Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FRANKLIN COLLECTORS: NEED RECORD PRICE INFO ON KNOCKOUT FRANKLIN/KENNEDY

“The Complete Guide to Franklin and Kennedy Half Dollars”

To be published by Whitman books

Rick Tomaska author

Record Prices is an important feature of the book.

I am accumulating record price information for every date in the series, mint state and proof, for Franklin and Kennedy half dollars.

If you know of a sale of a spectacular Franklin or Kennedy half dollar that can be verified, with some specifics on the coin, I would appreciate you relaying me the information. The name of the party can be kept private if you desire.

This is very, very important for both the Franklin and Kennedy series. Novice collectors to these series’ sometimes must rely on auction records or Price Guides for valuations. Unfortunately, auction records and Price Guides typically only reflect the valuations for generic examples within the grade.

New collectors need to know about the market and valuations for the spectacular coins as well, which are not typically reflected in auction or Price Guide records, if they hope to assemble a truly superb set in either series!

Warmest regards,

Rick

Comments

• Options
    rick -

I have a PCGS MS-65 1964 Kennedy I paid Pat Bradick $ 500.00 for .........

could be that's a record price .

I also have a 1952-D PCGS MS-65 FBL Franklin I bought from you @ $ 1450.00 image
  • Options

<< <i>rick -

I also have a 1952-D PCGS MS-65 FBL Franklin I bought from you @ $ 1450.00 image >>

I wouldn't admitt to either one of them! image

As the saying goes....."A fool and his money are soon parted" image
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

<< <i>rick -

I also have a 1952-D PCGS MS-65 FBL Franklin I bought from you @ $ 1450.00 image >>

Wow. That's some heavy prices you paid for those coins! I'm sure they are spectacular image

We gotta see some pics of those monsters. Please image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options

I only paid $50 bucks for this one....and got the Quarter,Nickel,Dime and Cent too!.........image

imageimage
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember that Kennedy and would buy it back, today, in a heartbeat for $500.00 and not blink and eye.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>I remember that Kennedy and would buy it back, today, in a heartbeat for $500.00 and not blink and eye. >>

Don't tell him that! Now there is no way he will sell it for less image
  • Options

<< <i>I remember that Kennedy and would buy it back, today, in a heartbeat for $500.00 and not blink and eye. >>

so TAClough , i'm not the only fool image
  • Options

<< <i>

so TAClough , i'm not the only fool image >>

I know image I have bought a few off of Pat too, he is great to work with image
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    So are any of you Franklin guys gonna meet up at FUN? Maybe Rick would be gracious enuf to let us meet there first...

john
  • Options
    A 1953-S NGC MS63FBL just sold on Teletrade Dec. 28 for $5600 Link
  • Options
    i blew up the T.T. pix on the 53-S FBL ; sure did not look to be FBL to me image
  • Options
    I remember this coin was on Ebay this past year, it only got up to around $1500, reserve not met.

Edit: If I was going to pay $5600 for a coin, I'd want to see it in hand or have a trusted person view it for me.
  • Options
    Good chance that coin will get returned.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    So are any of you Franklin guys gonna meet up at FUN?

I'd be interested.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Some public sales I know of:

1964 PCGS PR68DCAM Accented Hair Kennedy: $12,650 January 2008 Heritage Signature Sale FUN
    1965 PCGS MS67DCAM SMS Kennedy: $12,650 January 2008 Heritage Signature Sale FUN
    1966 PCGS MS68DCAM SMS Kennedy: $10.925 January 2008 Heritage Signature Sale FUN
    1966 PCGS MS67 Business Strike Kennedy: $7392 January 11, 2009 Teletrade

There are also a couple private treaty sales that went high(er), but those are private.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I'm sprised no one has pointed this out already:

Probably a majority of record prices for both series have been R&I transactions. So just research your sales records Rick.image

You manage to get HUGE $$ for the good uns.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ....I don't think R.T. had any thing to do with that $ 1400.00 PCGS MS-64 1949-D Franklin ! image
  • Options

<< <i>....I don't think R.T. had any thing to do with that $ 1400.00 PCGS MS-64 1949-D Franklin ! image >>

Was there something special about this coin? Where did this sale take place? Ebay? TT?
  • Options
    "Was there something special about this coin?"

