Home PSA Set Registry Forum

How Come Nobody Is Complaing About The New Postage Increase?

We were already getting screwed on return postage, now with this new increase its even worse. Since the USPS has not raised its rates, how does PSA justify their rate increase? When the USPS does their annual rate increase in May, will PSA again raise rates?

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>We were already getting screwed on return postage, now with this new increase its even worse. Since the USPS has not raised its rates, how does PSA justify their rate increase? When the USPS does their annual rate increase in May, will PSA again raise rates? >>

Not sure how much they are raising their prices, but USPS is raising most of their prices (Priority, etc.) by approximately 5%-6% beginning January 18, 2009. 1ST class is not changing.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just sent in a 9 card "free" sub which will cost about $9 more for return shipping than it cost to ship to them. However they are running a busines and have costs to cover as well as make a profit. Many sellers charge an additional dollar for each card on multiple purchases. I figured I had a choice of using their competition (not going to happen), not sending in the cards, sending in the cards and not complain, or send in the cards and mutter a little. I think that is what I will do. HEY PSA how about a better shipping & handling rate.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. PSA's postage fees were already outrageous. I can't believe they actually jacked them up again. Very bad move IMO.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    PSA's shipping/handling/insurance cost is and has always been a profit center. While the PSA price increase coincides with the USPS price increase on 1/18/09, the USPS price increase does not affect any of the shipping services that PSA provides. The USPS increase only applies Express Mail, Priority Mail, Parcel Select, Parcel Return Service, Global Express Guaranteed, Express Mail International and Priority Mail International.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA's shipping/handling/insurance cost is and has always been a profit center. >>

Scott, you left out "major" before profit center image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They really score when you're "declared value" is at the low end of the range.

For example, if the cards you're submitting have a declared value of $575 that puts you in the $501 - $1,000 range, and you know the fee they're charging for that range is set up to handle the $1,000 portion of that range, so since they only have to insure for $600 to cover your $575 declared value, the rest of the fee you paid for $601 to $1,000 that you didn't use is gravy.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I'd have no problem with the postage rate increase if they made the current $5 special permanent...

<< <i>They really score when you're "declared value" is at the low end of the range.

For example, if the cards you're submitting have a declared value of $575 that puts you in the $501 - $1,000 range, and you know the fee they're charging for that range is set up to handle the $1,000 portion of that range, so since they only have to insure for $600 to cover your $575 declared value, the rest of the fee you paid for $601 to $1,000 that you didn't use is gravy. >>

I don't think there's any savings for PSA with regard to insurance. Aren't they self-insured? As I understand it, and I may be completely wrong, but they pay for blanket coverage. Based upon their annual paid claims determines their increase in insurance premiums.

Now, if they were actually paying USPS insurance on the Registered Mail, then the scenario described above would be entirely correct.
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They really score when you're "declared value" is at the low end of the range.

For example, if the cards you're submitting have a declared value of $575 that puts you in the $501 - $1,000 range, and you know the fee they're charging for that range is set up to handle the $1,000 portion of that range, so since they only have to insure for $600 to cover your $575 declared value, the rest of the fee you paid for $601 to $1,000 that you didn't use is gravy. >>

Doesn't PSA ship via Registered Mail? The fee structure is not the same as regular insurance. Here is how USPS charges for Registered Mail fees:

Get maximum security for your valuable items with Registered Mail. It incorporates a system of receipts to monitor the movement of the mail from the point of acceptance to delivery. Registered Mail is insured up to $25,000 against loss or damage.

Registered Mail PricesSkip Registered Mail Prices Table
    Declared Value Price
    $0.00 $10.00
    $0.01 to $100 $10.80
    $100.01 to $500 $12.10
    $500.01 to $1,000 $13.30
    $1,000.01 to $2,000 $14.50
    $2,000.01 to $3,000 $15.70
    $3,000.01 to $4,000 $16.90
    $4,000.01 to $5,000 $18.10
    $5,000.01 to $6,000 $19.30
    $6,000.01 to $7,000 $20.50
    $7,000.01 to $8,000 $21.70
    $8,000.01 to $9,000 $22.90
    $9,000.01 to $10,000 $24.10

I've NEVER received cards back from PSA that were not sent via Registered Mail. Also, cost of Registered Mail does not include the price you pay for the actual First Class or Priority shipping. Don;t ever pay for Priority/Registered Mail, because it is going to ship the same speed as First Class since it is signed for at every stop. I ship all of my $1,200+ items via Registered Mail. It's actually cheaper than paying regular insurance at that level.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stand corrected since I thought registered mail insurance went in $100 increments. It's always a good thing when the uninformed become a little more informed, so thank you.
    The question is, does PSA use the USPS insurance when the ship via Registered Mail or do they self-insure? Assuming they self-insure, which I believe to be the case, there's little doubt that what they take in more than covers the few liabilty claims they have as most would be from damage rather than loss and those returns are packaged pretty securely.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Don;t ever pay for Priority/Registered Mail, because it is going to ship the same speed as First Class since it is signed for at every stop.

