Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Roberto Clemente Registry Toughest Card

BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi. I'm very new to the registry and I'm trying to do the Clemente Basic Registry. What is his toughest card to get a high grade on besides his rookie? Thanks and looking forward to your answers.

Bobby
"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

Comments

• Options
    Here's an article that will give you an introduction to Clemente collecting:

Clemente SMR Article

Good luck.
  • Options
    Writer 11 thanks very much.
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    I know the 68 Topps 3d is pretty tough........maybe that one..........
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know the 68 Topps 3d is pretty tough........maybe that one.......... >>

I would agree, if not the toughest at least one of the most expensive.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    If your doing the Basic set in PSA 8 or better it's easily the 1958. It is the only year where the PSA 8 quality can vary so much. Just finding an 8 thats centered, with some color, has good focus and has less than 10 print dots is daunting.

The next one that is hard is the 1956. Not hard to find as much as its really popular and people don't sell them that much and when the do come up they sell really well.

1962 is next in toughness as all 62s are hard to come by compared to other 60s. It has really taken a hit in my mind in toughness the last 2 years so getting one under SMR won't be too hard.

Overrated cards in toughness are the 1963s, 1964 and 1971. All are available readily and only the 63 has quality issues that you have to watch for in 8s (print lines, print marks being the main two).

I think the 1970 is much harder to find than the 1971 due to the print line defect. Finding a non print line centered 1970 is harder than finding a centered 1971.

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Morgoth, Thanks for the insight on these cards. I have the 56 in PSA 7, but I do need a 58 and 63. I'm having a tough time finding them in a grade I want. Thanks again Bobby
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Call me crazy but well centered mid-grade 1955 Rookies are darn hard to find.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I don't think the 1972 Daily's Juice issue is a part of the basic set, but I was fortunate to get mine graded many years ago and got a PSA 8. For some reason, PSA won't grade them anymore.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a sweet card. Comparable to Kahn's or Dexter Press for visual appeal.
  • Options
    very nice, how were they issued? Did you have to cut them out or were they just in a package?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    search for SGC cards as well, I have been finding good deals on SGC 84s thru 88s and resubbing them to PSA.
  • Options
    Very cool looking Clemente card.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Morgoth -- To answer your question, I bought that card raw as you see it from Wayne Varner (Zelienople, PA), through his mail order catalog in the early 1990's for about $12 as I recall.

Dan
  • Options

<< <i>I have the 56 in PSA 7, but I do need a 58 and 63. I'm having a tough time finding them in a grade I want. >>

I have this one available. LMK if interested.

Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    I'll vote for the 1958 topps (yellow letter)