news that we are going after Pedro Martinez, wow aren't we desperate. Now if that wasn't bad enough check out the awesomeness of our new #1 draft pick, that used a loophole in his contract signing to squeeze more money out of the Pirates.

Fat Boy

Only the Pirates could be this sad.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see the Royals got a couple mentions.
    But they're on the upswing. I really believe before Dayton Moore took the GM job for KC he probably asked for a financial committment from Glass the owner.
    After all, KC's last two number one draft picks were both Boras clients, and against conventional wisdom the Royals were able to sign both, Moustakas and Hosmer.
    Not to mention getting a top pitcher in last years draft and signing him after several teams passed on him saying he was unsignable.
    Plus several notable free agent signings over the last three years.
    And players such as Gordon, Butler, Hochevar, etc. haven't reached their potential yet, so 2009 looks to be a great year.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    Pirates definately suck more than the Royals do right now.
    Wow I am surprised we actually signed someone good long term but is this Jason Kendall all over again? I mean the guy only had 1 good year under his belt. It's only for 3 years so it won't paralyze them if he goes south but it's a risk

Pirates Sign McClouth
    With the market so depressed for free agents (until they change the rule about Type A free agents) I was kinda hoping we would sign one more MLB caliber player that isn't related to the LaRoche family.

I think to win 81 games this year McClouth will have to hit 80 HRs, steal 200 bases and bat .450.

You're probably right about that. My gut tells me that McLouth will fall just a bit short of hitting those numbers though so it looks like another losing season in Pittsburgh.

At least you've got the Steelers.
    I just want a real AS for our team, he is the only thing we have so far. Our pitching might come around this year but it's iffy when you have to depend on rebound years for 4/5 of your starters.
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    They just had a feature on abc news about 2 pitchers the Pirates signed who grew up in India and never played baseball before. The Pirates are always ahead of the rest of the league. Back in the early 70s they were the first team to have an all-nonwhite lineup and that worked out pretty well.
  • Joe Kerrigan is the first competent pitching coach that they've had in years so hopefully he can help straighten out the staff.
    Just read that Gorzelanny lost 25 lbs and is in his best shape so we will see. I will scream if they cut or trade him and he ends up a winner like Perez.
    Just because you hoped otherwise, Gorzelanny will be "Gonezelanny" by August 1st.
  • Gorzelanny is not that great anyways. His upside is back of the end rotation starter. Ian Snell is the guy that really needs to bounce back. He has front of the rotation type stuff.

and the mclouth signing was not as bad the kendall contract. Less years and definitely less money.
  • Mclouth is a good signing; the only real ace potential is Snell.
    Pirates believe Maholm is the stud pitcher. He is the #1 going in this season. Snell really quite pitching inside and walked a ton of people. He needs his confidence back if he is to be a #1 again. Gorzo may not even make the rotation out of spring trainng.