Home Sports Talk

Is Edgerrin James a Hall of Famer?

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
Is Edgerrin James a Hall of Famer? Clearly his days in the NFL are numbered. Heck, his days might be over. And if it is, here are the pertinent numbers ...

12121 rushing yards
3345 receiving yards
91 career TDs
0 championships

My "gut" feeling says no. But a yes is not inconceivable.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough call, if Curtis Martin gets in then Edge should be a lock.

I think he has about 2 years and about 1200 more yards left in him- providing he gets enough carries.
  • No. I feel bad for the guy too, too bad he wasted his last few years in Az.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna have to say no. I love the guy being that I'm a UM fan but ever since that injury.......
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I will always remember him wrecking UCLA's 10-0 perfect season when he ran for about 299 for Miami. Dang!
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    15,000 yards? why not?
    Martin is 4th all time he should be a 1st ballot lock.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    If he can add another 3000 yards rushing and another 25 TDs to his resume, then it's possible.

As of right now, no way.

He did run for 100 yards on 14 carries in week 17. His career might not be over. He needs to get on a different team.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, still zero (0) championships for Mr. James. Still yes or still no as a Hall of Famer? In light of the game AND this years inductees, I have to think no.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unfortunately, still zero (0) championships for Mr. James. Still yes or still no as a Hall of Famer? In light of the game AND this years inductees, I have to think no.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

They should have given him at least one shot at the end zone before throwing the 100 Yard Pick Six.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will always remember him wrecking UCLA's 10-0 perfect season when he ran for about 299 for Miami. Dang! >>

I don't like you any more...Thanks for bringing up bad memories. lol
  • 12121 rushing yards
    3345 receiving yards
    91 career TDs
    0 championships

wow i didnt realize he had that many yds - jim brown only has 200 more yds - i know different eras but still i think anyone who passes jim brown should be at least considered for HOF?

as far as 0 rings, how many rings did Marino, Fouts or barry sanders have? 0 too? why does the ring matter for the HOF?
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
    No.

<< <i>why does the ring matter for the HOF? >>

Because you play to win the game.

But, I suppose, you could play to ...

1. Amass a pile of stats;
    2. To get paid; or
    3. To become famous.

/s/ JackWESQ

• So Marino, Fouts, Tarkenton, Barry Sanders, OJ Simpson should not be hofs

but Dilfer, ripken and eli manning should be HOFs?

making to the hof is about individual stats, winning Superbowls is about having a great team
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
    Super Bowl wins help the guy with marginal stats like Kurt Warner... and maybe Edge if he had won a Super Bowl.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Super Bowl 3 sure helped Joe Namath.
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    IMO, he will need at least 13,000 yards rushing and 100 TDs before even getting in the serious HOF discussion.

Championships aren't everything, but they certainly carry alot of weight with the voters. Add a Super Bowl MVP to his resume and he probably doesn;t need another yard. But as it stands now, he'll 13,000 to have any shot, and 14,000 to become a "lock"...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Although I think they should be discounted, Super Bowl wins do count for something.....its only reason why John Stallworth and Joe Namath are in.

I think his final career numbers will be too good to keep him out - two more mediocre seasons and he's #5 all-time rushing yardage leader...he'll be one of those 8th or 10th year eligible type guys who eventually make it in.
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Although I think they should be discounted, Super Bowl wins do count for something.....its only reason why John Stallworth and Joe Namath are in.

I think his final career numbers will be too good to keep him out - two more mediocre seasons and he's #5 all-time rushing yardage leader...he'll be one of those 8th or 10th year eligible type guys who eventually make it in. >>

If the numbers were all that mattered you'd be right. But as Cris carter has shown us the past couple of years, the inflated numbers of the modern era are becoming less and less important. And I think that is great. Stats can be very misleading when trying to decipher how good a player was week to week. Is Matt Cassel a better QB than Rothlisberger because he had better stats this season?

If you think Super Bowl's is the only reason John Stallworth and Joe Namath are in, you've been playing too much Madden. Put away the stat sheets and watch some game film of these 2 guys. They were dominant players in their era's.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No. I feel bad for the guy too, too bad he wasted his last few years in Az. >>

Agreed but I don't feel bad for him at all.

He left a great IND team to get paid in AZ. Had he stayed in IND, probably be a second or third year lock.. Could have padded stats and flashed the bling but instead, went where former great RBs go to die.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Yes, he is. Nobody over 12,000 yards who is eligible for the Hall is not in. He'll eventually get over 13,000 yards, 100 TD's, and it's a done deal.

And championships don't matter. Ask Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<< If you think Super Bowl's is the only reason John Stallworth and Joe Namath are in, you've been playing too much Madden. Put away the stat sheets and watch some game film of these 2 guys. They were dominant players in their era's. >>>

I think you might be throwing around the word "dominant" a little too loosely here. I'll freely admit that I've never seen 1 minute of Joe Namath in game action. Numbers don't always tell the story, but they seem to indicate that Namath was good, but not "dominant". I realize the passing game was MUCH different back then, but his TD:INT ratio is horrendous. He had more INT's than TDs in 11 of his 13 seasons! Beyond that, he had a .500 career record. I think if the Jets got blown out in the Super Bowl like eveyone was predicting, there is no way Namath gets in.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    James will get in. He was an excellent player for a number of years who still shows flashes of being a complete back. He has good hands on the receiving end also. If Curtis Martin does not get in, that's just crazy.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Here's the current rushing list. Sorry, anyone who cracks the top 10 as he is going to do is going to get in the HOF. Running the football is running the football, in any era. I'm not a fan of him either way, but this is one case where the number speaks for itself. By the end of next year, he will at least pass Brown for 8th and maybe Dorsett. And Curtis Martin is a stone cold lock.

1 Emmitt Smith 18,355
    2 Walter Payton 16,726
    3 Barry Sanders 15,269
    4 Curtis Martin 14,101
    5 Jerome Bettis 13,662
    6 Eric Dickerson 13,259
    7 Tony Dorsett 12,739
    8 Jim Brown 12,312
    9 Marshall Faulk 12,279
    10 Marcus Allen 12,243
    11 EDGERRIN JAMES 12,121
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ow i didnt realize he had that many yds - jim brown only has 200 more yds - i know different eras but still i think anyone who passes jim brown should be at least considered for HOF? >>

Jim Brown played in only 118 games were James has played in 141. It's not even close. Please don't put James in the same class as Brown. To me James is not a HOF.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
    Well, it appears that Mr. James has joined the ranks of the unemployed. Will he play again? Perhaps, but it's no guarantee. UNFORTUNATELY, I still say no to him being elected to the Hall of Fame. But I hope he proves me wrong.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • He'll be picked up shortly...the reason he wasn't traded is that every team knew that Arizona was going to release him, even further proven when they drafted a running back.

He'll have plenty of teams wanting to pick him up, but even if he didn't I don't know how he doesn't get in the hall.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he'll play in the NFL in 2009 and will make the HOF upon retirement.
  • Happy birthday Edge!
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    We will find out if he get's any consideration in 2 more years.