Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Can a PSA 9 OC be upgraded to a PSA 7.5

First off a Happy and Healthy New Year to all board members. I was wondering what you folks out there think the possibility of a slabbed card graded PSA 9 OC which for registry purposes is a PSA 7 being "Upgraded" after review to a PSA 7.5 in the registry. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone even know what PSA official stand is on the 1/2 points being applied to cards with qualifiers. Please opine with your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    No .5 for Qs.

But, if it was raw, one never knows what might happen.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Like mentioned no Q's for .5's

But if cracked out and sent in raw with no Q's it could go the other way too, Depending on how severe the said card is OC I've seen a PSA 9oc receive a straight grade of 5 due to being so off center..
  • Options
    I pulled this off the PSA Grading Standards section .

Finally, keep in mind that qualifiers will not apply to grades that achieve the half-point increase since, by definition; these cards have to exhibit high-end qualities within the grade in order to warrant consideration. For example, there will not be cards graded PSA NM-MT-Plus 8.5 OC or PSA EX-MT-Plus 6.5 PD since the half-point is reserved for high-end cards within each grade.

This is what I find confusing. I get it when they say they would not give a raw card with a qualifier a 1/2 point designation. But if a card such as a PSA 9 OC was slabbed in the past because its only problem was its centering and would otherwise be mint, is it to much to assume that it would not be a high end PSA 7 with the 1/2 point bump if the current system was in effect at the time?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I pulled this off the PSA Grading Standards section .

Finally, keep in mind that qualifiers will not apply to grades that achieve the half-point increase since, by definition; these cards have to exhibit high-end qualities within the grade in order to warrant consideration. For example, there will not be cards graded PSA NM-MT-Plus 8.5 OC or PSA EX-MT-Plus 6.5 PD since the half-point is reserved for high-end cards within each grade.

This is what I find confusing. I get it when they say they would not give a raw card with a qualifier a 1/2 point designation. But if a card such as a PSA 9 OC was slabbed in the past because its only problem was its centering and would otherwise be mint, is it to much to assume that it would not be a high end PSA 7 with the 1/2 point bump if the current system was in effect at the time? >>

From what you have written, I would agree that if you sent the card in for review you would NOT get the 7.5 without the Qualifier ... it would come back a straight 7. I have NO experience with this and am just basing it from what you have written.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I don't think an otherwise OC card would grade 7.5 (cracked from a 9OC slab)

With that said I would think a .5 is possible at the other end of the spectrum.

3.5 and lower.

Steve
    Good for you.