Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Looking for some advice - 1961 Topps Baseball

Hello everyone!

I have been reading these boards for a very long time; I occasionally contribute, but not very much. I have learned tons of information about the sports collecting hobby from everyone here and I thank you all for that.

Now it is time to ask for a little advice. I have decided to sell the first set I completed in graded form, my 1961 Topps Baseball set. It took me a few years and I loved every moment of putting it together. I did it all, I traded, purchased from ebay and the boards and I even submitted many of the cards myself. It really was a great way to enjoy this hobby and the cards.

I am going to sell this set so I can pursue other collecting interests. I have a raw set so I can still enjoy the cards, but I would like to build another set and need the money and space to do it. So, it is time to move on.

Some of the things I am pondering....

1.) Should I try and sell as a complete set? Would I achieve a good value for the set?
2.) Should I break it up? If Yes,
Sell on Ebay individually?
Use auction or fixed price listings?
Should I price at or near VCP averages?
Should I list them all at one time, 100 each day, or spread it out over weeks?
3.) Is this just the wrong time to be selling a large set like this?

My set is currently ranked 28th and has a rating of about 7.342. All cards are 7's & 8's with a few 9's, no qualifiers and all were purchased or graded prior to the advent of the half point system. None have been sent for review.

Thanks for any advice,
Dave

My 1961 Topps Baseball Set

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

Comments

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I'm contemplating breaking up my '63 set in condition similar to yours. I'll be planning on selling over time and will set prices.

I won't rely on VPC averages because in many cases I'd rather own the cards vs. selling at Ebay bargain prices.
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    sagard,

I totally agree with you. I'm not looking for a fire sale, I don't need to sell, I'm just wanting a new project. If the market is not right then I can wait a year or so. Ebay can be good for the short prints and stars but no so great for the commons and semi stars.

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Runner,

I would say that breaking up the set will yield a higher return. I just had my 1968 set (ranked between 12 and 25 on The Registry) listed with Mastro over the summer and was VERY DISAPPOINTED with the sales price. I believe I would have done a lot better breaking it up and selling them myself.

As far as the economy, the tough low pop cards would probably sell at good prices now, but the commons and readily available stars would not. JMO
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.