Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Basic Set vs. Basic & Collector Issues Set

Can someone explain the difference between the cards in the "basic set" and the cards in the "basic and collector issues set." I am considering collecting the "basic and collector issue" sets for certain players but want clarity as to where regional, food issues, minor league, to mail in fit into these sets. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Can someone explain the difference between the cards in the "basic set" and the cards in the "basic and collector issues set." I am considering collecting the "basic and collector issue" sets for certain players but want clarity as to where regional, food issues, minor league, to mail in fit into these sets. thanks in advance. >>

Pretty much everything that is not an insert fits into the Basic & Collector Sets, while the Basic is suppose to be just the major sets.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Something like what he said. I still think the Basic & Collector's sets includes too much. I think there should only be a Basic set and a Master set (and Basic and Master Topps sets for some players).
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    I just had this conversation with PSA. PSA has a definition of "Basic" as basic issue cards. The compostition of the Basic set is described in the Set Registry area of the site. The basic with Collectors includes all the funky cards you can come up with. In my opinion it should be a basic and the a master. OPC is not included in the basic. I have an issue with that but won't fight it. I actually tried to create an OPC set for Bert Blyleven but was told it could not happen based on their criteria and that they would be listed under the basic/collectors and master sets.
  • Options
    ok what is the definition of a collector issue?

Basic & Collector Issues Player Sets:
    These sets, for modern players (post-1971), include all cards defined as a "Main Set" cards (promos, prototypes and test sets excluded), but do not include cards from Parallel Sets, Insert Sets, or Parallel/Inserts Sets. Special cards and league leader cards are not included. For a list of possible inclusions into the Basic & Collector Issues set, please email setregistry@collectors.com.

So does that mean pretty anything goes except parallel cards, inserts, and special cards inside basic sets? why are food issue , regional issue or minor league cards considered a "Main Set" ? Anyone know?

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    OPC most definately should not be part of any players basic set as they were not distributed to the majority of the card buying public in the US.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you about OPC, but why is Leaf allowed? Isn't Leaf the Canadian version of Donruss, like OPC is the Canadian version of Topps?
  • Options
    That is getting more into the modern era and those registry sets are jacked up beyond belief for most players.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    OK can someone explain collector choice not being in the basic? is it because there are parallel cards of that basic cards such as the silver and gold signatures? Also why is Bowman or Bowman's Best not in the basic card sets for modern era players. thanks
  • Options
    There isn't a whole lot you can do to get the registry sets to reflect what all of the collectors want anyways. A vote was taken on what should and shouldn't be added to the Basic sets and if you didn't agree with the outcome, you were (and continue to be) SOL. I can understand but only partially agree with the OPC/Leaf exclusion/inclusion. Since I collect Kirby Puckett, I will explain my position according to his collection years of 1985-1996. For 1985 thru 1988, Donruss and Leaf used the same image. But the image on the 1990 thru 1996 Donruss and Leaf cards are different, so they were added to the set (actually, all of the Leaf cards were added to the set). For 1985 thru 1992, Topps and OPC used the same image. But the image on the 1993 and 1994 OPC cards are different from the Topps cards. Why not include those? I am not going to buy in to the "were not distributed to the majority of the card buying public in the US" angle because suppose you were living in Canada, the Topps and Donruss issues (to my knowledge) were not distributed to the majority of the card buying public in Canada either. Perhaps for the years that Topps/OPC and Donruss/Leaf had identical images you could put in one or the other to fill that slot in the set. It just doesn't make sense to me to include one (Leaf) but not the other (OPC), but that is how the majority of the voters voted.
  • Options
    You have to look at production numbers on sets from the 60s and 70s were OPC's runs were very scarce compared to Topps and not distributed to the majority of the card collecting public.

I don't care about 80's OPC cards and if collectors want them in their sets fine but the up until around 1977 OPC cards were much tougher to find then their Topps counterparts and making them a "BASIC" card would be wrong.
  • Options
    The "Basic & Collector Issues Sets" were originally the basic sets but they got screwed up because they started to allow oddball issues to get put into them. Instead of fixing the sets, they changed them into "Basic & Collector Issues Sets" and created new basic sets. I think they should get rid of the "Basic & Collector Issues Sets" sets, they are really pointless and don't reflect they way collectors actually collect.

As for the 1985-88 Leaf cards. They should absolutely not be in the basic sets! They are completely different from the 1990-present Leaf cards. Just because the have the same name does not mean they are the same!
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    some might not realize, but boxes of leaf were included with some cases of donruss in mid 80's, so they were only issued in canada. opc from my understanding was only issued in canada. but for hockey i think they should be allowed and might be. there were polls taken for each sport.

the problem is that the people that run the set registry really dont know much about cards. that said they kinda got hoodwinked by people requesting strange cards to be added to the old basic sets for modern players. in their mind the easiest why to deal with this was a poll for modern players. i can see why. if someone wants to work on a truely basic and collectors set of a modern player...do you want cards that are only available in a $100 pack of two or four cards/pack being included?? Unfortunately other widely available cards may have been left out. That said...collect what you like not what the registry says. Its still your hobby. You can always put the other cards in either a master set or collectors showcase set.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    can someone critique my definition of basic and collector issues?

Exclusions:
    1) Cards that have ratio explained on the pack (example 1:2 ; 1:8 packs and so forth)
    If one type of its card cannot be pulled in a pack then its excluded. this eliminates parallels, inserts, one of one, autograph, game used cards
    2) Dealer Promo Samples and National Convention Promos , Regional Show Promo Cards
    3) Subset within a Set (example, All-Star, League Leaders, Milestone , Highlisghts) So only one card from any given player can be listed for the Registry Set. You cant have a basic set and an all-star card of Pujols from the same Topps set on the Registry Set.
    4) Minor League and High School Cards (any card from a player wearing a minor league uniform or high school uniform or plain clothes (ex. bowman 92) cannot be included.
    5) Food issues from regional brands.

Inclusions
    1) Regular card from a nationally distributed card in packs.
    2) Regular card from update sets as long as cards are sequentially numbered with the Regular set from that year. However only one card per player is allowed. So if Pujol is in the 1993 Topps set and in the 1993 Topps Update set you can only count the earliest distributed card from that set. In this case the 1993 regular Topps card.
    3) Food issues that are distributed from national brands. If you can recognize the brand at the super market. (Pepsi, Nestles, Mother's Cookies, Cereal Cards like Post Cereals)
    3) Only one card for any given box. I notice some boxes has multiple cards of superstars in the regular sets. Correct me if I wrong. Bowman Best comes to mind.