Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Global Authentication - what impact if any?

Since the much ballyhooed shake up at PSA a short while ago, I've heard mixed reviews on what the new Global Authentication company will do in the marketplace. I'd like to get others thoughts, conerns, guffaws, musings or whatever.

So what do you guys think?
Frank Bakka
Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
outerbankyank on eBay!

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I was very surprised to see so many "PSA heavyweights" listed as dealers and/or mentors. I do not think that there is any accurate way to predict, but it will be very interesting to see nonetheless.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see for vintage as the vast majority of the high grade cards have already been slabbed and graded by PSA. I cannot believe that Andy Madec or Triple SSS is going to be taking their PSA 8's and 9's and re-slabbing them as GAI. I feel that the same will be true of collectors as well.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Just out of curiousity... Do they have a website? I haven't been able to find anything on line about them.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Frank, see the Sports board for the GAI website, I don't have the link handy. I have no problem with GAI, they have some good folks on their team. I think they will be another viable option for grading and provide PSA some competition. I think the value of both services will be equal over time.

Sky
    "Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

"Give me a reason to fly, and I'll be there"
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Got it - thanks Sky.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Frank> At the moment I dont really give GAI a second thought. I give those guys credit for what they started at PSA, but my kudo's end there. I dealt with them during the Rocci era and the customer service was abysmal, the company was non responsive to collector needs, the lead times were endless, and it took the fun right out of collecting graded product.
    The recent turn around has been nothing short of miraculous and I think that GAI would have to go a long way now to overcome the customer loyalty which is building at the "new" post Rocci PSA. You just gotta love the whole set registry thing, the lower prices, the customer service and those consistent and shorter (most times ahead of schedule) turnaround times. I'm now locked in to PSA and I'm sure others feel the same.
    RayB69 Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    I don't think there is going to be a very serious impact. Right now, all people are going to give them is a few "cooled down" star cards, that are going to be in the kind of condition that might benefit more from being in PSA holder. Maybe you give them some kind of easy star card that you can't sell at 100% of retail like a 68 Ryan, 56 Mantle, 60's Mantle. After all, nobody in the world has a GAI 56 Mantle yet. So they slide one in, tell you how great it is, and then hope they can make the same or more money as if it was in a PSA holder. Another thing to keep an eye on is if the dealers wanting to sell the stuff to you, are willing to buy the same kind of cards from you. Without any know market for it, it's going to be tough. Before someone can start putting a collection together, somebody needs to be willing to send in PSA quality cards. I don't know where these cards will be coming from, and who will be absorbing the initial losses. You need dealers, you need cards, you need collectors, you need things changing hands in both directions, and someone needs to be making money.
  • Options
    It seems like a real tough situation for new card graders. If they grade cards easier or are looser in their grading then collectors won't respect them and the values won't be there and if they are tougher on cards than PSA then the dealers won't send cards to them in fear of a lesser grade and losing value. When it comes to vintage grading you spell monopoly - PSA. I don't see how anybody else has a chance. They are the standard.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football