I got's ta luver you man ............. u think about that question ..........

and I will give you the $1400.00 answer ;

this luvable nut out of Chicago put the coin in a PCGS 64 holder up on ebay with a $1400 min. bid- i saw it and wrote him the classic "what the heck are you smoking ?"

Month's later I saw the coin at a large show and in hand the thing was awesome and as the sweat was beading up on my forehead and after 1/2 hour of negotiating -

I was about to pull the trigger and was wondering what kockandbull story I could feed my wife about using family money for the purchase when

along comes this Hi rolling dealer I have known for 20 years .

He's a Franklin guru too and he smelled blood in the water ............

without so much a bat of the eye he jumps on the piece and buys it out from under my perspiration soaked body .

Shocked ( and at the same time relieved) i limp home and wonder what the heck just happened .

Next month he emails me and very excitedly tells me it graded MS-66 !!!!!!!! (he had a good laugh at my expense)

Another month go's by and I see the jewel in the Guru's case in a nice new PCGS mS-65 FBL holder .....

Now i figure the Guru guy stepped on my toe's big time and i shame him into selling me the piece ,

which he had promised to do from the get-go

So I take 2 large out of my 401K and I tuck the coin and this story away until now ............

Was there something "special" about this coin ? oh hell yes ! It's a full blown mint set Rainbow and if your lucky -

you might see it in Tomask's new book -but don't count on it ............

image edited to protect the innocent
  • Options

<< <i>"Was there something special about this coin?"

this luvable nut out of Chicago put the coin in a PCGS 64 holder up on ebay with a $1400 min. bid- i saw it and wrote him the classic "what the heck are you smoking ?"

Month's later I saw the coin at a large show and in hand the thing was awesome and as the sweat was beading up on my forehead and after 1/2 hour of negotiating -

I was about to pull the trigger and was wondering what kockandbull story I could feed my wife about using family money for the purchase when

without so much a bat of the eye he jumps on the piece and buys it out from under my perspiration soaked body .

Shocked ( and at the same time relieved) i limp home and wonder what the heck just happened .

Next month he emails me and very excitedly tells me it graded MS-66 !!!!!!!! (he had a good laugh at my expense)

Another month go's by and I see the jewel in the Guru's case in a nice new PCGS mS-65 FBL holder .....

Now i figure the Guru guy stepped on my toe's big time and i shame him into selling me the piece ,

So I take 2 large out of my 401K and I tuck the coin and this story away until now ............

Was there something "special" about this coin ? oh hell yes ! It's a full blown mint set Rainbow and if your lucky -

image edited to protect the innocent >>

wow- thats a neat story
  • Options
    i am looking forward to some record prices paid in this book
  • Options

<< <i>i am looking forward to some record prices paid in this book >>

Your the only one paying them as the rest of us won't touch em image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>i am looking forward to some record prices paid in this book >>

Your the only one paying them as the rest of us won't touch em image

image >>

OOUCH ! a few record prices paid are mine -I'll give you that image
  • Options
    Hello, I'm looking for the very first Franklin that I should collect any favorites?
  • Options

<< <i>

wow- thats a neat story >>

'dis be 'dat coin
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

wow- thats a neat story >>

'dis be 'dat coin >>

I will give you my child for that coin lol (not really but wow)!!!! They graded that a 65?
  • Options
    yes PCGS did ! bless them ..........
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭

<< <i>yes PCGS did ! bless them .......... >>

I dont know maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me or the color is just hypnotizing me but it looks like a 66 to me image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file