Jasp I think at some point you have to use priority/Registered. I think it is if you declare 1000.00 or more?

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>Don;t ever pay for Priority/Registered Mail, because it is going to ship the same speed as First Class since it is signed for at every stop.

Jasp I think at some point you have to use priority/Registered. I think it is if you declare 1000.00 or more?

Steve >>

No. Only based on weight which is 13 ounces or more.

I've shipped first class with declared value of 15K.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

<< <i>The question is, does PSA use the USPS insurance when the ship via Registered Mail or do they self-insure? Assuming they self-insure, which I believe to be the case, there's little doubt that what they take in more than covers the few liabilty claims they have as most would be from damage rather than loss and those returns are packaged pretty securely. >>

Registered Mail is automatically insured up to $25,000 against loss or damage.

If you have a lost or damaged package from PSA, you have to go through the usual USPS claim procedure. I would assume that means PSA does not self insure. If they do, it is out of their own pocket. Has anyone here every received a submission back from PSA without the Registered Mail sticker? That sticker will cost you the fees shown based on declared value. I guess PSA could declare at $0 and only pay the base $10.00 fee. I don't know the answer to that.

Jason
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Jason:

Registered mail is not automatically insured, especially up to $25,000. You can insure registered mail for up to $25,000...but it is not automatic.

See here for more details
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    I've never had to pay an additional fee for insurance...

This is what is says on the USPS website:

Registered Mail™ provides the maximum security.
    When you’re sending valuable or irreplaceable items through the mail, protect them with Registered Mail™.

Items you send with Registered Mail are placed under tight security from the point of mailing to the point of delivery, and insured up to $25,000 against loss or damage. And you can verify the date and time of delivery and the delivery attempts online.

And what would be the reason that you have to delcare a value and pay a different fee based on the amount you declare? What am I missing here?

Registered Mail PricesSkip Registered Mail Prices Table
    Declared Value Price
    $0.00 $10.00
    $0.01 to $100 $10.80
    $100.01 to $500 $12.10
    $500.01 to $1,000 $13.30
    $1,000.01 to $2,000 $14.50
    $2,000.01 to $3,000 $15.70
    $3,000.01 to $4,000 $16.90
    $4,000.01 to $5,000 $18.10
    $5,000.01 to $6,000 $19.30
    $6,000.01 to $7,000 $20.50
    $7,000.01 to $8,000 $21.70
    $8,000.01 to $9,000 $22.90
    $9,000.01 to $10,000 $24.10
    $10,000.01 to $11,000 $25.30
    $11,000.01 to $12,000 $26.50
    $12,000.01 to $13,000 $27.70
    $13,000.01 to $14,000 $28.90
    $14,000.01 to $15,000 $30.10
    $15,000.01 to $16,000 $31.30
    $16,000.01 to $17,000 $32.50
    $17,000.01 to $18,000 $33.70
    $18,000.01 to $19,000 $34.90
    $19,000.01 to $20,000 $36.10
    $20,000.01 to $21,000 $37.30
    $21,000.01 to $22,000 $38.50
    $22,000.01 to $23,000 $39.70
    $23,000.01 to $24,000 $40.90
    $24,000.01 to $25,000 $42.10

Jason

From the USPS website:

Insurance Purchased at a Post Office
    • Provides up to $5,000 indemnity coverage for a lost, rifled, or damaged article.

• For items of greater value requiring additional insurance, try Registered Mail™, which covers up to $25,000. Registered Mail can be used with First-Class Mail® and Priority Mail®.

I guess my question would be, how do you ship Registered Mail UN-insured? I guess by declaring the value of $0? If you declare a value, Registered Mail IS automatically insured against loss or damage for that amount.

Jason
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody use their own FedEx account for return shipping from PSA? Is it still an option?
    Mike
    Bosox1976

<< <i>From the USPS website:

Insurance Purchased at a Post Office
    • Provides up to $5,000 indemnity coverage for a lost, rifled, or damaged article.

