Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

can a bodybagged coin be fixed by being a pocket piece

say if a gold coin has minor cleaning or polishing and got bodybagged could six months in the pocket help it enough to get graded?

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

Comments

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Minor cleaning seems more likely to be counteracted than a polishing.

In general though, anything's possible. I've seen everything from immediately resubmitting as a "cure" for a prior bodybag (with the as hoped for results - i.e. slabbed) on one end of the spectrum to keeping a coin in a paper bag with matches for several years (as just one example) on the other end of the spectrum.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Maybe, but likely would take much longer than 6 months! And, you have to ask yourself what its worth as a circulated piece vs a higher grade but cleaned piece. Turn it into a PCGS slabbed Po01, and let talk!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a good chance the wear from being in with other change will remove the indication of cleaning, however, the grade will most likely go down. Let's say the coin was a MS63 cleaned. When your done it would probably be AU and possibly even XF. Is it worth the reduction in grade?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Genuine MS software...

I wondered about that. I have a Carson City Morgan that I suspect has been cleaned, and I'm mulling whether it's better to send it in and get it as a "genuine" or try to circulate out that polishing. It's already a little circulated, so I won't be giving up any MS60-something grading.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    Remember that a lot of AU coins were cleaned in order to disguise the fact that they are AU. These would be the candidates for the pocket. Just knock them down to AU50 or ChXF and get most signs of the cleaning gone.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    won't get bb'd now - genuine slab

in all seriousness, it depends on the severity of the problem

I had a set I bought that had polished Barber halves in good

I carried in pocket for months

finally through in sand/gravel in tumbler

was crap when started and was still crap when I ended (but the polish was gone)