Home Metal Detecting
Options

What will be your first coin find of 2009?

Comments

• Options
    i hope something gold, something old,and rare.
  • Options
    I'm going detecting tomorrow for a couple hours with the detetctor I got for Christmas. I'd be willing to bet my first coin will be a lincoln cent. I hope it's a 1909s VDB or a 1955 double die!
    el Tesoro Cazador
    Digging trash and treasure since 1977
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eTC, I would be willing to bet that you will be the first one to silver and your first coin will be a Wheatie
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    I'll let you know in April.

Happy New Year.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    I hope its silver. Where I'm going is where I found 3 of the silver quarters, 3 of the silver dimes and most of the wheaties in December. It's several acres or blocks of old naval military housing built around World War two and demo'd in the late 1990's. It's hunted almost daily by the President (or he was the last time I spoke with him) of the Memphis Metal Detecting club. I hunted it soon after they tore the homes down and was finding at least a couple hundred coins each time (8 hours of detecting) with lots of wheaties and silver. There have been lots of rings and jewelry found there as well. Of course after 10 years of numerous people hunting it the finds are far a few between. I average a coin every 7 minutes or so. One of the reasons I think I'm find more goodies now is that I went on the internet and printed off a aerial photo of the site when the homes were there and one of the homes gone. I hunt from where the very front of the house was out about ten feet toward the road. Most that have detected it hunt from the road toward the front of the house. The closer you get to the house the more trash since it was demo'd. Everyone seems to hunt for the easy stuff and leave the trashy area for me. Also unknown to me till last year was that many of the home sites had court yards surrounded by the three homes or apartments. Virgin territory for me. Anyway it belongs to the city of Millington Tennessee now so anyone can hunt it without permission.
    Keep it swinging! el Tesoro Cazador
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first find for the New Year was a dateless zincoln. My second was a North Carolina quarter.
  • Options
    My first find of the year was an 1883 Indian head cent. image I found it today at an old house that I have been detecting around every winter for the past few years. It is my first IHC and my first 1800s coin, so I accomplished a couple of milestones today.
    imageimage
    Always on the lookout for a silver opportunity.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Very nice Bamashooter. I've yet to find an Indian Cent. Someday I will image

I figured my first coin would be a zincoln--I managed a clad Rosie instead. I did manage to get out today and find a few other things including a 1950D Rosie and a silver Ring.

Pics to follow later and hopefully a post with my finds from 2008.

Happy hunting and Happy New Year to all.
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice find Derek. I see you've thrown down a new challenge. image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Just found a dollar bill blowing down the road. Looked some for his brothers Franklin, Jackson, Hamilton and Lincoln with no luck. You guys are doing great! A IHC, silver dime, silver ring and some clad, zinc and copper. I'm hoping to go on my first dirt fishing trip today if my wife quites coming up with honey do's. I'll be lucky if I get to go today.
    el Tesoro Cazador
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    Looks like I'm gonna have to wait until about May to find out. 30+ inches on the ground already. image
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    Well I got to go for a little while this afternoon. My first coin of 2009 was a 1964 memorial cent. I did find 38 coins including 6 wheaties. Had a guy come up and talk to me about detecting and he's gonna take me Civil War relic hunting sometimes soon. Looking forward to that! Keep them swinging!
    el Tesoro Cazador
  • Options
    you guy,s are killing me. im stuck indoors watching the snow come down.i refer to this as the devil..........