Home Metal Detecting
Options

Better finds from 2008

Here are some pics of my better finds for 2008. I was able to get 59 silver coins for the year. I was hoping to make it 60 even, but I couldn't find that last elusive silver coin for the year. Out of the 59, two of them are foreign coins--a Canada dime, a Portugese 2.5 escudo (I think that's what it is) and a silver panda coin from China in a ring.

Edited to add clad info--I managed to find 5109 coins for the year for a total of $285.22.

pennies--3342
nickels--192
dimes--1022
quarters--548
halves--4
dollars--1

I had a few new firsts for the year--all four of the silver halves that I got were the first ones I had gotten. I can't believe that I managed to find 2 silver Benjamin 50C pieces on the same day within a few minutes of one another. I also managed to pull my first dollar coin--a 1979 SBA. I had forgotten that I put it in with my other clads to be rock tumbled--thats the reason it looks like it does.

Here's a closer pic of the halves and the foreign coins minus the silver panda--it's in the bottom right of the first pic.

Here is a pic of some of my silver and gold finds for the year. I managed two gold items--a 10K gold childs coronation ring and a 14K/.925 earring--its at the top left of this pic. the second item up on the left is a gold plated ring--I thought I had the real thing for a few minutes until I started seeing the plating come off. The large silver item on the bottom right has an engraving of what appears to be a pagoda. At first site, I thought it was junk until I flipped it over and spotted sterling 950 on the back. Bottom left is a missileer badge (at least I think it is) and the one next to it appears to be a markmanship badge, both sterling silver.

And last but not least, I think I have found a civil war bullet--I'm not sure if that is what it is or not, but I think it may be. The two pennies with the crosses are pretty cool also--at least I think so.

I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year and everyone is able to find more goodies than they did last year.
Speer34

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    Very impressive haul for the year Speer. I'd love to see a closeup of the Panda ring.
    -Joe

-Weinman Fan
  • Options
    Hey Joe. Here is a link to the post I made back earlier this year about the panda ring. I forgot that I moved the pics around in my photobucket site and I lost the pics in the post, but I'm including a pic of the ring also.

Link for panda ring post

Happy hunting all!!!!
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are my year end totals:

Cents---------------2515
    Nickels---------------224
    Dimes----------------794
    Quarters-------------886
    Halves-------------------0
    Dollars-------------------6 (4 SAC, 1 SBA, 1 J Adams)

Total face value----$343.25

1------Gold Sr Ring
    1------Gold ear ring
    10-----Sterling Silver rings
    2-------Sterling Silver necklace
    1-------Sterling Silver bangle

2-------IHC
    1-------Silver dime

Congrats to Speer34 on all of that SILVER!!!
  • Options
    Dang pocketpiececommems that's alot of change! Back when I was stationed at Beale AFB California I use to find large volumes of coins and silver hunting vacated military housing (usually 10-14 house a weekend) but since I moved back to the Memphis area and gotten older I don't hunt like I use to. I'm curious about the button speer34 found with the star on it. It looks like a Texas Staff officer’s button from the Civil War. If that's what it is it should be worth a chunk of change. There's one at http://relicman.com/ArchiveButtonConStatesTexas.htm identified as B4866 Texas officer staff button (15mm) Backmark: "SCOVILL MF'G CO / WATERBURY" dm
    1860 backmark for a very rare button.
    Stand up shank intact, gilded nondug button
    Ref: Albert TX21, Tice TX232As not listed

el Tesoro Cazador
    Digging trash and treasure since 1977
  • Options
    Heck of a year! Nice job!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options