Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Stewart Blay's First Lincoln Cent

Stewart's first Lincoln cent is set to cross the auction block at FUN. It's the 09-S in NGC 67RD.

With all the posts about the Jack Lee sale and pedigree, I thought the sale of Stewart's first Lincoln was significant. If any pedigree is valuable in this series, it is a Stewart Blay pedigree. Then again, the coin has to sell on its own merits image.

Jack

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a Lincoln Cent collector, but if I was I would put more value on Stewarts cents as I would on Jack's Morgans and WLH's.

JMHO
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Jack,

"First" in what respect?
  • Options
    GerryGerry Posts: 456
    As Heritage says:

Consigned by New York collector Stewart Blay, this coin, purchased in 1988 is the very first certified Lincoln that he ever bought. Mr. Blay went on to form one of the most complete, most amazing, collections of U.S. and Canadian copper coins. His coins were recently displayed at the 2008 ANA convention in Baltimore. Offering this piece, the first Lincoln that he ever bought, Mr. Blay hopes that this 1909-S will offer the new owner inspiration to pursue a similar collecting goal.

Pretty nifty
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Not a PCGS coin? Is there a story here? image
  • Options

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear.

As Gerry pointed out, with the citation, it is Stewart's first CERTIFIED Lincoln.

I agree with Gerry, pretty nifty.

Jack

• Options
    Wow. 20+ years in an NGC slab. image

Wonder how many grading fees it generated for PCGS over that time trying to get it into the "right" holder. imageimageimage
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what kind of price tag you could place on the entire Blay collection of copper coins, if it ended up on a future auction ???
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We copper nuts focus a lot on Stewart's coins, but I feel compelled to say that he is the collector's best friend out there. He has done more for you than you realize, whether you have crossed paths with him or not. Others who know him would agree.
    Doug
  • Options
    Would agree 110%! He is a true gentleman and a real down to earth kinda guy.
  • Options
    Who is Stewart?
  • Options
    ChevyroseChevyrose Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2022 6:55PM

• Options
    ChevyroseChevyrose Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

I have plenty of inspiration in pursuing a similar collecting goal

Thanks for everything Stewart

See you on the other side