Home Metal Detecting

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: JANUARY 2009 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best US Coin/Non-US Coin/Jewelry/R

Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for the six Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The six monthly "Quality" award categories are:

Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find
Best Expedition Photo

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member (except in the Photo category). If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

BEST U.S. COIN/TOKEN: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item. Round medals without loops or mount attachments on them may be considered "tokens" and entered into this category. If they have loops for suspension, they should go into the Relic category (or Jewelry, if they are gold or silver).

BEST NON-US COIN/TOKEN: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US-minted coins, obviously.

BEST JEWELRY ITEM: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though). Military decorations can count as jewelry if they are gold or silver.

BEST RELIC/OTHER: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

BEST "WILD CARD" ITEM: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.

BEST EXPEDITION PHOTO: this category is for the best photograph taken on an outing, be it of people, places, finds, wildlife, etc. Like the "Wild Card" category above, you don't even have to own a metal detector for this one- just a camera! Pictures should be vaguely related to treasure hunting or expeditions/outings of some kind, though. Limit three self nominations per member each month. (You may have more than three entries if somebody else nominates other pictures of yours, though.) Suggested photo size is somewhere around 640x480 if possible, though 800x600 is OK. Photos over 800 pixels wide or tall will be disqualified, at least until they've been suitably downsized (and that is the responsibility of the author, not the pollster). Photos should be given a short title. For example: "Turkeys In The Field, by ASUTodd". (Additional backstory about "who-what-where-why-when" is nice, too, but optional.)
imageimageimage

Comments

• For Best Jewelry Find, Speer34's 22K gold earring with 20 stones.

Also for Best Jewelry Find, Speer34's 1963 Washington Quarter Dollar coin ring.

imageimageimage
  • is january over?
  • No, why do you ask?
    imageimageimage
  • That earring is GREAT!
    Digging trash and treasure since 1977
  • For best coin, I'd like to submit my 1883 Indian head cent found on January 1st.
    imageimage

For best relic, I'd like to submit my military buttons found on January 24th. These were found at the same location that the Indian head cent came from. They were found hooked together on a small key ring.
    imageimage

For best expedition photo, I'd like to submit my photo of the 1800s clapboard house around which I have been making my finds.

There have been a lot of nice finds this month despite the cold that has plagued the eastern half of the country. Kudos to all of those who managed to get out and make nice finds. image
    Always on the lookout for a silver opportunity.
    imageimage
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    I know it is early, but that '83 IHP is looking pretty good to me for best US coin! I love the green color, your pic is much better looking than the pics I captured with my pics for last months finds. Unless some old silver comes along you have my vote... Nice find!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, i too vote for bamacoinshooter's 1883 Indian Cent for best US Coin for December.

Finding one of these (with my eyes) in South Dakota garden dirt long ago is what got me started as a coin collector.

Great detector find!

I might still vote for this coin for best US for JANUARY then.I hereby withdraw my vote for bamacoinshooter's 1883 cent for best US coin for DECEMBER

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Thanks, I actually found this on New Year's Day, just so there's no confusion as to when it was found. It was definitely a nice surprise, since this is my first IHC and my first coin from the 1800s. I actually have some photos of the old house that I was hunting around, but I probably won't get around to loading them until the weekend. I've been detecting this site every winter for the past three years, and the only previous coin that I had ever found there was a 1926 wheatie. The IHC was actually found some distance away from the home in a clearing. The house itself is surrounded by trees, briers and vines and is very difficult to detect around. The area around it is strewn with broken pieces of dishes, jars and bottles along with pieces of the tin roof, rocks from the walkway, and various other things. I'd imagine there's more to be found there, but whatever is there is hiding well, I'm sure. I actually went back the next day and dug a wheat cent from the 1910s. The only part of the date I can see is "191" due to corrosion. Hey, you guys could still find a better coin since the month is pretty young. I've seen some amazing things on this forum. image
    imageimage
  • I'd like to put this Extra Fine 1915 D wheat cent in the running for best coin. It's rarer than I originally thought and list for $28 on the PCGS.com site. Of course that's without the green corrosion.
    el Tesoro Cazador

• i hav'nt entered a jewelry item in a long time. here's my 1920's diamond earring:

• << <i>i hav'nt entered a jewelry item in a long time. here's my 1920's diamond earring:
    image >>

Man you sure that's not a pulltab???imageimage

HH,Tom
  • ya i guess it does look like one does'nt it. the broad flat area had a blue stone glued to it.
  • I guess I'll put my 1798 Large cent in...

• DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Wild card find. 1964 D silver Rosey from the "Take a Penny" tray at the Pizza shop.
  • My Wildcard find from my redbull expedition at 3:30 am to a local convenience store.

Story here... Redbull

• Is that house that's in the picture in South Jersey?
    imageimageimage
  • here's another entry for jewelry: huge 14K bracelet
  • Nope, it's not in South Jersey. It's not anywhere near South Jersey.image It's in North Alabama.
    imageimage
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    I'll put my vote in for Millennium's Large Cent. image

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Strange, it looks exactly like a place that I recently found and am looking foreward to getting to.
    imageimageimage
  • here's an exped photo of me from last weekend. did some forest recon, looking for an old campsite. we found it and will go back someday.
  • wildcard: found this jar at the beginning of the month before i got my haircut. its a mason jar filled with old olives.
  • that's both cool and disgusting
    imageimageimage
  • I'd like to enter my Yankee button for the best relic award

el Tesoro Cazador

• Neat Jar. Does it have a date?
    el Tesoro Cazador
  • i don't think the jar is very old. there were several of them laying around the property. the house was only from the 1890's. i pried open another jar to find out they were old nasty olives.
  • I was going to add something to this...but it can't compete with the jar of olives (or the 1798 large cent)
    imageimageimage