Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

There is another Thornhead

messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
Cutting to the chase, I just got a letter back from Leroy Van Allen today confirming a new discovery in the 1921-S Thornhead sequence. Named VAM 1B3a, this is the polished die state between VAM 1B3 and 1B4. Unfortunately, this isn't my coin, but it is one I borrowed from another VAM collector for photos of a VAM 1B2. It is in an ANACS holder labeled VAM 1B2, and John Roberts, their attributer, called it a "swing and a miss" on his part. The wheatleaf is overpolished, which caused me to think VAM 1B6 until I looked more closely. As this variety could easily be confused with the VAM 1B6, and since a "this post is useless without pics" post would result if I didn't post them, below are some pictures to tell them apart. I don't know how rare this is. There are probably some misattributed VAM 1B6s that are actually this variety, but a small survey on VAMWorld didn't turn up any.

Die polishing lines are in different directions. Also note the remnant of the spike in the upper part of the B that is present in the VAM 1B6.

On the reverse, there is no gouge between the E and D in the VAM 1B3a.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file