• For items of greater value requiring additional insurance, try Registered Mail™, which covers up to $25,000. Registered Mail can be used with First-Class Mail® and Priority Mail®.

I guess my question would be, how do you ship Registered Mail UN-insured? I guess by declaring the value of $0? If you declare a value, Registered Mail IS automatically insured against loss or damage for that amount.

Jason >>

My guess is that they insure for upto $100 (typical amount of the deductible for self-insurance) and let their private carrier make up the difference in the event of loss or damage.

As an example (using bogus numbers), if using the declared values on USPS Registered Mail shipping cost $100,000/yr and CU's private insurance were $60,000/yr, that's a $40,000 savings not counting the vigorish they're making on the insurance upcharges in s/h.

It is their business and they are free to charge however they like, but it is sorta comical the volume of threads on these boards about eBay sellers over charging for shipping and PSA/CU seems to get a pass.

BTW, you can still use your own FedEx account for return shipping.

<< <i>

My guess is that they insure for upto $100 (typical amount of the deductible for self-insurance) and let their private carrier make up the difference in the event of loss or damage.

As an example (using bogus numbers), if using the declared values on USPS Registered Mail shipping cost $100,000/yr and CU's private insurance were $60,000/yr, that's a $40,000 savings not counting the vigorish they're making on the insurance upcharges in s/h.

It is their business and they are free to charge however they like, but it is sorta comical the volume of threads on these boards about eBay sellers over charging for shipping and PSA/CU seems to get a pass.

BTW, you can still use your own FedEx account for return shipping. >>

Interesting...So PSA sends return packages via USPS Registered Mail..Without paying for the USPS Registered Mail Service (Fees shown above)...

Love to know how they do that..

Jason
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Actually you can insure first class mail up to $25,000 but my postmaster does not recommend this. It is safer to register it, which has its own fee based on size and weight. The insurance chart you are referring to gets added to the cost of the registered package. If you look at your receipt you will see 2 prices on it: one for regstered mail and one for insurance.

<< <i>Interesting...So PSA sends return packages via USPS Registered Mail..Without paying for the USPS Registered Mail Service (Fees shown above)...

Love to know how they do that.. >>

Jason:

If PSA returns a package via Registered Mail, there is a base fee (package types, level of service and weight) PLUS the Registered Mail Fee which is tiered based upon level of insurance coverage. Assuming that a 3 pound package is sent Registered with $100 of Insurance, the cost would be approximately $23.00 total while if it were to have been insured for $2500 would be around $28.00.

The Registered rates you quoted only cover the Registered Insurance. You still have to pay the base rate shipping BEFORE adding the Registered Mail fees.
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Bosox,
    I use my own Fed Ex account to return from PSA. I use 2 day delivery and its expensive.

<< <i>

<< <i>Interesting...So PSA sends return packages via USPS Registered Mail..Without paying for the USPS Registered Mail Service (Fees shown above)...

Love to know how they do that.. >>

Jason:

If PSA returns a package via Registered Mail, there is a base fee (package types, level of service and weight) PLUS the Registered Mail Fee which is tiered based upon level of insurance coverage. Assuming that a 3 pound package is sent Registered with $100 of Insurance, the cost would be approximately $23.00 total while if it were to have been insured for $2500 would be around $28.00.

The Registered rates you quoted only cover the Registered Insurance. You still have to pay the base rate shipping BEFORE adding the Registered Mail fees. >>

Absolutely..Which i thought I stated above?

<< <i>Also, cost of Registered Mail does not include the price you pay for the actual First Class or Priority shipping >>

jason

• << <i>Does anybody use their own FedEx account for return shipping from PSA? Is it still an option? >>

yes, I use FEDEX ground it is much cheaper and faster... I do not send in high value sub's so it works for me.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    And if you want to protect yourself with paypal one needs to pay for priority/registered
    in order to get the electronic signature.

At least the PO I frequent does anyway.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I am not complaining because I have too much other things to worry about than an increase in postage. I wished this was the worst of my problems.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • It affects me - Im in Australia and the charge for return postage on 1-10 cards has gone up to $41.50. What hurts me right now is that the Aussie dollar is sitting at 71c to the US $1 so it costs me ~ $58.45 AUD for return postage for 1-10 cards.

That is why I try and not think about how much it costs to be an international member of PSA image
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Because there's no use in complaining.image