Home Metal Detecting

I know where all of the nickels are!!!

They are merely not being picked up by the detectors. On the "coin setting" of my detector, a nickel would not make a beep, even if it were lying on top of the ground. I would have to turn the setting half way down, just to get the nickel to sound like trash. I recommend that everybody do a "nickel test" to see where their detector will pick up nickels.
imageimageimage

Comments

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding nickels has always been a kind of lost cause for me.With my White's back in the '70's I tended to ignore "non-silver" sounds so I didn't find many nickels in those days. The "silver rush" was on,if you will. Time spent digging a nickel (which are always an even brown color after spending time in the ground) was time taken away from finding silver.

Could I have missed some small gold? I'll never know. I do know that only one detectorist that i visited with in Denver's City Park ever claimed to have found a gold piece. He showed me an 1867 S $5 gold that he claimed he found in the park and at first thought it was a nickel.

These days when using my Landstar in the discriminate mode, the nickels will register between "iron/foil" and "pulltab" so again i tend to ignore these low end sounds. Gold coins and rings will register in this area as well. I do dig some of these low sounds but am not patient enough to dig all of them.

I've considered trying to "notch out" ferrous metal on my Landstar but am concerned that i might lose my potential to find gold if i do this.Doesn't seem to be worth the risk to me since one find of even a small gold ring will compensate for not finding many,many nickels. I'm most likely to find nickels with my Landstar when it's in "all-metal" mode especially if the ground lends itself to probing the target.

I guess it comes down to how important it is to the individual to be finding nickels.Along with Jeffersons,I found a number of Liberty and Buffalo Nickels in the '70's.Even found a Shield Nickel (1883).The number of nickels i found paled,however, to the number of silver coins,some quite valuable, i found in those days.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyway, i too know where the nickels are. They are still in the ground that i've hunted,maybe as many as 75-80 %.image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• What kind of detector do you use? The only problem I've had picking up nickels with my older White's or Garrett Ace 250 is them sounding like pop tops and/or foil, but that seems to be the norm. It's hard to imagine a detector not even picking them up.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • I'm using an older white's and it doesn't pick them up on the coin setting, and it'll sound more or less like trash on the ring setting. When you're, say, underneath the boardwalk when you're literally walking on trash, you will want to weed that trash out by using the coin setting or higher...but that'll overpass all nickels.
    imageimageimage
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crock of Coins always finds a bunch of Nickels.
  • You really need to adjust that detector to get those nickels....some great ones are there waiting to be found...

• those are awesome finds! I've come to the conclusion that I will need to adjust the detector to find them nickels. I've found 11 so far this month...but that's measly compared to the 34 quarters I've found so far this month including 11 in one hole. But I did find a five cent piece from 1941 today...so that's cool. I do believe that it's my oldest nickel found so far.
    imageimageimage

• << <i> I do dig some of these low sounds but am not patient enough to dig all of them. >>

I am the same way, and I feel that I may have missed something good.
    imageimageimage

• << <i>Crock of Coins always finds a bunch of Nickels. >>

Thank You!
    You must be able to take what goes with Nickels---PULL TABS---Alum. slaw---and FOIL :-(
    OH...AND--- GOLD

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    There have been several times where I was detecting a tot lot and just about all I found were nickels. I assume that I am following a detectorist that had their machine set too discriminate too high.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 3 sites where I can almost always find nickels. Two are schools and one is around the fence at a swimming pool. Why there are so many there and I can't seem to find them anywhere else is a mystery to me.