Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Lowball collectors (and others)......................Your opinion is needed

As is, I could never understand the fascination with PO-01 coins until I actually handled one, now I fully understand and am fast becoming a fan of these numismatic treasures!

Would like to get some opinions from the lowball community on this one I listed earlier on the BST. I just love this coin!

What say you ............................................

(Note: The pics are not that great but should suffice)
Rod

Comments

• Options
    Heavily worn Barbers are extremely common. The coins that are truly desired by lowball collectors are silver dollars, gold, and moderns.

neat coin though.
  • Options

Thanks goldeneye,

Believe me I'm no lowballer and the whole thing is quite new to me (of interest anyway). Indeed the PO barbers are a dime a dozen but this particular one caught my eye because of the extreme smoothness of the surfaces and the way that the major devices are still visible. Since I'm not a collector of these I thought it would be more appreciated by a true lowball collector............................................

Speaking of barbers, that toner you have listed on the bay is killer image
    Rod
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks goldeneye,

Believe me I'm no lowballer and the whole thing is quite new to me (of interest anyway). Indeed the PO barbers are a dime a dozen but this particular one caught my eye because of the extreme smoothness of the surfaces and the way that the major devices are still visible. Since I'm not a collector of these I thought it would be more appreciated by a true lowball collector............................................

Speaking of barbers, that toner you have listed on the bay is killer image >>

While I agree that heavily worn Barbers are extremely common, the coin posted by NHC looks to me to be an exceptionally nice looking example. In just going through a bag of a few hundred dollars face in junk Barbers I wouldn't expect to find too may examples as PQ for the low grade as the example posted. Not sure if it's worth much more than junk value (probably 12x-15x face for a Barber I'd guess right now), but it might be worth a bit more to someone into the lowballs... Good luck and thanks for posting image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Speaking of barbers, that toner you have listed on the bay is killer image >>

I'll second that! Makes me start thinking about my old Dansco 7070 type set again.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a slam-dunk PO01, but a strong possibility.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>Not a slam-dunk PO01, but a strong possibility. >>

I was kinda thinking the same (hence the ? in the post). The device detail was a bit stronger as compared to some graded PO-01's
    I have seen........................................

Rod
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Very high probability, VERY high that it would not come back PO01. If it were me, I'd save my money and look for a more worn coin. Took me a few tries to make my first PO01 Barber quarter and trust me, seeling a FR02 is generally not very profitable.
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    If it were to certify as a FR02, what if CAC certified it as weak for the grade, almost a PO01?
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.