Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thinking of purchasing my first real coin

I have some coins but nothing major. I have a bag of 90% and filled whitman albums with coins from Circ. I was just looking through the BST and there is a new member there with a 1916s Merc dime that really caught my eye for some reason. I would like to put together a nice type set of 20th century coins and fill one of those frames to hang. I have one of the whitman folder that I filled with circ coins but would like a nice example of each. Wonder if the dime is priced right and if putting it in the frame with the cardboard lock in feature would be safe for the coins. Would they tone? Could someone give me an estimate of what it would cost to fill one of those with decent AU or so coins? Thanks for any help.
Its all relative

Comments

• That 16-S dime looks really nice to me, and at least from the pic, looks to be a higher grade.
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins in one of those 20th century type set hangies will probably tone somewhat eventually, but that is not really a bad thing. It is what metal does.

The only really expensive coins in that set in AU are going to be the Barber half (probably in around $350) and quarter ($125-175). After that, they can mostly be done for well under $100 if you keep your eyes open.

Make a deliberate attempt to get coins that go well together. It will pay off.
    mirabela

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file