Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

OFEC

Where is the best list to go by for an OFEC collection?

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don's World Coin Gallery is a handy site, as comprehensive as anything you're likely to find online for free.

You could probably use the country listings there. It would beat shuffling though the table of contents in Krause, and while the photography on the site is not fantastic, it's a heck of a lot better than the grainy B&W photos in Krause, when you want to see what a particular type looks like.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Thanks Rob .

The Lord always knows the answer . LOL
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing you have to watch with Don's list, it also includes quite a few "fantasy" countries, such as Araucania & Patagonia, the Empire of Atlantium, Hutt River Province, Isle of Wight, etc.

These countries do not exist, and/or are unrecognised by the international community. Their "coins" are considered unofficial fantasy issues, and aren't listed in the regular Krause catalogues; Krause makes a special catalogue, "Unofficial World Coins", to list them. It's entirely up to you if you want to keep them on your OFEC list, but be aware that coins from such countries are not considered to be "real coins".
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • I give up. What is OFEC?
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    One from every country. -Dan
  • Sapyex..........Maybe I am way off base, but I recognise Isle of Wite coins as a OFEC coin. The same as I do from Scotland or Ireland.

Technically I think your are correct, but I would never leave them out of my OFEC collection.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only thing you have to watch with Don's list, it also includes quite a few "fantasy" countries, such as Araucania & Patagonia, the Empire of Atlantium, Hutt River Province, Isle of Wight, etc.

These countries do not exist, and/or are unrecognised by the international community. Their "coins" are considered unofficial fantasy issues, and aren't listed in the regular Krause catalogues; Krause makes a special catalogue, "Unofficial World Coins", to list them. It's entirely up to you if you want to keep them on your OFEC list, but be aware that coins from such countries are not considered to be "real coins". >>

Actually, I believe the title is "Unusual World Coins: Companion Volume to Standard Catalog of World Coins Series."

While there are fantasy countries and fantasy strikes listed, there are also things that USED to be in Krause, like the Swiss Shooting Thalers.

It makes for interesting reading. Not essential, but it's cheap (compared to the other Krause volumes).
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, I believe the title is "Unusual World Coins... >>

I meant to say that. image
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)